An Idea to better implement the exo's into the game.

PhOeNiX4PhOeNiX4 Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30912Members
<div class="IPBDescription">About time I got around to suggesting this...</div>So, the exo suits at this current build are not that well implemented imo. The basic idea is there shouldn't be 2 separate suits it should be merged into one purchase for the exo then further customisable player-side purchases for the weapons, which then means the exos can choose what upgrade they need for a given situation.

Buying a "standard exo", atm, when they are first researched seems pointless as a minute later the commander may have researched duals which are a ton better, leaving the original exo lackluster(to a certain extent..).

Anyway, my idea is that once the comm has researched the exo suit anyone can purchase it for the 50res required and it out to the field. In order to further unlock dual exos the commander must then research the weapon attachment from the protolab. Once it's completed the exo's can then buy a 2nd minigun from the armoury (it brings up a new weapons panel instead of light marine kit) which replaces the claw.

This is basically how it went in ns1 for heavies and how it should go in ns2 for exo but with more specialized weaponry available.

Also, I've heard UWE talking about implementing a rail gun for the exos, but I think the comm should have more options to customize his exo's, it would lead to more interesting tactics when exos are involved, the weapon choices <i>could</i> be something like:

Dual miniguns

Railgun attachment

Flamer attachment

and even a welder attachment (this may be overpowered.. but exo's at least need a way to build or jump out the suit so they can function as a normal marine if needed)

Let me know what you think, I was going to mock up some pictures on the armoury-exo buy menu and/or exo with a heavy flamer on his main arm (firing blue flames out of course :D) but I'm at work now so you'll have to imagine it.

Comments

• TheRedRagerTheRedRager Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166227Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but exo's at least need a way to build or jump out the suit so they can function as a normal marine if needed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No they dont. If they could do that theres no drawback at all. If you want to be a normal marine, dont buy an exo.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015725:date=Nov 8 2012, 12:21 PM:name=TheRedRager)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheRedRager @ Nov 8 2012, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No they dont. If they could do that theres no drawback at all. If you want to be a normal marine, dont buy an exo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hasn't the team already said they thought they should add an eject in one of their tweets on the game's front page?
  • JeehaoJeehao Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168294Members
    I would want it to be like this:

1 Command Center = No Exo suits

2 Command Center's = Exo suit with one minigun

3 Command Center's = Commander Can upgrade dual miniguns.
    it should be just like Onos stomp. And an Exo with dual miniguns should have the same cost as a Onos with stomp
    If marines lose the third base then they can only buy the normal crap exo suits!..

In the future they may add more weapons and then you buy exo suits just like you would buy a Shotgun,Flamethrower,Grenadelauncher
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    edited November 2012
    Then i suggest to counter those Exo's that Onos gets the ability to fly and to use the blink ability, not to mention onos that climb walls.

Or Onos with LEAP! :D that would be freaking awesome sauce.
  • NoxZANoxZA Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159814Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015728:date=Nov 8 2012, 09:21 PM:name=Blindga)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindga @ Nov 8 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hasn't the team already said they thought they should add an eject in one of their tweets on the game's front page?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, but I believe they will make it that the exo will be unusable after this, otherwise it would be too powerful. The eject would be a last ditch effort to survive where the exo explodes after the marine has ejected, leaving him with nothing but a axe. At least, that's how I see it being implemented.

As for the idea, it could possibly work but a problem that could occur is that the marines push out with single mini exos and if any of them survive and gain enough res they can just upgrade. This means that marines will use exos earlier as they might as well use a single mini exo while they wait for resources. Might be a bit unbalanced.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015502:date=Nov 8 2012, 10:30 AM:name=PhOeNiX4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhOeNiX4 @ Nov 8 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, I've heard UWE talking about implementing a rail gun for the exos, but I think the comm should have more options to customize his exo's, it would lead to more interesting tactics when exos are involved, the weapon choices <i>could</i> be something like:

Dual miniguns

Railgun attachment

Flamer attachment<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would be amazing. Almost makes having a completely separate structure for Exos and their upgrades. But It works just as well have them go to the armory and getting attachments similar to any of the weapons stock marines can buy. Flamethrower attachment and even a modified GL attachment seem like they could make Exos much more versatile without becoming overpowered. Maybe not a GL but a slow firing rocket launcher that fires one powerful shot with a long reload time. Another possible attachment could be a more powerful melee attachment that shreds through alien structures, almost like a drill or some sort of fast sipnning blades. The possibilities for this are many and it would be easy to tweak each attachment as needed to make them all equally viable (depending on the situation).

<!--quoteo(post=2015502:date=Nov 8 2012, 10:30 AM:name=PhOeNiX4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhOeNiX4 @ Nov 8 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and even a welder attachment (this may be overpowered.. but exo's at least need a way to build or jump out the suit so they can function as a normal marine if needed)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This particular attachment however would definitely be overpowered. There are already MACs and regular marines following the Exos aound keeping them alive. Giving them welders can allow two Exos's to push through the map and never die because they keep taking turns welding each other.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015744:date=Nov 8 2012, 02:35 PM:name=Jeehao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeehao @ Nov 8 2012, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would want it to be like this:

1 Command Center = No Exo suits

2 Command Center's = Exo suit with one minigun

3 Command Center's = Commander Can upgrade dual miniguns.
    it should be just like Onos stomp. And an Exo with dual miniguns should have the same cost as a Onos with stomp
    If marines lose the third base then they can only buy the normal crap exo suits!..

In the future they may add more weapons and then you buy exo suits just like you would buy a Shotgun,Flamethrower,Grenadelauncher<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not a fan of overlapping weapons on exosuits. Part of the charm is how different using one is.

Having a flamer would be pretty sweet though...
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2015795:date=Nov 9 2012, 05:51 AM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 9 2012, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then i suggest to counter those Exo's that Onos gets the ability to fly and to use the blink ability, not to mention onos that climb walls.

Or Onos with LEAP! :D that would be freaking awesome sauce.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

onos belly slide
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    There was a similar thread a few days ago where I came up with an idea I liked, so I'll throw it out here again.

In addition to the upgrading idea (because I like that) and adding a heavy hitting cannon with a slow rate of fire (because I liked that too), how about making the Robotics Factory build Exosuits, but require it to be built on a Tech Point? Just because I don't like things that feel like restrictions in game. This still requires you to expend the same amount of resources and claim a second Tech Point to get Exosuits out, but it doesn't feel so much like an 'enforced balance' issue. Not to mention, a Robotics Factory wouldn't operate like a Command Chair, which makes it a more strategic choice. Do you go for the safety of a second chair, or do you go for the firepower of Exos?

Like this, you may even see the marines try to push for three bases, just like the aliens.