Would kickstarter still be viable post-release? How would you feel about paying for a DLC to support

2»

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Temphage:</b></u>

I'd be apt to agree on the hydralisk. . .
    Fade used to have acid rockets, but now gets vortex which seems to only get me killed whenever I try it

A complex evolution system might be a bit heavy handed and would have to be completely operated by the commander who might already be knee deep in microing other stuff

Still it's an interesting concept

A lot of people want something besides Xenocide on skulks for T3, but I play a lot of matches in high pop servers and I wouldn't dream of anything else
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008530:date=Nov 3 2012, 08:36 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Nov 3 2012, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but now gets vortex which seems to only get me killed whenever I try it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've come to the conclusion that Vortex is just awfulbad.

It takes a ton of energy, and it only phases out the target for 3 seconds. That's right, only 3. If it even hits what you're aiming at. I tried to phase out a guy with a jetpack and a grenade launcher, and instead it phased out the guy next to him. Interestingly the guy with the jetpack's weapon appeared to phase out too, but I think he could still use it. This unfortunately left me severely depleted of energy and I had to leave.

It might have use against an Exo, but it's a 3-hive ability and usually by then you have better things to counter Exos with.

I thought it would be a stand-in for devour... blink in to two marines, Vortex one and kill the other while his buddy's gone... but three seconds is so short, you literally don't have time to switch weapons and attack before the other guy is back.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited November 2012
    thanks to electronic arts or whoever started the DLC inferno.

epic brain wash successful. the chinese communist should learn.

next time charlie should put a box outside his office selling DLC of DLC donation box. people just flood in and insert notes and coins
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2008167:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:59 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 01:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://i.imgur.com/JcpgB.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/JcpgB.png</a>

I threw this together to show what the evolution system SHOULD'VE been like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It doesn't look like you've put any thought at all into how these abilities could be fought against by the marine side.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008909:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:11 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Nov 4 2012, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't look like you've put any thought at all into how these abilities could be fought against by the marine side.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I never said the marines couldn't use a makeover either.

PS: Use the finalized list: <a href="http://i.imgur.com/T8Y07.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/T8Y07.png</a>

If you removed everything that is an upgrade now, or was an upgrade in the past, as well as the passive improvements that are there only to smooth out the curve and help the lifeforms remain competitive (ie: how level 2 cloak in NS1 was 'less perfect', or level 2 silence made some noise, but not much), this is what you're left with:

<a href="http://i.imgur.com/nyUfy.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/nyUfy.png</a>

A few new abilities, and a big expansion in the Parasite area to make it more engaging and helpful to the team.
  • ReleaseRelease Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165242Members
    edited November 2012
    I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you say Temphage particularly in regards to the Aliens who in my view at least need serious work but at the end of the day UWE still again in my opinion made a good game, commanding for instance in both NS 1 and NS 2 is still one of the most unique and rewarding experiences I've ever had in any game and I would have bought NS 2 to be able to do that and nothing else. So while you make good points, I think there's a need to separate critical suggestions within the game of which yours are often good to an overall judgement of the game itself. Even with the issues I don't regret my purchase.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008578:date=Nov 3 2012, 09:08 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 3 2012, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've come to the conclusion that Vortex is just awfulbad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its only use I have seen as any good is to Phase out the Obs whilst the team chew the power... For a 3rd ability its pretty lame...
    But honestly what can you expect when the fade is entirely gimped?

I would rather they ignored the uselessness of vortex till they make swipe viable.

---

If I give UWE $10,000 can I get a presidential red phone installed in my house that connects to their office?
    <!--quoteo(post=2008983:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:00 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 4 2012, 02:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its only use I have seen as any good is to Phase out the Obs whilst the team chew the power... For a 3rd ability its pretty lame...
    But honestly what can you expect when the fade is entirely gimped?

I would rather they ignored the uselessness of vortex till they make swipe viable.

---

If I give UWE $10,000 can I get a presidential red phone installed in my house that connects to their office?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was excited when I went up to a power node with the intent of blacking out the area for a few seconds to throw everyone off.

Didn't work :(
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2008079:date=Nov 3 2012, 01:23 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 3 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. They got my money and spent 5 years developing a turd. Why would I give them more to put in features that should've been in NS2 to begin with?

(and most posts you've posted)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow your such a negivive nora are't you. Most posts are about how the game is broken, or how alines are under powered or how marines are too OP. Chill out man its just been realsed and we have all know for a while they have featued post release. Its still fun game and your very biast towards aliens.

Also I would, but I dont think they have plans for DLC though. They already are going to make more maps and more maps and add new content to the game anyway, for free. DLC is a ploy that companies Like EA or Ubosoft (they are many more I know) use to milk money out or a game with content that should have been in the original release or should be free DLC. Take COD and BF map packs for example, they should be free, but why make them free when idiots will pay and not realsie it isn't worth it. Also Mass Effect 3 'From the ashes' DLC, That was released days after ME3 and it was content that should have just been in the game from the start and not paid DLC.

I hope UWE doesn't turn out like them.
  • Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
    Doesn't Vortex work on the Power node, giving your team free reign to wipe out the phase gate, and the obs while they can't warp back?
    Or did they remove that very usefully ability.

Also, Temphage. That evolution chart is pretty impressive. The costs would have to be managed so you can either go one or two trees fully in a standard game, or that you can only get small parts of all of them to not make it overpowered.

Or that it evolves depending on your playstyle. In fact, just thinking about this makes it even better. If the marines keep killing you with fire, you get fire resistance, they use grenades, you get explosive resistance. If you move slowly, and stealthily, you get the sneaky style, etc. This way, it's actually 'Natural Selection'. Locking off branches once you get one would have to happen so you don't for instance get both fire and explosive resistance, but could be forcibly changed with the pres.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    you can't vortex the power node
  • Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
    I remember being able to. Those were good times.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008585:date=Nov 3 2012, 04:14 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 3 2012, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thanks to electronic arts or whoever started the DLC inferno.

epic brain wash successful. the chinese communist should learn.

next time charlie should put a box outside his office selling DLC of DLC donation box. people just flood in and insert notes and coins<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was Bethesda. Remember Horse Armor for Oblivion?

Also there really isn't much point in released paid DLC for a game this modifiable. They could always reopen the Constellation program and make it a pay what you want type thing for an icon.