Alien Upgrade Slots

Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
I've been playing NS since there were Babblers, but I've never been heavily involved in the community. So excuse me if this idea has come up before.

Aliens have three upgrade slots. Each slot can take one of two upgrades. It's impossible to have carapace/regen. What if you still unlocked slots and upgrades in the same way, but you could put any upgrade in any slot. Let's say you have a crag hive and a shade hive. It would be cool for a gorge to be able to go carapace/regen and a skulk to go silence/camo. I'm not sure how this would unbalance the game, but I definitely think it is worth an experiment.

Comments

• KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    I've thought about the same thing. While there are definitely some combinations that would be favored over others (celerity+cara+regen comes to mind first), you're still limited to three upgrades and I think it is unlikely it would push balance over the edge.

It was reasonable in NS1, when Celerity worked all the time and you could basically outheal sentries with Regen, it is a different story with timed activations in NS2.

Can't help but wonder if this was ever even tried internally or in one of the earlier alpha/beta builds.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It's too hard to balance the game when you can have any combination.

Also, the slots idea would never work on public play as people would hog specific combos and you'd just get annoyed at never being able to play what you need/want. You can't rely on players on public servers to use that slot system in a fair and sensible way and that invalidates the idea. It is also not intuitive and it would be very confusing.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    I don't think the OP never meant choosing an upgrade would lock that upgrade out for others in the team.

Now that I think about it, wasn't it exactly like this in NS combat? You chose to unlock whatever upgrade you wanted? I don't recall it ever being unbalanced there.
  • RoboRobo Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162637Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens have three upgrade slots. Each slot can take one of two upgrades. It's impossible to have carapace/regen. What if you still unlocked slots and upgrades in the same way, but you could put any upgrade in any slot. Let's say you have a crag hive and a shade hive. It would be cool for a gorge to be able to go carapace/regen and a skulk to go silence/camo. I'm not sure how this would unbalance the game, but I definitely think it is worth an experiment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have a very similiar idea to what you are suggesting <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123462" target="_blank">here</a>. The goal is to not have bad upgrade choices for life forms while increasing customization for the player.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    We had this only a few builds ago. Was turned from:

- 1 slot per hive, any upgrade can be used in any slot.

to:

- 1 slot per hive, only upgrades from that hive can be used with its slot.

Problem was almost everyone went carapace/regen to tank up. Adrenaline also gave energy regen bonus at the time, so was obvious choice aswell. UWE swtiched in hopes it would force people to think of more creative upgrade setups.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Make lifeforms cheaper and make mutations cost certain points of res. And allow for all combinations, that way the better the combination the more expensive. Instead of limit options.

If someone has the Pres and wants to be Onos with Regen / Carapace why shouldn that be allowed?.
  • minos_minos_ Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165722Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015761:date=Nov 8 2012, 01:50 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 8 2012, 01:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make lifeforms cheaper and make mutations cost certain points of res. And allow for all combinations, that way the better the combination the more expensive. Instead of limit options.

If someone has the Pres and wants to be Onos with Regen / Carapace why shouldn that be allowed?.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A simpler solution might be to just make all the options equally attractive instead of having a system like now where you have pretty obvious choices for most things. Don't have "better combinations," instead just balance the mutations so that taking regen + cara means you are missing out on some pretty sweet upgrades instead.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015877:date=Nov 8 2012, 10:39 PM:name=minos_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minos_ @ Nov 8 2012, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A simpler solution might be to just make all the options equally attractive instead of having a system like now where you have pretty obvious choices for most things. Don't have "better combinations," instead just balance the mutations so that taking regen + cara means you are missing out on some pretty sweet upgrades instead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that would work too, either way, just something to make more options and choices, because there really isnt a lot atm.