Idea: Adding abilities to Clogs

stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">An idea to diversity gorge play</div>Playing gorge is fun, but they don't have as many buildings as they did in NS1, as that responsibility has been handed over to the commander.

I have an idea to diversify gorge play. Clogs are a lot of fun, but they are kind of static. They have many uses, but once they are placed, they don't do much. Charlie often references mine craft when talking about the clogs, which got me thinking, why not add some specialized clogs that have unique effects on the environment and players around them. The same way mine-craft had blocks with different characteristics, there could be a variety of clogs that the gorge could use. It would add some diversity to the alien tech tree, as well as add some more dimensions to gorge play.

I envision them as different colors/textures to differentiate them from one another. Maybe some cost more than others, out of the gorges clog pool. I see them primarily used as traps. They could be like proximity mines, with different effects. On touch, they could rupture into a cloud of gas with some kind of area of effect, or explode and slow marines down covering them in bile, maybe grounding jet-packers for a moment. You could have some clogs that rupture into a shrapnily explosion of parasites tagging nearby marines. Maybe they could be anchor points for webbing.

Making towers of buildings in NS1 was awesome, because the combination of them could come up with some interesting strategies. I think this could be a compelling avenue to re-create something similar, and diversity Gorge play.

Comments

• louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    how about spore mines from ns1? that mod was great and made gorges more important in defense. For ns2 make them cost 1 resource each and make a limit so 20 cant be in one area. In ns1 spore mines would parasite , cause damage and eject spores when it exploded on contact. The spore mines will only be placed on infestation. Make the spore mines nearly invisable in the infestation so it makes the flame-thrower that much more important and the main counter against the mines.

Hows this idea.
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    Honestly, I think it would be fine if gorges could simply build the upgraded buildings (crags / shades / shifts). Also, web would be nice to have back :)
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    I like the idea of mines.
  • BlackyBlacky Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166887Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2009295:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:17 AM:name=stickyboot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stickyboot @ Nov 4 2012, 12:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Playing gorge is fun, but they don't have as many buildings as they did in NS1, as that responsibility has been handed over to the commander.

I have an idea to diversify gorge play. Clogs are a lot of fun, but they are kind of static. They have many uses, but once they are placed, they don't do much. Charlie often references mine craft when talking about the clogs, which got me thinking, why not add some specialized clogs that have unique effects on the environment and players around them. The same way mine-craft had blocks with different characteristics, there could be a variety of clogs that the gorge could use. It would add some diversity to the alien tech tree, as well as add some more dimensions to gorge play.

I envision them as different colors/textures to differentiate them from one another. Maybe some cost more than others, out of the gorges clog pool. I see them primarily used as traps. They could be like proximity mines, with different effects. On touch, they could rupture into a cloud of gas with some kind of area of effect, or explode and slow marines down covering them in bile, maybe grounding jet-packers for a moment. You could have some clogs that rupture into a shrapnily explosion of parasites tagging nearby marines. Maybe they could be anchor points for webbing.

Making towers of buildings in NS1 was awesome, because the combination of them could come up with some interesting strategies. I think this could be a compelling avenue to re-create something similar, and diversity Gorge play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2009328:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:07 AM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Nov 4 2012, 03:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about spore mines from ns1? that mod was great and made gorges more important in defense. For ns2 make them cost 1 resource each and make a limit so 20 cant be in one area. In ns1 spore mines would parasite , cause damage and eject spores when it exploded on contact. The spore mines will only be placed on infestation. Make the spore mines nearly invisable in the infestation so it makes the flame-thrower that much more important and the main counter against the mines.

Hows this idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both really great ideas.. Love them! and it wut be awesome if just even one of them wut make it to the game.. :)