What does "release" mean for this game?

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">(What caliber of changes can be expect in future patches?)</div>Maybe there is already an official statement that I am overlooking:
What does "release" mean for the game? Are features and balance pretty much nailed down, or is it still in a beta-like state (and just stable and fun enough that you can start selling it already) and things and maps are still open to massive changes if it was necessary? Or maybe not even all planned features are implemented yet?

Just wondering about those things, so we can keep a realistic scope about expectations and feature suggestions.

Comments

• PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm not sure if I am correct, but I would compare this to Team Fortress 2 when it was released. Complete but ton's of new stuff to be added and polished over a longer period of time.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Patches will still happen, but less frequently. There is still a long list of things that will be added. New maps, new settings (biodome, etc.), new features that didn't make it into the game for release. Search the forum if you want it official.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    UWE have constantly said that 1.0 is the 'beginning'. Personally I think release was needed to get the cash flow going again, and I am really happy for the guys that things are going better than expected.

Funding a team like this to keep doing what they are doing is a fantastic thing, I am looking forward to watching NS2 mature.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    All the developers are still working on the game for the foreseeable future. They're planning a lot of new content. The main difference will be that the patches should be more stable and less experimental since the game is no longer a beta.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011734:date=Nov 5 2012, 05:50 PM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Nov 5 2012, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure if I am correct, but I would compare this to Team Fortress 2 when it was released. Complete but ton's of new stuff to be added and polished over a longer period of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd compare it more to NS1.0. The current version is complete, but has enough bugs and niggling errors that it's still quite a ways from it's full potential. If they drop development on NS2 now I'll be forced to say that it's just a worse game in almost every way than NS1. But there's a lot of potential for NS2 still, I'm far from ready to give up on it now.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    3 evolves are missing, babblers are missing, first person specc is missing, rail gun is missing, female marines are missing, more maps are coming, etc..

They still have plenty of stuff to do. :>
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I heard them say in a Q&A that they'll continue to update the game (features, maps, balance, optimisation) for as a long the sale figures will support them. So hopefully it'll continue to sell well.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Do they know what kind of patch cycle will be used now? Monthly?
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    I'm really curious. :) In the nearest future I'm guessing we'll probably only see bugfixes, balancing, optimization, and later on improved mod tools, new official maps. Eventually there will be brand new lifeforms, structures and guns, and <a href="http://nsmanual.do.am/_bl/0/16449968.jpg" target="_blank">babblers</a>...! :o