i honestly feel the ns1 style HMG is needed in the game

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
As of right now the only way to get a stronger medium to long range weapon that fires standard bullets is by spending 50 or 75 resources on an exo.

In NS1 i loved how you could have the HMG or GL on the heavy suit because it added diversity to getting heavy armour (HA) and it encouraged teamwork. This can be done even further as flamethrowers exist, making squad diversity with a variety of weapons. Secondly and most importantly, the cost is too much.

The amount of res is too much for just asking for a stronger ranged DPS. In NS1 you could buy an HMG for just 15 res (which would equate to 25 in NS2 or 30 making it more expensive than the shotgun).

The HMG in ns1 was so balanced as its large capacity with good firerate was couped with a long reload time that could kill potentially a marine. This encouraged teamwork as one would cover the other while he was reloading for so many seconds.

Another factor i loved was how Jetpacks had their fuel consumed faster if you used a heavier weapon. I'd love to see this as it made it tricky whether a jetpack should be bought with a shotgun or HMG(Trading range for mobility and). a copy of the ns1 hmg could even suffice.

The end game marine team is kind of overpowered as well. a team that knows what its doing in my opinion flawlessly beats the aliens if enough exos with jetpackers equipped with welders are there to support. And dont forget the infamous Mac trains that require xxxx number of xeno-cides to remove.

With the insane resource cost i feel one of the following things should be done:

The marines should be able to get a minigun or an HMG from a advanced armory. A weapons that is an upgrade from the standard rifle (but obviously with limited ammo) Should cost either 25 or 30.

The Exo suit should have a reduced cost from 50/75 to 35. And they just used normal marine weapons from the armory instead of an overpowered unlimited ammunition chain-gun. This way the commander can do more than just send a mac train to help them, and can drop ammmo or forward armories. and with this being done (exos can use normal weapons and dont get the overpowered spray cannon) they should be able to purchase welders too.

This is what i think should happen for the sake of more teamplay and weapon diversity for marines.

Comments

• TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    With the ineffectiveness of Carapace, W3 LMGs might as well be HMGs - the relative power output is the same.

HMGs in NS1 had to compete with stronger aliens, since carapace 3 added a lot of survivability. That isn't the case, and the Fade is considerably weaker now. So what would be the point besides to gib skulks even easier?
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    The point is lategame LMG needs a nerf, and the HMG (or a new equivalent weapon, plasma rifle or something high tech would be sexy) is the logical way to soften that blow.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2009344:date=Nov 4 2012, 10:23 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With the ineffectiveness of Carapace, W3 LMGs might as well be HMGs - the relative power output is the same.

HMGs in NS1 had to compete with stronger aliens, since carapace 3 added a lot of survivability. That isn't the case, and the Fade is considerably weaker now. So what would be the point besides to gib skulks even easier?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    HMG had more bullets and awesome reload cycle though, which made it a much more interesting choice compared to just a heavy firepower rifle
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    You couldn't put the HMG from NS1 into NS2. In NS1 it was kind of balanced by the fact that the commander had to buy it for you. The HMG would need a major balance overhaul if it was to make a reappearance. Fades and Lerks are having enough trouble as it is right now.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    HMG would not affect the fade or lerk that much. Its also very expensive to go advanced armory and then research heavy machines guns. The cost per weapon AND the research cost can easily control how powerful this would be. Im pretty sure if HMG did make an appearance it would be more expensive than the flamer/GL.

and i agree, i liked its high capcity long reload element.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009980:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:21 PM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Nov 4 2012, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HMG would not affect the fade or lerk that much. Its also very expensive to go advanced armory and then research heavy machines guns. The cost per weapon AND the research cost can easily control how powerful this would be. Im pretty sure if HMG did make an appearance it would be more expensive than the flamer/GL.

and i agree, i liked its high capcity long reload element.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not affect Lerks and Fades? Did you even play NS1?
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009862:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:07 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 4 2012, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HMG had more bullets and awesome reload cycle though, which made it a much more interesting choice compared to just a heavy firepower rifle<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I will say, the HMG served much more of a purpose.

L3 Carapace countered the weapon upgrades nicely, which meant in order to counter THAT, marines actually had to invest MONEY into doing it. With W3 how it is, you can punch through everything that isn't an Onos with the LMG, which you get for free. HMGs were expensive, slow (and tons of fun to use), and I'd rather have it than the current weapon upgrades.

That's a point. Why do we even need the W0 - W3 upgrades? Shouldn't the marines be upgrading with firepower, not Ogre Slaying Kinves with a +9 against Ogres?
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited November 2012
    Get rid of weapon upgrades..hooray

Implement HMG (or heavy rifle equivalent name it whatever you want) that marines have to purchase.

HMG damage = Rifle W3 upgrade damage...or there abouts

Balance shotgun, GL and FT in a world with no weapon upgrades.
  • DogfaceDogface Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167225Members
    The HMG was nice, but I can see why they've taken it out. Normal marines already have plenty of variation in their firepower with shotguns, GLs, flamethrowers, and upgrading rifles. The lategame HMGs and/or HA's from NS1 have been combined into exos, and I think that's good, as it really makes them distinct units with different traits and feel, rather than basically just being a reskinned upgrade. There's still a decent amount of variation between single-gun (more melee combat) and dual-gun (ranged), I think.

But I think part of the appeal of the HMG and the reason it's still such a popular request is that it gave you a nice visual/audio representation of your increased strength in the late game (it looked and sounded totally badass). Maybe instead, rifles could go through a visual upgrade as the comm upgrades them -- more size, more heavy-duty components, more readouts, stronger tracers, louder firing sounds, etc -- like the sentry upgrading in TF2, and a nice visual fit with the 'unfolding' style they're designed with. That'd take some modelling/animation work, though.