SteamCMD Problems

101ways2pwn101ways2pwn Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167792Members
edited November 2012 in Server Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Missing Files</div>I noticed that if you are using STEAMCMD to make a dedicated server; <b>you will be missing some files! </b>Devs please check this out as I had to transfer a lot of files from my client version to complete the set for my dedicated server box. You can catch these as they load. I also tried to update to see if the files were missing by accident from the download, however, it did not detect anything wrong.

You will see these errors as the map cycles go by.

And for the love of god...multithread!!! and Optimize further! Spark is interesting, but now that the profits started flowing (new review of 8.0 on IGN with front page coverage) Hire some coder to multithread. Balance can wait till the platform is optimized and stable on both the server and client!

Comments

• VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What files? I used SteamCMD to download my dedicated server and I get no errors or missing files at all.
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014039:date=Nov 7 2012, 06:20 AM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Nov 7 2012, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What files? I used SteamCMD to download my dedicated server and I get no errors or missing files at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ditto, just performed a new server instance install to check if there were any issues - no files were missing, not a single bit out of place. What exactly went wrong for you OP?
  • SynergiSynergi Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167921Members
    Deto missing some files
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    Do me a favor and try again with validate appended, are there still files missing?
  • 101ways2pwn101ways2pwn Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167792Members
    edited November 2012
    Guys, check your console after you cycle through some maps. Some .dds files are missing along with some material files. If you didn't notice any files missing you are probably running a retail copy and then running a server. The <b>SteamCMD version</b> is the only one affected! <u>I would not have posted if there was no issue.</u> o.O
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Hmm I haven't had this issue so far. SteamCMD install the Server just fine and I do app_update 4940 validate 2 or 3 times before I actually run the server for the first time.

I doubt tho, that those missing dds files will cause any harm or issues for players on your Server and the server, since textures are read from the client, not from the server.

The server does not even really load the map graphics-wise, since it is a console/gui application and not a 3d render application like the client.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Do you mean these? I don't think any of these files are needed by the server and are therefore not included. I have no idea why the server attempts to load the files though. This might be to reduce the size of the server by a couple of gigabytes by removing unnecessary files.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Build 228
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4920
    Connected to Steam servers
    Server : 0.000000 : Loading VM Server
    Loading config://ServerConfig.json
    Loading config://ServerAdmin.json
    Loading config://BannedPlayers.json
    Loading config://MapCycle.json
    Loading config://ConsistencyConfig.json
    Loading 'maps/ns2_summit.level'
    <u><b>Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan_blade_01_big.anima
    tion_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan_blade_01.animation
    _graph'</b></u>
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_summit.level'
    Loading 'maps/ns2_tram.level'
    <u><b>Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan128_blades.animatio
    n_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/halo_blue.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/halo_rounded_blue.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_shipping_hologram_anim
    ated.animation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file ''
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_tram_repairarm.animati
    on_graph'</b></u>
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_tram.level'
    Loading 'maps/ns2_mineshaft.level'
    <u><b>Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan_blade_01.animation
    _graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan128_blades.animatio
    n_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/mining_rockbucket_animated.anim
    ation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/windowcracks.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan_blade_01_big.anima
    tion_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/mining_crusherpress.animation_g
    raph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/mining_drill_hung_01_animated.a
    nimation_graph'</b></u>
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_mineshaft.level'
    Loading 'maps/ns2_veil.level'
    <u><b>Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan128_blades.animatio
    n_graph'</b></u>
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_veil.level'
    Loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    <u><b>Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/halo_green.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan_blade_01.animation
    _graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/docking_generator_01_animated.a
    nimation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_fan128_blades.animatio
    n_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_baggagescreens_01.model'

Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_plants_test.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_plants_test.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/docking_target_01.animation_gra
    ph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_strap_01_crate_animated.
    animation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_tram_01.model'</b></u>
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    Loading 'maps/ns2_refinery.level'
    <u><b>Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/summit/oreconveyor_rail.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_oreextractvert_temp.mo
    del'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_oreextraction_hor_anim
    ated.animation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/refinery_oreextraction_ver_anim
    ated.animation_graph'
    n_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/halo_rounded_green.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/halo_wide_red.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/cinematics/exoreveal/page_1_panels_1-11 - onos
    emerges/camera7.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/refinery/mining_bucket_animated.animatio
    n_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file ''</b></u>
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_refinery.level'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2014403:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:47 PM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Nov 7 2012, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014403"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you mean these? None of these files are needed by the server and are therefore not included. I have no idea why the server attempts to load the files though. This is too reduce the size of the server by a couple of gigabytes by removing unnecessary files.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Says who? You? Are you a developer? Physics file NOT needed? or are you just answering with your opinion? I'm confused now.
    edited November 2012
    Says I. And no, I do not know.. Sorry I will make that more clear when I write my statements. :P
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SteamCMD installs all files fine for me. No missing .dds or .models, only the occasional .graph for certain maps (only 1 or 2). Does not affect my server or clients connected to the server.
    <!--quoteo(post=2016486:date=Nov 9 2012, 12:00 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Nov 9 2012, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SteamCMD installs all files fine for me. No missing .dds or .models, only the occasional .graph for certain maps (only 1 or 2). Does not affect my server or clients connected to the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm on a PowerEdge with Win 2008 Server R2. Check again.. unless there is a mysterious 2008 bug.. BUT I highly doubt my download should differ from yours.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2014039:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:20 PM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Nov 7 2012, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What files? I used SteamCMD to download my dedicated server and I get no errors or missing files at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2014115:date=Nov 7 2012, 11:30 PM:name=eLbot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eLbot @ Nov 7 2012, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ditto, just performed a new server instance install to check if there were any issues - no files were missing, not a single bit out of place. What exactly went wrong for you OP?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2014350:date=Nov 8 2012, 04:00 AM:name=Maxunit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxunit @ Nov 8 2012, 04:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm I haven't had this issue so far. SteamCMD install the Server just fine and I do app_update 4940 validate 2 or 3 times before I actually run the server for the first time.<snip><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No errors for the 4 of us. I'm on Win7 x64. On a custom-built i7
    <!--quoteo(post=2014403:date=Nov 7 2012, 03:47 PM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Nov 7 2012, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014403"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you mean these? I don't think any of these files are needed by the server and are therefore not included. I have no idea why the server attempts to load the files though. This might be to reduce the size of the server by a couple of gigabytes by removing unnecessary files.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See this post. There is a laundry list.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Meh, the missing files neither prevent the server from running nor are noticeable in game. Sure, it looks a little bad in the server log, but server operation isn't harmed from lack of them.