Skulk walk Sounds ######

scorpacscorpac Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Well,

in NS-1 the Skulk walk sound was fine. To hear that an enemy is coming for marines and aliens was same hard. In NS2 i feel like an Army of Skulks is coming around the corner when i am marine. I dont know what you thought about doing that. But it sounds like a single Skulk has 8 Legs instead of 4 Legs. Evolution made all animals with 4 legs who run fast to use the legs simultanously and not leg by leg. Anyways. The sound of Skulks walking is much more easy to hear than a marines sound. Please add suggestions.

See how an animal with 4 legs is running:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeErz1pI_mc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeErz1pI_mc</a>

Comments

• PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009778:date=Nov 4 2012, 05:11 PM:name=scorpac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpac @ Nov 4 2012, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->See how an animal with 4 legs is running:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeErz1pI_mc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeErz1pI_mc</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Watch your video... All four of its feet hit the ground at different times.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009796:date=Nov 4 2012, 05:25 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 4 2012, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Watch your video... All four of its feet hit the ground at different times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I was confused as well by that statement :P
  • scorpacscorpac Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I dont know if your ears work properly, but compare the video with the sounds of the skulk ingame. Also watch the Skulk ingame running, and see that the sound doesnt match the actual movement of it.

Animation of Anatomy
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpvjkpuu5QA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpvjkpuu5QA</a>
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Oh don't worry I agree with the sound issue, but not just the Skulk sound. The entire audio position system is very bad even with high quality headphones it is still very annoying to try and pin point the sounds, judge distance or amount of enemies. My, well our remark was just about the "Evolution made all animals with 4 legs who run fast to use the legs simultaneously and not leg by leg" you posted, which is clearly not true :P
  • RationalgazeRationalgaze Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165694Members
    I've had issues with client latency causing my own skulkstep sounds to play more than they should.

On higher ping servers it does indeed sound like there are 2 skulks when it's only just myself running about.
    Offline in explore mode, this doesn't happen and the sounds behave as normal.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I want to be able to hear my own feet when im sprinting as if they were below me, not 50 miles away, and i want to hear skulks as if they are 50 miles away, instead of right below me! D: (like, when they are that far away)
  • wh173wh173 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166609Members
    edited November 2012
    i find the skulk walk sound too similar to marines

sound retarded i know but hear me out

when i am skulk, i have to stop walking to diferentiate marines walking sound from my own when theyre close.

and now about perceiveing how many skulks there are through sound as a marine, i think its fine. i always know when theres just 1 or 2, now, if theres more than that and they are coming from the same place, i cant diferentiate.
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    I've had to stop moving on both teams to figure out which footsteps I was hearing.
  • lolwowlolwow Join Date: 2012-10-06 Member: 161681Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010732:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:23 PM:name=wh173)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wh173 @ Nov 4 2012, 11:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010732"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when i am skulk, i have to stop walking to diferentiate marines walking sound from my own when theyre close.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah I get that too sometimes. the one thing I listen for to differentiate the marine is it sounds like they carry a bag that is shuffling around, like clothes frictioning on each other
  • scorpacscorpac Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009860:date=Nov 4 2012, 07:06 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 4 2012, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I was confused as well by that statement :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I bet you get what i mean, but you shouldnt always be searching for the Hair in the Soup.

NS2:
    One cycle of steps takes 4 Seconds: Each second you can hear 1 Foot hitting the ground.

Reallife:
    One Cycle of steps takes 4 Seconds: You can hear the 2 arms hitting the ground short after each other, the 2 legs hit the ground nearly at the same time. So you can hear only 2 small steps and one big for each cycle..

Take the 4 Seconds as an example. I know its alot shorter.

I hope that discribes it a littlebit better.... Just tried to explain how it should be.