Mineshaft's Repair Room.

grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">What's up with Repair Room starting location.</div>As a starting location this has to be the worst location ever invisioned for an official map. Miles away from any resource nodes, let alone a second command station. I havn't seen a single marine start at this location that ever got anyway near a stalemate, let alone a win. It's far too easy to lock this location down with skulks and it takes an unprecidented amount of public team play just to get phase gates into Operations.

Surely i'm not the only one who sees this?

Aliens starting at Sorting is basically GG for marines as aliens can safely back track to cave whilst fighting for Deposit. Cave isn't even too much of an issue either as Alien commander can spread his territory to Sorting without assistance whilst skulks lock down the marine base.

Comments

• TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I agree. It used to be too close to another techpoint, so they moved it.... a bit too far.

I mean I've won games using it, its so far away that both sides tend to ignore it unless they are dying for a tech point. However starting there is a nightmare.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    Mineshaft is just a bad map. Very dark and its almost impossible to play a round without getting stuck. Idk why UWE keeps it in the game.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016186:date=Nov 8 2012, 09:18 PM:name=nSidia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nSidia @ Nov 8 2012, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mineshaft is just a bad map. Very dark and its almost impossible to play a round without getting stuck. Idk why UWE keeps it in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still better than Docking.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Well on the plus side it's a short run into central drilling and cave.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    My issue with Mineshaft is that all the rooms are so expansive, meaning you're always looking down super long distances. This is great for marines and their assault rifles, but not for Skulks.
    I think they tried to balance it with plenty of hiding places, but it's like relying on the Spy's disguise in TF2; that's a very unreliable form of protection when compared with rock-solid cover.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've found mineshaft to be very well-playable in the last builds, no matter what spawns. I've heard bad stories about how it used to be, but it's not bad at all right now imo.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Mineshaft just needs more vents, ventlike caves, cavelike vents, boxes, props, and maybe moving drilling a few kilometers left, and then it will be instantly the best official map.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    edited November 2012
    I do think mineshaft is one of the best map, as it gives us lots of possibilities for tactics. And it's what's all need to be for ns2.
    NS2 is fps, but also strategy game. Don't forget that. If you spawn at drill repair as a marine, then just research phase gate as soon as possible and go across the map and take opposite site of map. Then you'll lock alien hives to 2 or even 1. If you lose becasue you spawn at drill, and just go direct to operation and put CC and forward base(actually backward base) there, while you could have taken 75% of map with just one phase gate, it's your fault or commander's fault, not Sgtbarlow's(mapper's) fault.

And bad for skulks? It's kinda ridiculous. It's just only bad for bad skulks who just go straight forward to the shooting marines, instead of climbing wall, jumping out of there. It's true that there might be a bit big large corridors, but aliens can actually at the sametime get 4~5 safe harvesters (Cave, Cavern, Ore, North Cave, Crushing). And it's also their fault if they got threatened too much on harvesters.

Lot's of pros and cons for both teams, that means that mineshaft is already the best map, not bad map at all. Of course it's a bit bad with performances, and for 6v6 competitive match, as it's designed at least for 10v10 or so, but that has nothing to do with being bad or good map.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016186:date=Nov 9 2012, 03:18 AM:name=nSidia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nSidia @ Nov 9 2012, 03:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mineshaft is just a bad map. Very dark and its almost impossible to play a round without getting stuck. Idk why UWE keeps it in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Almost all NS1 maps were way darker, deal with it.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Spawning at drilling puts you in a good position to take central drilling, I would suggest you consider some alternative strategeis to GET THE OTHER TECH POINT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

On a side point, I get so annoyed with all the newbie commanders these days that drop the second command chair instantly gaaaahhh.
  • grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
    edited November 2012
    Who said anything about dropping command chairs first. I'm not sure what that has to do with map balance if players aren't doing this. Have the nigh sayers actually seen the map and how close the 3 commander spots on the left are and how far away repair is from even the first resource node.

Part of the problem lies in the fact that the alien com doesn't require any team assistance in order to get resource towers up so whilst skulks harass the marine roll out the alien commander isn't delayed in his spread of resource gathering whilst the marines are locked into their base. As i said, it's not impossible, but it's far too difficult to be called "balanced". Aliens can far to easily snipe off IP's whilst marines setup extractors a third of the way across the map whilst the alien com barely needs to drop 6 cysts before he can drop his second hive with complimentary resource node.

Either marines are defending the base or defending the first extractor drop and skulks have the passive mobility advantage and the advantage of never having to play defencively in order to set up an ecomony. It's a bad map design exentuated by alien pros and marine cons; teching straight to phase is still a significant resource and time commitment.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016220:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:43 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Nov 8 2012, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well on the plus side it's a short run into central drilling and cave.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And you can siege Deposit from Central Drilling. It's a weak start, but have you been on Docking as Aliens and started on the far right hive (Maintenance?) God, that hive is a royal pain to start from, worse by far.

Several of the maps have some balance issues with random hive/CC locations.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Honest, repair room is my favorite spawn. There is a very high chance aliens will spawn in cave, and I will just egg camp cave until the server empties. Easy marine win.
  • BocheezuBocheezu Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165436Members
    If aliens spawn in sorting, I agree, you might as well F4. That's an absolutely terrible matchup.

If aliens start in cave, it can depend on who gets to deposit first. Many times the teams will stop at sorting or operations, when they could have taken deposit and put pressure on the other side. If either side rushes deposit, however, it opens them up to getting rushed at home and losing in under a minute. As mentioned above, marines can egg camp very easily from cavern.

I've played alien comm, and the map is so spread out, it can be difficult to defend in the early going. I usually do a 3 rt (4 total) then 2nd hive build, and a couple days ago (with a cave start) I went north tunnels --> crushing --> sorting and actually left cavern alone to wait for 2nd hive in sorting. Probably not the best idea, but I tried it out. In the meantime, I'm trying to direct my team to keep marines out of operations, and two marines snuck out and took down both crushing and north tunnel rts before anybody could get back to defend them. Operations is really far away from crushing/north tunnels; I should have left a lookout at crushing or hopped out of the chair and defended it myself since the wait for 2nd hive is a full minute. Either way, marines going up through crushing can be dangerous.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    If you spawn in repair, regardless of where the aliens spawn, go straight to the gap, put up a phase gate, and start putting heavy pressure on deposit. When the aliens inevitably put everything into keeping it (because they have to), just send a single player into cave and take it. Trust me, since 90% of the resource are on that side of the map, you are far better off with cave than you are deposit.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    Seriously, why complain about Mineshaft being "dark" when almost every NS1 map was dark enough to require a flashlight in plenty of places, and the flashlight was ###### too?

It's fine as-is, especially when you turn on your flashlight that is basically a giant searchlight integrated into your marine's armor.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Mineshaft feels pretty alien biased just cause of how many nodes are on the north side of the map in-between their hives. You can easily take and hold 4 or 5 which is a ton for aliens.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2022128:date=Nov 13 2012, 03:28 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Nov 13 2012, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mineshaft feels pretty alien biased just cause of how many nodes are on the north side of the map in-between their hives. You can easily take and hold 4 or 5 which is a ton for aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is a reason why 4 minute Onos is possible on Mineshaft :P
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not on mineshaft, but aliens are currently pretty screwed if they start in Generator hive, and marines are in terminal. Courtyard -> Stability or Maintenance allows marines ridiculously easy access to cut off cyst chains and kill off expanding harvesters. A PG/arcs in stability can destroy both generator and tram hives.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mine shaft is a good map. It requires diffrent gameplay and its set out pretty well (apart from what the OP said). I like it
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited November 2012
    I'll be totally honest, Mineshaft does feel weighted in Aliens favor unless the Marines take Central Drilling right off the bat. If Marines can hold their side of the map, I'd say it's an even toss-up with whoever wins Deposit first having the upper-hand.

Either way, you'll see the most end-game units on this map the fastest. Both teams can get stupid res income.
  • MamonarMamonar Join Date: 2009-05-10 Member: 67381Members
    Just another noob whine thread, moving along...
  • grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022088:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:41 PM:name=Bloodshot12)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodshot12 @ Nov 13 2012, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously, why complain about Mineshaft being "dark" when almost every NS1 map was dark enough to require a flashlight in plenty of places, and the flashlight was ###### too?

It's fine as-is, especially when you turn on your flashlight that is basically a giant searchlight integrated into your marine's armor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This thread isn't about mineshaft being dark. It's about Repair Room being miles away from any resource nodes compared to other starting locations.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023637:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:32 PM:name=grazr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grazr @ Nov 14 2012, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This thread isn't about mineshaft being dark. It's about Repair Room being miles away from any resource nodes compared to other starting locations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember i commented same thing: Then research phase gate as soon as possible and put one on the other side of the map. Then you will control 75% of the map. It's never bad, unless your marines failed to take deposit or something.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    On ns_veil... Aliens in Pipeline hive is a terrrrrrrible location. You're the furthest away from double and the cyst chains are easily severable from East Junction. If you try to cyst and go through cargo, that's an additional what... 10 cysts or more just to get to double? At least if you started in SubSector, you could cyst quickly through System Waypointing straight into double, or if you started in Cargo you could cyst straight up through Y junction...