No Log.txt

Silent262Silent262 Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160267Members
edited November 2012 in Server Discussion
My server is either not generating a log.txt OR it is being generated out of my reach. The admin panel is not showing me the log in my root directory. I am in a non-default location, and being hosted by JestServers. I have already sent a ticket asking him, and I figured I would ask around here for ideas. I will get back to you when he responds, or if there are updates.

UPDATE:
Jest has responded and said that the logviewer is reporting all the txt files in the accessible section of the server. I do not have access, and, therefore, the log is either still being generated in appdata OR not at all. Any other thoughts, guys?

Comments

• CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2
  • Silent262Silent262 Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160267Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015130:date=Nov 8 2012, 02:27 AM:name=CoTTon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoTTon @ Nov 8 2012, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am on a server. I do not have access to the AppData, and it is likely there is more than one NS2 server located on my box. I have NO access to AppData, and I cannot reasonably expect access to that location.

Let me be more blunt: I need a way to get a log without having access to AppData. I had a crash and would obviously like to report it. This will not happen, because I have no log. I need a commandline switch to move said log OR the log needs to be generated in the same directory as the Server.exe. If this is the case, then I am having a problem, and that deserves reporting, too.
  • krazekraze Join Date: 2012-10-26 Member: 163744Members
    Hi,

I am not sure how your company has your server setup but I would image they are using the -file option in your command line, wherever the location leads is where the log.txt should be created.

They are most likely not specifying the log.txt file itself. If that is the case they would need to edit your command line to this;

-file "C:yourserver\log.txt"
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My dedicated server puts the log files in C:\, when the server is in C:\NS2-server\. It's quite irritating. :P
    Probably specifying this on your command line will fix that;

-file "C:yourserver\log.txt"
    Alright, I am trying that. I will get back to you when my provider gets back to me.
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    I'm not sure if I've missed a change, but -file is the pointer to the file that holds your command line options (typically server.txt). So to see people suggest you add that flag with the idea that this will instruct the server instance to create a log file there makes me a little worried that you're about to strip every command line option away from your server boot and breaking your server in the process.
    That is kind of what I thought eLbot, after reading the dedicated usage I did not suggest that to my provider, who probably would not have done it anyway. So, back to trying other solutions. Are there other solutions?
    I didn't actually test that, just a best guess :/

I did just test it though and it does not break the server, server just ignores it since it doesn't see it as valid.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The log will be created in %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2.

I don't think there is any way to change the log directory - I agree that this issue does need to be reported.