regen/adrenaline/camo buff

maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
Ok, so my biggest flaw as a com would probably be that i pretty much refuse to upgrade any of these until very late game. In my opinion cara/celerity/silence is a better combination for every life form, and doubling up on upgrades before things like spores/blink/stomp and shift, is poor res management.

If i get a regen/adren for a player i just sunk 60 res to make him how much better? If i thought half my team would prefer these upgrades Id consider it but i dont get that feeling.

So id simply like to see a buff to adren/regen so i can be less angry when i see people using them.... i dont know how youd buff camo but by the time I have a shade hive im starting to drop shades all over the map so i dnt know why you need it.

Comments

• PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016967:date=Nov 9 2012, 02:26 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 9 2012, 02:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So id simply like to see a buff to adren/regen so i can be less angry when i see people using them.... i dont know how youd buff camo but by the time I have a shade hive im starting to drop shades all over the map so i dnt know why you need it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Adren is good for gorges/spore/umbra lerks.
    It needs to be 150% pool + 150% regen to be viable for anything else.
  • Shr3dShr3d Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58265Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Camo is situational at best and I think you shouldn't be able to be detected by Observatories when you're cloaked with camo skill. That'd make it useful.

Adrenaline is amazing for Gorges so I disagree on it being poor res management.

Regen isn't great at the moment, perhaps provide 50% passive health regen in combat and 100% extra outside of combat.
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    edited November 2012
    If you have a gorge players who don't simply camp the whole game behind their pitiful wall of clogs and hydra but actually support players with healing, bile bomb and suppressive fire, not researching adrenaline for them is you failing. Those extra healing sprays or bile bombs they get with adrenaline is worth far more then anything celerity can provide for them.

Lerks and Fade benefit from adrenaline too, although it is not so clear cut there, as there are several players that swear by celerity on Fades. Still majority of Fade and Lerk players would get far more benefits and be able to utilize adrenaline far better than celerity.

In short: Adrenaline is actually useful, and should be researched after celerity in the mid-game once fades/lerks hit the field or you need battle gorges to pocket heal your early onos.

You are completely correct thought that Regeneration and Camouflage are completely useless and there is no point to research them instead of, or even in addition to Carapace and Silence,
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2016981:date=Nov 9 2012, 02:37 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 9 2012, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adren is good for gorges/spore/umbra lerks.
    It needs to be 150% pool + 150% regen to be viable for anything else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree it should be 150%/150% but until then... once you use up your energy as an adrenline alien your back to being stock with effectivly no advantage.... Celerity is about reducing your dependence on energy so you dont run out.

For lerk you need celerity to avoid SG a slow lerk is a dead lerk.... unless they bring back NS1 ranged spores...

For gorge, running is surviving, and without a shift near by you cant spam anything without running out of energy.

for fade, a larger energy pool is nice, but without a shift nearby to fill it up your nearly as handycapped as a fade with no shift upgrades, where as with celerity your dependance on energy is minimal.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I agree with this entirely - even when I gorge I go for celerity because I can't keep up with the rest of the team otherwise to get in BB or heal them during an attack, and it's even easier for a marine to chase down a slow gorge than a celerity gorge ^^

New adren I would only ever really use as fade or lerk and even then I prefer celerity because I feel like it rewards better play and more careful resource management.
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2016993:date=Nov 9 2012, 03:46 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 9 2012, 03:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For gorge, running is surviving, and without a shift near by you cant spam anything without running out of energy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Celerity takes a few moments to kick in if you were standing still, and is instantly canceled if you take a damage. If you are good enough to get away from position before marines start firing at you, you don't need celerity to survive, and if you are bad/unfortunate enough to not being able to do that celerity wont help you escape anyway. If you have trouble catching up to your team mates, learn the magic of gorge drifting.

Meanwhile, Adrenaline gives you greater efficiency when you need to vomit your entire energy reserve onto near-death Onos and greater energy stockpile (even without faster regeneration) gives you greater flexibility as you usually have enough energy for a few extra bile bombs or heals that you wouldn't have as celerity gorge.

Adrenaline could use a slight buff, yeah, but even so, it is superior for Gorges and useful for Lerks and Fades even in its current state..
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    It is true that for a gorge, running is surviving. But whether a gorge gets adrenaline or celerity, they will be able to run away. Celerity will give the speed to regular walking. Adrenaline will give speed using the belly slide, which takes energy. I usually only take adrenaline with gorge to heal better and belly slide to run away.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i'm surprised noone's mentioned the usefulness of adrenaline for fade.

celerity is good n all, but with double adrenaline you can use twice as much blink/shadow step which would surely compensate for a lack of 'out of combat' speed.

to be honest i've been using adrenaline for everything, because even as skulk i often lack the adrenaline for 1 more leap to finish off a marine - and onos just seems to be out of energy immediately after killing a couple of marine so you don't even have the energy to 'charge' escape.

it's celerity that needs a buff :D
    <!--quoteo(post=2017012:date=Nov 9 2012, 03:03 PM:name=Apreche2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apreche2 @ Nov 9 2012, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is true that for a gorge, running is surviving. But whether a gorge gets adrenaline or celerity, they will be able to run away. Celerity will give the speed to regular walking. Adrenaline will give speed using the belly slide, which takes energy. I usually only take adrenaline with gorge to heal better and belly slide to run away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Im pretty sure bellyslide isnt affected by how much energy you have only by having enough.... second belly slide removes any ability to strafe and dodge, so unless you have a downhill ramp to give you a huge speed boost Id prefer to use celerity and jump erratically then bellyslide in a strait line.

Also as far as celerity Im pretty sure it functions similar to wall hoping, where momentum can be maintained by jumping and minimizing time in contact with the ground, so if you do get hit, you may lose celerity, but if you may be able to maintain more of your speed
    <!--quoteo(post=2017021:date=Nov 9 2012, 03:10 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 9 2012, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm surprised noone's mentioned the usefulness of adrenaline for fade.

celerity is good n all, but with double adrenaline you can use twice as much blink/shadow step which would surely compensate for a lack of 'out of combat' speed.

to be honest i've been using adrenaline for everything, because even as skulk i often lack the adrenaline for 1 more leap to finish off a marine - and onos just seems to be out of energy immediately after killing a couple of marine so you don't even have the energy to 'charge' escape.

it's celerity that needs a buff :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

did you just promote adrenaline for onos? ...sorry i cant even consider any other argument or reasoning you may have made.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2017029:date=Nov 9 2012, 03:17 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 9 2012, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im pretty sure bellyslide isnt affected by how much energy you have only by having enough.... second belly slide removes any ability to strafe and dodge, so unless you have a downhill ramp to give you a huge speed boost Id prefer to use celerity and jump erratically then bellyslide in a strait line.

Also as far as celerity Im pretty sure it functions similar to wall hoping, where momentum can be maintained by jumping and minimizing time in contact with the ground, so if you do get hit, you may lose celerity, but if you may be able to maintain more of your speed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if you take damage you LOSE celerity though... wtf are you in some kind of western movie where you do a little dance and the bullets ricochet around your feet ? :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh4Kx9IqIZw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh4Kx9IqIZw</a>

damn, remo - you're good!
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    My upgrade path as comm is nearly always celerity then carapace, followed by silence and adrenaline in either order depending on number of hives. I only bother with regeneration and camouflage if I have res to spare. Abilities are a bit more flexible, leap is nearly always first but priorities for blink bile and spores change game to game. I'd like to see regeneration and adrenaline changed to be useful.

I think for regen the comment about 50% regeneration even in combat, 100% out of combat and maybe a faster switch to go from combat to non-combat speed would make it useful. Means if a fade or skulk chewing a res node manages to kill the marine who came to clear them out they can carry on chewing the res node and not be killed by the next stray bullet.
    Adrenaline was much more useful when it speed up energy restore, maybe a shift to slightly faster restore and larger energy store would make it useful again.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017057:date=Nov 9 2012, 03:41 PM:name=Emoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Emoo @ Nov 9 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My upgrade path as comm is nearly always celerity then carapace, followed by silence and adrenaline in either order depending on number of hives. I only bother with regeneration and camouflage if I have res to spare. Abilities are a bit more flexible, leap is nearly always first but priorities for blink bile and spores change game to game. I'd like to see regeneration and adrenaline changed to be useful.

I think for regen the comment about 50% regeneration even in combat, 100% out of combat and maybe a faster switch to go from combat to non-combat speed would make it useful. Means if a fade or skulk chewing a res node manages to kill the marine who came to clear them out they can carry on chewing the res node and not be killed by the next stray bullet.
    Adrenaline was much more useful when it speed up energy restore, maybe a shift to slightly faster restore and larger energy store would make it useful again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

regen in combat would make it too much of a crossover with carapace though... i kinda like regen as skulk or lerk, if you win your 1v1 then you can heal up and always enter your next fight with full hp.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    - Adren should come with a moderate regeneration buff when not attacking to reduce the amount of time it takes to get back to full effectiveness.

- Regen should work constantly like in NS1, maybe at a slower pace in combat; there's no reason for it to be out-of-combat only. It doesn't conflict with Carapace because most combat is too fast for it to make a significant difference to longevity, it's just nice not to have to worry about catching a stray bullet or two while healing.

- Camo should work like NS1 - always on outside of combat, with only partial cloaking while running or using movement skills.

If you're noticing a pattern, yes, these upgrades were pretty much fine in NS1 after years of balancing. The differences in NS2 pretty much feel like change for change's sake.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017066:date=Nov 9 2012, 03:55 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 9 2012, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->regen in combat would make it too much of a crossover with carapace though... i kinda like regen as skulk or lerk, if you win your 1v1 then you can heal up and always enter your next fight with full hp.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah but without cara wining your 1v1 is a bit harder. Also, between the current smallish map size and lerk/skulk speed with celerity you can run to a hive heal back up and be back attacking in nearly the same time it takes for regen to heal you back to full
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2017071:date=Nov 9 2012, 04:04 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 9 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Adren should come with a moderate regeneration buff when not attacking to reduce the amount of time it takes to get back to full effectiveness.

- Regen should work constantly like in NS1, maybe at a slower pace in combat; there's no reason for it to be out-of-combat only. It doesn't conflict with Carapace because most combat is too fast for it to make a significant difference to longevity, it's just nice not to have to worry about catching a stray bullet or two while healing.

- Camo should work like NS1 - always on outside of combat, with only partial cloaking while running or using movement skills.

If you're noticing a pattern, yes, these upgrades were pretty much fine in NS1 after years of balancing. The differences in NS2 pretty much feel like change for change's sake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah i don't think those changes would hurt game balance too much.

except my concern about combat regen vs carapace... carapace adds 20 armor (40 effective hp) to the skulk, therefore regen should heal significantly less than 40 in the time of the average combat engagement. the regen rate would obviously need to scale depending on max hp, while still ensuring that carapace is worthwhile.
  • PikachuPikachu Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161437Members
    Camo & Silence are freaking awesome for guerrilla tactics if used correctly. Doubly so with regen. The ability's are far better than their reputation.

I don't like celerity. I feel like celerity is an expensive hotfix for a much larger alien mobility issue. I don't like it because it's always necessary; It's an illusory choice. Aliens should start with it.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Comments about combat regeneration being too similar made me think some more, what if combat mode where it turns off like now was only affected by damage not you attacking. Means you can heal while chewing a building but gives no in combat bonus like carapace.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017172:date=Nov 9 2012, 05:18 PM:name=Emoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Emoo @ Nov 9 2012, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Comments about combat regeneration being too similar made me think some more, what if combat mode where it turns off like now was only affected by damage not you attacking. Means you can heal while chewing a building but gives no in combat bonus like carapace.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This seems like a minimum implementation, why would a gorge loose celerity because his bilebomb is still doing damage. I'd argue that a evolution shouldn't be taken away at all. Except for celerity there is no established relationship between speed and damage so why introduce it with celerity.

As far as balance why is it that aliens are the only ones who get a "combat" handicap? If we are going to limit upgrades due to fighting, I'd like to see Jetpacks fall out of the sky when they take damage, and exos have a slower cool down rate when taking damage.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2017071:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:04 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 9 2012, 09:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Adren should come with a moderate regeneration buff when not attacking to reduce the amount of time it takes to get back to full effectiveness.

If you're noticing a pattern, yes, these upgrades were pretty much fine in NS1 after years of balancing. The differences in NS2 pretty much feel like change for change's sake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd agree with all of these but I'd like to see an additional buff to camo where you don't show up on the minimap or with motion tracking from an obs but still show up if spotted by a player. Scans and the obs would still decloak you however. Silence masks your sounds and makes it hard for a marine to know you are coming even with an obs. Camo is just straight hard countered by the observatory which makes it kind of awful.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017300:date=Nov 9 2012, 06:42 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 9 2012, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This seems like a minimum implementation, why would a gorge loose celerity because his bilebomb is still doing damage. I'd argue that a evolution shouldn't be taken away at all. Except for celerity there is no established relationship between speed and damage so why introduce it with celerity.

As far as balance why is it that aliens are the only ones who get a "combat" handicap? If we are going to limit upgrades due to fighting, I'd like to see Jetpacks fall out of the sky when they take damage, and exos have a slower cool down rate when taking damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you could call it a combat handicap... except it's not a combat handicap, because it only works out of combat.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017349:date=Nov 9 2012, 07:16 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 9 2012, 07:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you could call it a combat handicap... except it's not a combat handicap, because it only works out of combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your right I can call it a combat handicap! Because just like you said it only works out of combat, such that omg your losing an ability that you previously had because your in combat (sounds. Like a handicap)
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2017357:date=Nov 9 2012, 07:21 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 9 2012, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your right I can call it a combat handicap! Because just like you said it only works out of combat, such that omg your losing an ability that you previously had because your in combat (sounds. Like a handicap)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

when i'm running a marathon i'm handicapped because in a car i can go >50 kmh.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017366:date=Nov 9 2012, 07:28 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 9 2012, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when i'm running a marathon i'm handicapped because in a car i can go >50 kmh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol, have yet to see this skulk-mobile.... but to use your analogy, Its like being able to sprint a marathon but being told you have to jog the 100meter so you dont make us white boys feel bad.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2017464:date=Nov 9 2012, 08:46 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 9 2012, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol, have yet to see this skulk-mobile.... but to use your analogy, Its like being able to sprint a marathon but being told you have to jog the 100meter so you dont make us white boys feel bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

white boys.... in a marathon... u mad bro?

edit: i have no idea where this analogy is going
  • kais_4kais_4 Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157127Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually like Camo and Regen (Although it'd be nice for it to have a Buff)

All you do is sneak up to enemies or wait for them to pass and THEN hit them. Take a few bites and run around a corner and camo/regen again. You can repeat this process quite a few times if your lucky :)
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    very true, cara/celerity/silence are only real upgrades at the start of the game.

camouflage would be good if you could turn it on instantly by holding shift(to walk slow). (maybe make it use energy slowly while invisible) you'd be able to then bait and ambush without waiting for stuff to happen. you'd have control over it for better and more fun play.

can you imagine how fun it would be to play a fade that can blink, and turn invisible? what a mindf**k :) did he turn invisible or did he blink? where di it go! :D

skulks would be awesome with this too.