No res while dead! +1

maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Maybe I'm just selfish</div>So maybe I'm a bad person, but has anyone noticed the flip side to the fact that you get no res while dead? IE where that res goes.

A few days ago I was playing and was watching my pres and noticed it kept changing. Then it dawned on me that my. Team was dieing, and I was getting their res....

I used to get annoyed when players threw their life away and had 1-29 scores. Now I realize that's 29 times they gave me res. :)

Comments

• NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2012661:date=Nov 6 2012, 08:23 AM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 6 2012, 08:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So maybe I'm a bad person, but has anyone noticed the flip side to the fact that you get no res while dead? IE where that res goes.

A few days ago I was playing and was watching my pres and noticed it kept changing. Then it dawned on me that my. Team was dieing, and I was getting their res....

I used to get annoyed when players threw their life away and had 1-29 scores. Now I realize that's 29 times they gave me res. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you sure its working like that currently? Because i have experienced that the resources other players would gain are not given to team members.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    [squint] check playingteam.lua

pres allocated on a tick is based on # of alive non-comm players that have less then max resources.
    the game then turns around and assigns that pool to the same set of alive players.
    if a player would exceed max during the allocation, then that diff is allocated to other players.

If you are getting add'l res, then some additional magic must be happening somewhere.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2012685:date=Nov 6 2012, 02:45 PM:name=extollo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (extollo @ Nov 6 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[squint] check playingteam.lua

pres allocated on a tick is based on # of alive non-comm players that have less then max resources.
    the game then turns around and assigns that pool to the same set of alive players.
    if a player would exceed max during the allocation, then that diff is allocated to other players.

If you are getting add'l res, then some additional magic must be happening somewhere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no what you just said.... pres is allocated to the set of alive players... if im the only player alive, then i get the entire pool.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013037:date=Nov 6 2012, 04:00 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 6 2012, 04:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no what you just said.... pres is allocated to the set of alive players... if im the only player alive, then i get the entire pool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He's saying the total amount divided amongst players is itself determined by the number of alive players, so the amount per player should be the same. This is the first I've heard anything about dead players increasing your res flow.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013037:date=Nov 6 2012, 04:00 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Nov 6 2012, 04:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no what you just said.... pres is allocated to the set of alive players... if im the only player alive, then i get the entire pool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

P res income is individual and independent, its not like the alien res in ns1 was. AKA each rt generates certain amount per player and then gives the player that amount if theyre alive.
    edited November 2012
    Hmmm... Well then I challenge you to explain why the press changes every tick in accordance with player deaths.

I will myself go double check but I'm pretty sure that the pres pool is based on # of RTs.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    *starts game to test this theory.*
  • PlunkiesPlunkies Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165217Members
    So if someone has maxed res, do other players get their share?
  • CrusherCrusher Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156083Members
    I think you get 0.125 res every 8 sec for each RT the team has. That is if you're alive. Don't think you get more when you're alive and some of your teammates are dead.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2012679:date=Nov 6 2012, 02:39 PM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Nov 6 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure its working like that currently? Because i have experienced that the resources other players would gain are not given to team members.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats how it seems to me too
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    Does anyone consider it an issue that this mechanic encourages staying alive? I would think that the game would benefit more from encouraging players to focus more on the objectives/team rather than their own life.

"Take that resource node!"
    "NO I'll die and I wanna be Onos!"
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2013402:date=Nov 6 2012, 08:49 PM:name=Katana314)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana314 @ Nov 6 2012, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone consider it an issue that this mechanic encourages staying alive? I would think that the game would benefit more from encouraging players to focus more on the objectives/team rather than their own life.

"NO I'll die and I wanna be Onos!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Problem is, without it people just rush into combat not caring if they die which is worse for the team. Most people need encouragement to play more conservatively, not less.
    I know that's what I do. When the commander tells me marines are somewhere, especially somewhere important, I rush at it as long as I think I have a decent shot. The only thing I tend to think about risking is my respawning time.
    <!--quoteo(post=2013402:date=Nov 7 2012, 12:49 AM:name=Katana314)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana314 @ Nov 7 2012, 12:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone consider it an issue that this mechanic encourages staying alive? I would think that the game would benefit more from encouraging players to focus more on the objectives/team rather than their own life.

"NO I'll die and I wanna be Onos!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No because a lot times more it is more productive for, lets say a skulk, to return to the hive to heal then continue to attack, die, then respawn. Thats one of the reasons why no res while dead was introduced
    I dunno. That seems to be a disagreement of basic game design principles there.

One aspect of Team Fortress 2 I know about from their design commentary is that they preferred players to take risks; for the state of a game to change, and for territory boundaries to shift, rather than for people to play conservatively. That's partially why they moved away from Attack And Defend maps, more towards Attack Or Defend (so that people can solely concern themselves with one objective, never staying alive to protect/attack the other). It's also the main reason The Medic had his healing abilities increased, especially for players that had not been healed in a while, so people would never be running all the way back to their main base. Finally, it was the main motivation behind the Ubercharge, to break up a defense if a game was getting too stale.

I may be drifting from the point a little; the general idea though is that I think Valve prefer more players to be killing and dying rather than playing dragged-out games of cat and mouse. This is just one interpretation of their ideas though.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    so the rest of your team gets awareded from you dying? interesting.

would make sense in situations where you are sacrificing as skulks, but i dunno how you could program the game to make it know your strategy.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2013447:date=Nov 6 2012, 08:19 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 6 2012, 08:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so the rest of your team gets awareded from you dying? interesting.

would make sense in situations where you are sacrificing as skulks, but i dunno how you could program the game to make it know your strategy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. The OP is wrong. When you are dead, your pres is simply lost. You do not split it. The varying numbers (0.09 - 0.2) that you see pop up in the bottom right are just rounding errors. You gain 0.125 pres per tick per harvester regardless of how many teammates or dead people you have. The only exception is when a teammate is at 100 pres. Then his res will overflow, split between the rest of the team.
    edited November 2012
    hmmm... rounding errors? I dont quite buy that as the reason for the numbers changing, but I also havnt looked at anyof the coding... I assumed that if we had 3 harvesters and all players with less then 100 pres then every tick the game would make the exact same calculation and would round the exact same way. This would result in the same number apearing in the corner every tick until the number of RTs changed or a player hit 100 pres.... since in any sample of 10 consecutive ticks where the number of RTs didnt changed and no one reached 100 the numbers constantly changed i ASSUMED that a third factor came into play (people were dieing).

In the end i no longer claim to understand the current Pres flow system and am again saddened to see people through themselves into no win situations.... (thanks Gorgeous for darkening my silver lining)
    <!--quoteo(post=2013482:date=Nov 6 2012, 08:47 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 6 2012, 08:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. The OP is wrong. When you are dead, your pres is simply lost. You do not split it. The varying numbers (0.09 - 0.2) that you see pop up in the bottom right are just rounding errors. You gain 0.125 pres per tick per harvester regardless of how many teammates or dead people you have. The only exception is when a teammate is at 100 pres. Then his res will overflow, split between the rest of the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the # of recipients are calculated using:

if player and player:GetResources() < kMaxPersonalResources and player:GetIsAlive() and not player:isa("Commander") then
    recipientCount = recipientCount + 1

That count is used to determine the total pres to be allocated on the tick.

local pResGained = numRTs * kPlayerResPerInterval * self:GetPresRecipientCount()

Then the game splits the res on that tick back to the Alive & non Commander players. If a player hits 100 pres *on that tick* the leftovers will over-flow.
    But on subsequent ticks players with kMaxPersonalResources are excluded from the recipient count & their res on that tick is lost.
    WAIT HOLD ON.... now im really lost are you saying that there is only overflow on the tick that you hit 100pres... and that it stops after that???
    edited November 2012
    ^ yea. if a player has max resources they are excluded from the count that calculates the amount of pres to allocate.

the logic does seem a little weird.. why bother overflow at all? pres allocation and overflow has evolved over time. there have been a number of changes that got it to this state.
    <!--quoteo(post=2013447:date=Nov 7 2012, 01:19 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 7 2012, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so the rest of your team gets awareded from you dying? interesting.

would make sense in situations where you are sacrificing as skulks, but i dunno how you could program the game to make it know your strategy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly.

The only way Dying is more productive is the tire 3 upgrade for skulks, Xenosice, which is a suicidle bomb attack. Thats tire 3 for a reason. If you have 3 hives up you can afford to do this. That's why on 1 or 2 hives its better for you and you're team if you would just go and heal up at your hive rather then dying and waiting for spawn. But thats why a competent khamm would have forward crags though, to reduce the distance to heal, and to stop people who are to lazy or people with little understanding of the game yet, getting them selves killed for no reason.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Oo oo ooo o, Recursion!

See, I learned stuff!
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2013482:date=Nov 6 2012, 05:47 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 6 2012, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. The OP is wrong. When you are dead, your pres is simply lost. You do not split it. The varying numbers (0.09 - 0.2) that you see pop up in the bottom right are just rounding errors. You gain 0.125 pres per tick per harvester regardless of how many teammates or dead people you have. The only exception is when a teammate is at 100 pres. Then his res will overflow, split between the rest of the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've noticed a lot of weird rounding issues for example if you try to set your sensitivity to 1.7 it will say 1.66669945784 or something ._.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2013526:date=Nov 6 2012, 09:28 PM:name=extollo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (extollo @ Nov 6 2012, 09:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013526"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the # of recipients are calculated using:

if player and player:GetResources() < kMaxPersonalResources and player:GetIsAlive() and not player:isa("Commander") then
    recipientCount = recipientCount + 1

That count is used to determine the total pres to be allocated on the tick.

local pResGained = numRTs * kPlayerResPerInterval * self:GetPresRecipientCount()

Then the game splits the res on that tick back to the Alive & non Commander players. If a player hits 100 pres *on that tick* the leftovers will over-flow.
    But on subsequent ticks players with kMaxPersonalResources are excluded from the recipient count & their res on that tick is lost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Confirmed via in game testing. Thanks for the correction. Overflow res no longer exists. I'm not sure when this changed.

So to revise my statement how the pres works: In 99.9% of situations, you gain 0.125 pres per tick per harvester regardless of how many teammates or dead people you have.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Just throwing in my 2 cents, I have seen my pres gains "jump" for a tick.

say.... 0.25.....0.31.....0.25.....

I have noticed that the majority of my team was dead during that tick.