Trouble with Extrude tool.

grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
I'm having trouble using the extrude tool. It only seems to want to extrude edges in one direction and i cannot find out how to change this direction. Originally i was pulling out faces on a horizontal to create floors for a layout, then i have no idea whether i hit a limit or a hotkey or something, but suddenly i can only extrude faces vertically.

I can't find the hotkey if there even was one and i don't know why i expected Spark to be like hammer where clicking the button multiple times changes its mode, which incidently would be much more practical/intuitive, but that didn't work either.

It's frustrating because the editor is otherwise fairly simple and fun to use until you hit an interface problem. Besides the fact that it has 3Dsmax/UDK camera functionality, i much prefer Source's Hammer camera and how the editor actually displays its hotkeys. Having to drag your view point around like a legless cripple and flick the camera view side to side like its on a stiff tripod is really annoying.

Comments

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Remember that the editor is still very unfinished.

To your problem with extruding eges into planes, yes it is possible to do it only in one way. When working with complex geometry it happens often that the edges get extruded in unexpected way or not at all :-D. The solution is to manually readjust the extruded face in the place where you want it.
  • grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
    edited November 2012
    Yea, it's strange. Not sure why it suddenly stopped letting me extrude any faces horizontaly, but after i added some horizontal planes with the line tool it seemed to start letting me extrude horizontally agian. I guess i had high expectations going into it after i saw a build 230 video on the editor which showed some pretty free movement where the commentator extruded comfortably horizontally, at 45 degrees and vertically to what seemed exactly what he desired; it was frustrating when i wasn't getting the same results.

One thing i am finding odd is how the line tool automatically sews certain edges. Sometimes it sews to a vertice on a rectangle 2 faces over and i end up with a rectangle with a really long edge covering 2 other faces; i'm finding the extrude and line tool are actually incredibly unreliable due to the "auto" sew feature miss-sewing to the wrong vertices/edges. Much simpler to place rectangles and move them into place one at a time. Otherwise if i go back to something i find one face is somehow connected to random vertices and/or edges all over the shop and i have to destroy an entire room to get some geometry i can work with.

I'm assuming the DEVS have had the same issue. There's several locations in the official maps where Z fighting is occuring.