Load times getting worse?

RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
Originally, on build 228 even, I was getting acceptable load times on the following PC:

i5-750 @ 2.69 GHz
4 GB RAM
HD Radeon 6970 2GB
640 GB HDD
550W Corsair PSU
10 Mbps DL/ 1 Mbps UL
Windows 7 64-bit

Acceptable being around 15-20 seconds, on average. I was loading in at about the same comparable rate as all of my friends I play with, faster than most, a bit slower than some. However, in the past three days, my loading times are now the slowest of the group by a large margin. Nothing on my PC has changed in terms of hardware or software, and it all checks out as being generally not broken (No hardware failure, no malware, no hidden processes taking 50% of my CPU, no over-temperature situations, or anything else). The only thing that I changed was I turned on Atmospherics. Turning it off obviously had no effect on load times. I'm loading slower than friends that have 2 GB RAM (that can barely play the game) and slow dual-core AMD processors. Everytime I load into a match, it says the thing about "Computing shaders for first use," but it zooms by quickly, and then it hangs on "Precaching 0/9XX" for up to thirty seconds. Whereas before, the precaching process started immediately, and took about half as long as it does now. Verifying the integrity of the game files didn't help, my hard drive is regularly defragmented, and I have no hard drive errors when checking it with certain Linux tools (note that I am running Windows 7 x64 to play the game.) What could have changed that would cause my loading times to triple? What can I do to get them down to previous amounts? It really sucks loading in last and being the one person on my TeamSpeak that is on a different team every single match.

Comments

• iambeanieiambeanie Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169281Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm having the exact same problem. I don't see the shaders bit anymore but it hangs on precaching and takes a good few years to get into the game.

Specs:

i7-3820 @ 3.60GHz
    16GB RAM
    HD Radeon 6990 4GB
    tested on both 128GB OCZ Vertex 3 and Black Caviar 2TB
    850W Corsair PSU
    Windows 7 64-bit

I'm going to try out a few of the graphics settings to see if i can reduce any part of the loading, will report back.

EDIT: SOLVED

I had a similar problem in saints row the third, with extremely long loading times and the same solution has worked here. Simply turn off vertical sync, something about ATI cards and recent drivers screws it up for some games. It has worked for me so i hope it works for you but i'm now loading in almost instantly which is absolutely fantastic!!
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simply turn off vertical sync, something about ATI cards<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wish it could work for nVidia cards as well...
  • RaepopRaepop Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165010Members
    edited November 2012
    Never had Vsync on (ATI card) and I have abysmal loadtimes too. Takes like 5 mins to get into a new server.

Specs are something like..

I5-2500k
    8gb corsair dominator
    7200rpm hdd
    Radeon HD 6950
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    Yeah, VSync has never been turned on here.