Flamethrowers

{LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
Did these get buffed recently? I've noticed that Commanders are researching them more and more, even before shottys in some cases or could you attribute this to ignorance on their part?

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    no the flamer is still very average its just the new players think its cool to use
  • jeffcojeffco Join Date: 2011-02-14 Member: 81785Members
    No, people just don't know what they are doing. Having more than one flame trowing marine in the team is a waste of resources. You shouldn't use flame throwers unless you are encountering whips and/or lerk gas.
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2006315:date=Nov 2 2012, 06:51 AM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Nov 2 2012, 06:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no the flamer is still very average its just the new players think its cool to use<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's probably my favorite weapon to actually use but it's rather useless in most situations, just funny and a tad sad to see a Marine team running around with Flamers the first few minutes in the game.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Definitely ignorance, you'd only want them later on versus fades or onos anyway, preferably in conjunction with jetpacks. (JP + FT is so much fun)
    In general, they could use a little more love, or just a small cost decrease to represent the fact that getting FTs on more than 2 players in the team is an outright bad idea. (Unlike mass GLs)
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vtQucipCzW8#t=48s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...QucipCzW8#t=48s</a>
    i wonder if this what runs through their minds
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2006323:date=Nov 2 2012, 06:53 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Nov 2 2012, 06:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Definitely ignorance, you'd only want them later on versus fades or onos anyway, preferably in conjunction with jetpacks. (JP + FT is so much fun)
    In general, they could use a little more love, or just a small cost decrease to represent the fact that getting FTs on more than 2 players in the team is an outright bad idea. (Unlike mass GLs)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah well, that's the fun of a newly released game I suppose, certainly seeing a lot more variety in the first few days of release than I have in the last several beta builds.
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    The Flame thrower is my favorite Anti-Fade Weapon as it drains energy as well as doing damage. They cant blink away for jack ######.

Not to mention they completely obliterate cysts. You can single handedly walk around the map and clear 90% of the infestation.

so they are not all bad
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    More variety in strategy is definitely a good thing, but unfortunately it won't be long before everyone realises there's only a few viable tech paths for both sides. The RTS side of NS 2 atm is just incredibly shallow. For marines it's generally PG first (then upg and weapons), for aliens it's almost always a second hive or shift hive + shift/RTS.

Imagine how truly great the game would be if there were was much more variety in viable strategic choices.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2006340:date=Nov 2 2012, 01:01 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Nov 2 2012, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More variety in strategy is definitely a good thing, but unfortunately it won't be long before everyone realises there's only a few viable tech paths for both sides. The RTS side of NS 2 atm is just incredibly shallow. For marines it's generally PG first (then upg and weapons), for aliens it's almost always a second hive or shift hive + shift/RTS.

Imagine how truly great the game would be if there were was much more variety in viable strategic choices.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome to 2 days after launch with zero metagame.

SC2 was basically 4gate / roach rush/ 3 rax for months.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2006337:date=Nov 2 2012, 07:59 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Nov 2 2012, 07:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Flame thrower is my favorite Anti-Fade Weapon as it drains energy as well as doing damage. They cant blink away for jack ######.

Not to mention they completely obliterate cysts. You can single handedly walk around the map and clear 90% of the infestation.

so they are not all bad<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah as a jetpacker, the flamerthrower is great for denying fades and skulks the ability to reach you since they quickly run out of energy.

Also, as alien commander I hate losing all my cysts to flamers. All my whips unroot. :(