What Happened to "Door Welding" Idea?

HappyFlappsHappyFlapps Join Date: 2011-12-01 Member: 136087Members
Remember that scene from the movie, "Aliens" when the Marines were frantically trying to get the doors welded shut to buy them some time to prepare for the alien horde's attacks? I remember a thread where, I think it was Flayra, who was saying the Marine's would have a similar ability for certain doors (I think the mapper would have to build these doors into his/her maps). Anyway, since that time I've been waiting for this ability to appear and now that the full game has been released, it's nowhere to be found. Is this ever going to be part of NS2? I was really looking forward to its inclusion in the game.

Comments

• PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010451:date=Nov 5 2012, 01:04 AM:name=HappyFlapps)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HappyFlapps @ Nov 5 2012, 01:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010451"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remember that scene from the movie, "Aliens" when the Marines were frantically trying to get the doors welded shut to buy them some time to prepare for the alien horde's attacks? I remember a thread where, I think it was Flayra, who was saying the Marine's would have a similar ability for certain doors (I think the mapper would have to build these doors into his/her maps). Anyway, since that time I've been waiting for this ability to appear and now that the full game has been released, it's nowhere to be found. Is this ever going to be part of NS2? I was really looking forward to its inclusion in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As with everything you have to be patient these days... xD
    They said: Door welding, Webs and Railguns will make it into the game.

So they are presumably the next big priorities... :)
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
    Yeah, I hope this happens at some point! I'm in no rush though. I'm just happy to play NS2.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    Play Killing Floor for a bit of that moody experience. (Though, the goal of the game is to kill them all, not to buy time, so...)
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    At one point during development, the code for welding ended up breaking. I think it has a good chance of making it in during a later patch.
  • HappyFlappsHappyFlapps Join Date: 2011-12-01 Member: 136087Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010484:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:36 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Nov 4 2012, 06:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At one point during development, the code for welding ended up breaking. I think it has a good chance of making it in during a later patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2010455:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:08 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 4 2012, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As with everything you have to be patient these days... xD
    They said: Door welding, Webs and Railguns will make it into the game.

So they are presumably the next big priorities... :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope you guys are right! I'm thinking the door welding feature would be a good analog for the Alien commander's ability to force blocking spikes up from the floor to trap or delay Marines. A few Marines welding a door could buy them a few moments more to allow for dead 'Rines to respawn or for Marines to rush to an area that urgently needs help from an Onos rush.

Anyway - what I'm saying is that if UWE can invoke gameplay that makes players start to feel a sense of urgency that verges on panic, they hey, they got an even bigger winner on their hands with NS2.
  • sushia11sushia11 Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162112Members
    I hope we have to aim our welders at the right spots at the door. I don't want to be able to just weld the side of a door have the game automatically say it's stuck. Some visual and auditory feedback on when different aliens hit the door (especially onos) would also be nice.

These could be used early game when map control can be of utmost importance. Marines could delay the progress of aliens to a given area, buying time.

Ideal Implementation ===>To instill a sense of "panic," it would be interesting to see a room in a map that only had two (maybe 3) entrances: one facing the marine side of the map and another facing the aliens'. No vents. Then, a couple marines could weld the door closed, and form a firing squad at the far end of the room. It would have to be a rather long room, so that the marines could have a clear line of fire. The door shudders, and out bursts 8 aliens. I can just see the hail of bullets and panic in my mind's eye.

As it stands, I can think of one place where this could work. The connection to Repair room and Tram Hub on Tram has an opening that could be weldable. It has 3 entrances, but if rines have the southern and northern part of the map it shouldn't be a problem.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010484:date=Nov 4 2012, 08:36 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Nov 4 2012, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At one point during development, the code for welding ended up breaking. I think it has a good chance of making it in during a later patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This. Charlie was asked about this in a Q&A interview a while ago and mentioned that the code was actually still in the game and they weren't really sure why it wasn't working since it hadn't been changed at all, but given that the game as a whole was still working they weren't going to change it for release. It's going to get fixed, though.
  • HappyFlappsHappyFlapps Join Date: 2011-12-01 Member: 136087Members
    Yep, i can think of a few more places where a weldable door would add to the gameplay and to tactical side of the game. By the way, speaking of Alien rushes: On Friday night I was playing on the Norcal server and the Marines (for whom I was playing) had bottled up the Aliens inside of the Server Room. I was with a group of about 5 or 6 'Rines gaurding the west entrance to the hive and we were easily killing aliens as they came out in dribs and drabs. We were waiting for our ARCs to finish building and arrive at our location so we simply held our position with the help of an Armory. Anyway, after killing off many, many aliens, they stopped coming for a long time. You could feel something brewing and the tension was really starting to mount when all of a sudden, about 9 or 10 Skulks simply exploded out of the corridor we were gaurding and while we shot a few of them, they overwhelmed us pretty quickly. It was a nice "last hurrah" for their team, as the game was pretty much over at that point. But I gotta say, this game has some serious "wish I'd have Frapps'ed that" moments and I'm loving this shizzy!