Why aliens feel underpowered

siersessierses Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167873Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I was browsing through the source code and i ended up comparing the DPS of the different alien races. I obtained the attack times from the wiki (may or may not be outdated), which seem to be based on the animations, except for a few i found in Balance.lua. The calculations include adjustments for the damage types against humans, assuming the maximum damage is done.

<!--fonto:Lucida Console--><span style="font-family:Lucida Console"><!--/fonto-->Skulk bite 1/.45*75 = <b>166.67 dps</b>
Gorge spit 1/.5*40 = <b>80</b>
Lerk spikes 1/.07*{7,8,9} = 100,114,128 * 1.25 = <b>125,142.5,160</b>
Fade swipe 1/.65*65 = 100 * 1.25 = <b>125</b>
Onos gore 1/0.5*95 = 190 * 1.25 = <b>237.5</b><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Onos smash 1/1.9*100 = 52.6 (double damage to armor)
(charging also gives maximum damage of 95*2 = 190 * 1.25 = <b>237.5</b>)
<!--fonto:Lucida Console--><span style="font-family:Lucida Console"><!--/fonto-->Assault Rifle 1/.1*10 = <b>100,110,120,130</b>
Pistol 1/.1*25 = <b>250,275,300,325</b> (half damage to armor)
Minigun 1/.1*25 = <b>250,275,300,325</b> (double damage to armor) (.1s fire rate is assumed, no data on the wiki or in source code)
Shotgun 1/.9*17*10 = <b>189,208,227,246</b>
Grenade Launcher 1/.4 = <b>325,358,390,423</b>
Flamethrower 1/.5*7.5 + (5 to 75) + (3 to 45) varying based on how long flame is applied to a target up to 6 seconds, approximate damage between (15+5+3+10+6) = <b>39</b> up to <b>135</b> dps without upgrades
Axe and Welder attack times seem inconsistent in the wiki<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Surprisingly, the skulk is a very powerful alien (if only it had more armor), the fade is significantly worse, the lerk is surprisingly decent, and the onos', while great at goring meatbags, is in many ways quite mediocre at smashing buildings.
The marines, on the other hand, are quite capable of wiping the floor with alien guts. It's somewhat amazing that the aliens are as successful as they are.
Hopefully this data will lead to some useful changes in the long run, maybe even a fade worth more than 25res. ;-)

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->edit: Fixed info about Onos, modified comment on it<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Comments

• statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Put on your flame suit.
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    edited November 2012
    Doesn't surprise me at all to be honest. I'd also like to see a cost benefit analysis for which team is better at rushing/raiding bases. My bets are on Marines for cost inflicted (40 point hive vs 15 point cc + re-researching/upgrading hive costs), time to attack (phase gates), game impact (Aliens needing to re-research everything)/(Impact of 2nd hive dieing vs 2nd command chair).

It's hard to see what Aliens are good at this game. They would take out first prize for running fast and ability to hide in vents.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I'm pretty sure gore is faster than smash. At least it feels faster.
  • siersessierses Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167873Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013983:date=Nov 7 2012, 05:31 AM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Nov 7 2012, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty sure gore is faster than smash. At least it feels faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just checked the history for the Onos wiki and Gore is 0.5s per attack, not 1.9 like smash.
    I don't know why someone would remove such relevant info from the wiki....
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013981:date=Nov 7 2012, 05:31 AM:name=Bullet_Force)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullet_Force @ Nov 7 2012, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's hard to see what Aliens are good at this game. They would take out first prize for running fast and ability to hide in vents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With celerity, maybe. Nothing more dumb than Marines being able to sprint after you and shoot you in the back until then.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    DPS? are you serious? This is not a PVE game and players do not stand still for you to fire at them. The only point in which DPS calculations would remotely have even a smidgen of relevance is figuring out how long it takes for skulks to take out exos and for marines to take out an Onos.

NS is not really a game for which you can do theorycrafting. Skill is everything. It's been widely discussed by experienced players that marines scale more with aiming skill and so it could possibly be that in high level play Aliens are at a disadvantage, but frankly this does not apply for the vast majority of games atm.
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    Also, guns don't do glancing blows : /
  • dota girldota girl Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167954Members
    Aliens probably feel underpowered because they are significantly worse at everything than they were in NS1. I don't think we need rocket scientists to figure this one out (unless you're UWE)

is there a single improvement in the entire game to aliens?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think too, that this values say nothing. As you mentioned yourself. You are surprised by them. They say nothing about how hard it is to hit with that weapon. If it is long or short ranged. Accuracy. And so on. The values alone are useless.

Aliens feel like losing all the time, because the skulk is designed to be a suicide unit. and dieing isn't fun. Also skulks don't scale into mid and late game. Making you dieing even more often. If the skulk would be smaller and the onos weaker but with a skill-full mechanic like bone shield, it would feel better.
  • NikolaiLevNikolaiLev Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165658Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014043:date=Nov 7 2012, 08:22 AM:name=Idleray)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Idleray @ Nov 7 2012, 08:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DPS? are you serious? This is not a PVE game and players do not stand still for you to fire at them. The only point in which DPS calculations would remotely have even a smidgen of relevance is figuring out how long it takes for skulks to take out exos and for marines to take out an Onos.

NS is not really a game for which you can do theorycrafting. Skill is everything. It's been widely discussed by experienced players that marines scale more with aiming skill and so it could possibly be that in high level play Aliens are at a disadvantage, but frankly this does not apply for the vast majority of games atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is false. DPS calculations are always important for various reasons, including calculation of ideal situations as well as predicting averages. Of course, ease of use, accuracy, and so on are equally important, and when you combine them you get <i>effective DPS.</i>

Disappointingly, the OP is deceptive, in that for marine weapons he's only included DPS per magazine. He hasn't included sustained DPS (which accounts for reload time) which is quite important for figuring out the effective DPS for a given weapon.

With the introduction of glancing blows, precision has become a factor for Aliens as well. Not quite as much as marines, of course, but it's not far.

Ultimately, it's vital to ensure one assumes a holistic perspective on things like this. Sure, skulks have the highest potential DPS, but are there other factors involved in delivering that damage? Do damage types make a value look bigger than it actually is?
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->is there a single improvement in the entire game to aliens?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, lerks have spikes now. And they are hilariously effective.
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014048:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:24 PM:name=dota girl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dota girl @ Nov 7 2012, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->is there a single improvement in the entire game to aliens?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Onos went from a gimmicky one-trick pony that you used when you wanted to screw around with devour into wrecking ball of pure destruction and the unit around which revolves the entire Alien game and meta-game.

Although I am not sure if you could call that an <i>improvement.</i>
  • hypzhypz Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168000Members
    Aliens are fine....the only change I would make to aliens is Fade need some type of buff, they are way to useless(squishy as ######) for 50 res when I can just hold out for another 5 minutes and go onos.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    You should take the reload times for marine weapons into account if you want to accurately portray DPS values. Even then, simply comparing DPS values won't tell you anything about balance, since there are so much other factors at play.

Also, your title suggests that aliens feeling underpowered is a given fact, while there are plenty to disagree on that.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    the information is useful and interesting, but wtf is the basis to draw any balance conclusions from that?

the damage is more or less what anyone with any sense would have anticipated... damage alone is meaningless as targets usually don't stand still with 100% accuracy, 0 reload time, infinite ammo, no special abilities/utilities and same resource cost etc.

pulling conclusions out of there air like "lerk spikes are surprisingly good, look at their dps!!11" is about the same as saying "fades are surprisingly good, look at their speed!1" or "onos are surprisingly good, look at their hp!!1". it's totally out of context.
  • Somerandom18Somerandom18 Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165048Members
    <a href="http://ns2stats.org" target="_blank">http://ns2stats.org</a>

Aliens seem to be winning
  • Chuck7Chuck7 Join Date: 2005-07-09 Member: 55530Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014267:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:45 AM:name=Somerandom18)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Somerandom18 @ Nov 7 2012, 10:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://ns2stats.org" target="_blank">http://ns2stats.org</a>

Aliens seem to be winning<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe that data is skewed because of how dependent marines are on their commander. With a poor one, a quick rush is end game. Give it a month to see if those numbers even out some as people learn how to play.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    Like aliens aren't equally dependent on their commander? Poor alien commander results in a quick loss as well.
  • siersessierses Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167873Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2014069:date=Nov 7 2012, 06:41 AM:name=NikolaiLev)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NikolaiLev @ Nov 7 2012, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disappointingly, the OP is deceptive, in that for marine weapons he's only included DPS per magazine. He hasn't included sustained DPS (which accounts for reload time) which is quite important for figuring out the effective DPS for a given weapon.

With the introduction of glancing blows, precision has become a factor for Aliens as well. Not quite as much as marines, of course, but it's not far.

Ultimately, it's vital to ensure one assumes a holistic perspective on things like this. Sure, skulks have the highest potential DPS, but are there other factors involved in delivering that damage? Do damage types make a value look bigger than it actually is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The marine weapons are also measured in DPS, only the pistol uses it's full magazine within that period.
    The measurements up until reloading with the various weapon upgrades are:

Pistol: 10 * 25 = <b>250,275,300,325</b> in 1.0s (if you can click fast enough)
    Rifle: 10 * 50 = <b>500,550,600,650</b> in 1.7s
    Shotgun: 8 * 170 = <b>1360,1496,1632,1768</b> in 7.2s
    Grenade Launcher: 4 * 130 = <b>520,572,624,676</b> in 1.2s
    Flamethrower: 15s(of fuel) * median of 87dps = <b>1305,1435,1565,1695</b>
    Single Minigun: 5s(before overheating, 2.5s for full cooldown) * 250dps(still not sure about this, but i'm assuming it fires as fast as the rifle and pistol) = <b>1250,1375,1500,1625</b>

The marines are well balanced against themselves, and against the higher health and armor of the aliens. The aliens have to rely on skill to dodge the marines while still inflicting maximum damage.
    Take for example the Onos, 1300 health + 1000 armor from carapace. The heavy damage of dual Exo miniguns. even at weapons 0, should be able to kill it outright given 5s of concentrated fire with minimal misses and single minigun will at least be able to completely decimate the armor, whereas it will take an onos 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, and 6 seconds to kill an exo, depending on the armor level, hence the necessity of gorge support.
    Another example is the marine armor upgrades. 100 + 30 vs 100 + 90 This equates to 160 and 280 total health. the aliens are forced to do 75% more damage to the marines with no increase in damage output (a 33% decrease in damage in the case of the fade). The onos can only 1-hit kill up to an armor 1 marine, armor 2,3 will have 5hp,45hp left.

If combined attacks are necessary to succeed as an alien, what will happen when marines become better coordinated in the pub games?
    Many aspects of balance rely on the human factor, but by knowing the maximum potential damage it's easier to judge minimally pub balance issues when you can assume that 50-75% of that damage is actually being done. We need more stats for UWD to know for sure : )
    Although there is a lot of skill in aiming accurately, moving accurately is significantly harder for many people. I think this is why, even with underpowered fades (pushing a tech rush to onos), the aliens are so fun to play; they have what feels like a higher skill ceiling. But to keep that from becoming frustrating, i think they need more toys/abilities to compensate for their low mid-endgame (blissfully ignoring the onos here) power with variety.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can't just look at DPS of a unit and claim it UP or OP. You haven't even considered abilities like bile bomb and spores not to mention other aspects such as mobility, dodge, skill, armor, positioning, team composition, engaging correctly.

Fade could use a DPS boost or armor boost and Skulk slightly more armor but other than that, I don't see a significant issue.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014311:date=Nov 7 2012, 07:29 PM:name=Chuck7)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chuck7 @ Nov 7 2012, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe that data is skewed because of how dependent marines are on their commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The data is skewed because people keep using it like it's some sort of goddamn barometer of the quality of the game

Quit using it. Win / loss is irrelevant. Aliens are no fun, full stop.