Please recommend game hosting service

SenorBeefSenorBeef Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167400Members
I want to get a 16-20 man NS2 server for my friends to play on, but I have no idea out of all the competing game host providers who's good.

I want it to be hosted somewhere in the central area of the US, or slightly west. Dallas would be ideal since pretty much everyone in the country pings that way, but I can't have that, I'd prefer west of Dallas. Of course it has to be able to run the server properly - I don't want to see server perf dropping below 90%.

It has to have relatively easy to use controls over mods. I want to run stats and possibly reserved slot mods and maybe stuff like alien vision mods.

I don't know if the game supports it, but if there's some mechanism whereby using a server control panel people can swap which team players are on would be nice. I like to try to play with my friends but with the default autobalance system and people's tendency to refuse to play one team or the other it can be difficult to get on the same team.

If it comes with a free mumble server, that'd be a nice bonus.

Cost isn't that big an issue. Obviously I'd prefer cheaper, but I'm willing to pay if it's a signficiantly better experience. I've seen some hosting services for $1.25 a slot - are they significantly worse than the $2/slot types?

Which provider is right for me? Thanks.

Comments

• woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    edited November 2012
    Please review this >>>>>>>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122718" target="_blank">server info</a>

And This >>>>>>>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121581" target="_blank">NS2 Server Specs and Performance</a>

Loving my server 18man full 27/7 tick average 29-27 Just remember YOU PAY for service and support so don't be shy.
  • StukaJU87cStukaJU87c Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166988Members
    I've never owned a server before but I ordered a server from Hosted Game Servers and from what I've experienced so far I wouldn't recommend it...cheap but they server was bugged for 10 hours and could not be connected to...and now I can't configure at all....also can't seem to use the web admin interface
  • SenorBeefSenorBeef Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167400Members
    Ordering tonight, any other experiences?
  • CidmanCidman Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33606Members
    I've had a great experience with BlueFangSolutions in both Chivalry and NS2. Fast setup, great support and full FTP access. Can't recommend them enough!
  • StukaJU87cStukaJU87c Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166988Members
    I'd go with Blue Fang...great customer service, easy, and their central loc is in dallas
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    i recommend ns2servers.com they have better gear then most of the server operators. :)
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    I would also highly recommend ns2servers.com. They are higher then most others, but you get unlimited slots and they just perform absolutely terrific.