When will they remove the 24 max players cap?

despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
the latest patch made servers can only have maximum 24 players. i am wondering when are they going to let us increase the max players cap?

Comments

• 101ways2pwn101ways2pwn Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167792Members
    I'm assuming when they can optimize the server core more. Right now it's better than what it was; but far from competative.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There are also a lot of gameplay issues with more then 18
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    It also has to do with balance. There always used to be a player limit except for it being accidentally removed when they redid server configs a few patches ago.

If you want to remove the limit in 228
    Patch Server.exe+0000A304 from <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto-->7E<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> to <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style="font-family:Courier New"><!--/fonto-->EB<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013432:date=Nov 7 2012, 09:11 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 7 2012, 09:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are also a lot of gameplay issues with more then 18<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i would say stop worrying about how people play the game. there have been servers with 32 slots in ns1. yes there would be huge balance problem in the stock game but people mod it enough so it is playable and fun without losing too much originality.
  • Silent262Silent262 Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160267Members
    Look at some tick rate graphs, please. The caps are in place to help maintain a good player experience (i.e. not stretch the capabilities of a known-to-be-imperfect server). That being said:

Dear UWE,
    I will love you FOREVER if you help me out by fixing our server needs!
    Best,
    This Guy
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013474:date=Nov 6 2012, 08:43 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 6 2012, 08:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013474"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i would say stop worrying about how people play the game. there have been servers with 32 slots in ns1. yes there would be huge balance problem in the stock game but people mod it enough so it is playable and fun without losing too much originality.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    People wouldn't know that they are playing in an unbalanced game state. In TF2, if you try to join a server that has more than 24 slots, a pop up message will appear stating that the game has been balanced for 24 players and that you may have an undesirable gameplay experience.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013568:date=Nov 7 2012, 11:09 AM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Nov 7 2012, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People wouldn't know that they are playing in an unbalanced game state. In TF2, if you try to join a server that has more than 24 slots, a pop up message will appear stating that the game has been balanced for 24 players and that you may have an undesirable gameplay experience.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    if they are having fun, they wont bother.
    if they are not having fun, they will fix it until its fun even if it is just balanced.
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013738:date=Nov 6 2012, 10:14 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 6 2012, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if they are having fun, they wont bother.
    if they are not having fun, they will fix it until its fun even if it is just balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've tried to interpret this several different ways and I'm still not understanding what you've tried to communicate but this is my best guess, please correct me if I'm wrong [i'm fairly sure I will be because this doesn't make sense].

Ignoring balance issues [which is in fact ignoring the very crux of the issue]:

If players are having fun on unbalanced server, on a game balanced for a maximum of 16 players, it's their own business and prerogative despite the fact there are almost no hardware configurations that will support more than 24 slots at any reasonable tick rate, hit reg or choke levels. It's their choice and somehow the awful performance wont impact them.

else

If instead they realize that the game-play is completely destroyed and personal player skill becomes totally irrelevant in the face of Zerg mentality, and the commanders personal knowledge of this very specific game-play type. Then THEY will be the one to fix it? With mods and maps to create better balance? But this totally ignores the fact the server cant perform at this level?

So which is it, I can only see two interpretations, you're choosing to ignore the fact the servers cant perform at this level or you're choosing to ignore the balance with the suggestion the players enjoying these team sizes will not only create a special mod but special maps? If the latter is the case, then surely the creation of these mods needs to take place in private environments where new public players wont accidentally have their first few games be very different than the vast majority of the player-base enjoys, and the designers had in mind in the first place. This risks tarnishing their view of the game and then telling their friends that either the game has awful performance, or the game is hectic and unbalanced... forever reducing our player-base. Surely you see our resistance to this?