Disable volumetric fog style flashlights?

GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
Is there some way to change the behaviour of other peoples' flashlights? When I shine my own flashlight on something, it behaves as I'd expect, but when other people on my team turn on their flashlights, they emit a semi-translucent cone of volumetric fog that is extremely distracting. If more than one person is shining a flashlight in the same area, it becomes extremely hard to see anything.

I understand that multiple light-emitting flashlights were probably not enabled for performance concerns, but unless your teammates flashlights blinding you is an intentional gameplay mechanic, it'd be really nice to be able to tone down the effect. Or to actually have them emit light sources, so that multiple people shining flashlights around would make it easier to see instead of harder.

Comments

• antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    I believe that is the ambient setting being turned on that is doing that. (I may be wrong)
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    I'll give that a try next time I have the game running, but it would be nice to be able to independently affect the flashlights from other settings. I'd rather keep the effect as it applies to things like sunbeams, it's just the flashlights that are annoying since your teammates tend to be looking at the same things that you want to look at :)
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sry for being Captain obvious, but have you tried switching atmospherics off in the options menu?
    Not yet. I'll give that a shot, but as I said, that's kind of a temporary solution since it disables other things too.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    People complained about that a lot during the beta without effect, so I guess it's a design decision. You need to turn off atmospherics.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I did complain during the beta, and I still don't think it's a sound choice. A flashlight is supposed to help, not impede. If you absolutely must keep the fog, please consider reducing its opacity considerably.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    I also brought it up a few times, atmospherics and fog give poor viability and contrast, need some tweaking, its similar with lighting and shadows, they're a bit harsh and could do with a bit of brightening up and smoothing.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited November 2012
    i'm sure the dev's are aware of people hating on how strong the fog is, i love the look of atmospherics too much to turn it off, but i really HATE how strong it is, and i also hate how people leave their flashlights on when the room is powered :\, the thing is i shouldn't hate that its way too strong and it needs to be reduced

im sure its a design choice to show fog, but im also sure that its not suppose to be super strong to the point where i cant see the skulk im shooting cause my mate getting bit has his flashlight on and i cant save him!

just remember to keep complaining on forums even if it takes a new thread to be on the first page, they will take notice if they havent already
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004074:date=Nov 1 2012, 07:30 AM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 1 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I understand that multiple light-emitting flashlights were probably not enabled for performance concerns<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is enabled. And the dynamic lighting in Spark, especially what comes from the flashlights, is beautiful. I also never understood why we have to look at fog instead. I play without atmospherics, which is a little sad.
    There has not been any comment on that from the devs for years, we don't know what's up with that. Usually they comment stuff that is mentioned that often.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004805:date=Nov 1 2012, 01:52 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Nov 1 2012, 01:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is enabled. And the dynamic lighting in Spark, especially what comes from the flashlights, is beautiful. I also never understood why we have to look at fog instead. I play without atmospherics, which is a little sad.
    There has not been any comment on that from the devs for years, we don't know what's up with that. Usually they comment stuff that is mentioned that often.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The best thing that spark has going for it imo is the lighting first, textures second, when the lighting is done right i think its one of the best looking games and we all know UWE wants to improve not only performance but stated by cory "i think" he wants to improve graphical features after the game gets released which is from now.

personally i think it would be awesome once they improve the performance they can make the infestation cast its own shadows so it can block light sources to make some rooms even darker, or even better make powered rooms without a power node dark without having to break an equiped power node :D
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004816:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:58 PM:name=Sharp-Shooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sharp-Shooter @ Nov 1 2012, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->he wants to improve graphical features after the game gets released which is from now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Turning down flashlight atmospherics is literally 20 seconds of work. Doing it right, with testing, maybe 5 minutes. So it seems like an active decision has been made in that case..
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    I don't understand the reasoning behind this "active" decision, considering it causes many many players to play without atmospherics which "solves" this problem.

It would be like if you could turn off spores by disabling something in the graphical options. Why have it be foggy in the first place?! I really don't get it and it makes me sad.

And why not make exos foggy as well then? -_-
  • Captain FunspongeCaptain Funsponge Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165511Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004816:date=Nov 1 2012, 05:58 PM:name=Sharp-Shooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sharp-Shooter @ Nov 1 2012, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The best thing that spark has going for it imo is the lighting first, textures second, when the lighting is done right i think its one of the best looking games and we all know UWE wants to improve not only performance but stated by cory "i think" he wants to improve graphical features after the game gets released which is from now.

personally i think it would be awesome once they improve the performance they can make the infestation cast its own shadows so it can block light sources to make some rooms even darker, or even better make powered rooms without a power node dark without having to break an equiped power node :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Absolutely agree, the lighting does a fantastic job of creating atmosphere. It's actually what caught my eye in the early footage, and a big reason why I'm here today.

Moving through an area of darkness with nothing but torches is intended to put the marines at a disadvantage, since the aliens essentially have night vision. It's part of your motivation to get the power up and push back infestation. It also allows aliens to setup ambushes, or engage marines in otherwise suicidal locations like tight corridors. If you make it easy for marines to operate in the dark, you dismiss that entire strategic level.
    <!--quoteo(post=2004836:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:13 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 1 2012, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand the reasoning behind this "active" decision, considering it causes many many players to play without atmospherics which "solves" this problem.

It would be like if you could turn off spores by disabling something in the graphical options. Why have it be foggy in the first place?! I really don't get it and it makes me sad.

And why not make exos foggy as well then? -_-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Spores not only is suppose to damage but hinder your vision if you are a marine, im sure its a design choice by the devs, and its a choice that i do enjoy.

lerks are very weak, just imagin if your flying by a base sporing everything, if marines can see you easily you may as well type kill in console, its there to help lerks survive and escape while in the heat of a fight
  • DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
    Yup, would be nice if that effect could be toned down a little.
    I have no problems with spores reducing visibility, that's a gameplay thing, it makes sense. But flashlights are supposed to improve vision, not hinder it. If you're at the end of a corridor and your whole team is shining their flashlights down it, all you see is white fog, when you should be seeing the corridor lit by flashlights.
    <!--quoteo(post=2004841:date=Nov 1 2012, 12:17 PM:name=Sharp-Shooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sharp-Shooter @ Nov 1 2012, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spores not only is suppose to damage but hinder your vision if you are a marine, im sure its a design choice by the devs, and its a choice that i do enjoy.

lerks are very weak, just imagin if your flying by a base sporing everything, if marines can see you easily you may as well type kill in console, its there to help lerks survive and escape while in the heat of a fight<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know, I'm just saying that if they insist on keeping the fog so much as a gameplay decision (maybe to discourage marines from using flashlights?), it doesn't make sense that there's effectively an option to turn it off in graph. settings.

If it's a core/gameplay decision, it has to be forced on the same way spores are.
  • MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
    just wanted to chime in. I've had my attention drawn to this in game innumerable times, and every time thought: man, that's unhelpful.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    All they have to do to fix this (for those it bothers... it does not bother me) is turn down the atmospheric density. It is probably at like .5 now and should be at .1 or something
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    I play with atmospherics off for just this reason. Exo headlights are fine, just need to make the flashlight use the same atmospherics settings.
    Why are flashlights atmospheric at all? Unless performance is a concern, they should all act as dynamic light sources...
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004977:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:48 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 1 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004977"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are flashlights atmospheric at all?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So skulks can see you comming?

<!--quoteo(post=2004977:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:48 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 1 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004977"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless performance is a concern, they should all act as dynamic light sources...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All lights in NS2 are dynamic, even the ones that don't move; there are no baked lightmaps.

Flashlights already <i>are</i> dynamic lights. Turning atmospherics on adds a cone of fog, it does not turn off the lights.
    <!--quoteo(post=2004986:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:54 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Nov 1 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So skulks can see you comming?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So skulks don't see light reflected by walls?
    Funny, it's impossible to see the dynamic lighting from anybody's flashlight but your own, because the cone of fog completely obscures it :P

So it's obvious that performance isn't a factor in this case, and the solution is simply to not have any atmospheric effect on flashlights at all. Or make it optional independent of the atmospheric setting.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004989:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:57 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 1 2012, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny, it's impossible to see the dynamic lighting from anybody's flashlight but your own, because the cone of fog completely obscures it :P

So it's obvious that performance isn't a factor in this case, and the solution is simply to not have any atmospheric effect on flashlights at all. Or make it optional independent of the atmospheric setting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The first person viewmodel for the flashlight does not have atmospherics at all. What?

Also aliens need the atmosphherics to see your light from around corners. They cannot just see the light reflecting off the walls... that is not how light works...
    <!--quoteo(post=2005005:date=Nov 1 2012, 09:04 PM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Nov 1 2012, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also aliens need the atmosphherics to see your light from around corners. They cannot just see the light reflecting off the walls... that is not how light works...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sarcasm...?
    <!--quoteo(post=2005005:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:04 PM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Nov 1 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The first person viewmodel for the flashlight does not have atmospherics at all. What?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right. And the flashlight of every other player does. If those flashlights are indeed casting a dynamic light, it's invisible behind the fog.

<!--quoteo(post=2005005:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:04 PM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Nov 1 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also aliens need the atmosphherics to see your light from around corners. They cannot just see the light reflecting off the walls... that is not how light works...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Errm, they certainly can see the light... Should not a circle of light moving around be a hint that something's up? Besides that, there are other means to identify the presence of marines. Sound, parasite, in NS1 you had SCs... I'll admit that those don't serve as a cost for using the flashlight (I get it that the point is supposed to be that using the flashlight helps you see, but it helps the enemy see you).

There's a simple solution to that problem, though: turn off foggy flashlights for marines, leave the fog for aliens. Marines can actually see, and aliens can see the cone of fog to spot marines.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004988:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:56 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Nov 1 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So skulks don't see light reflected by walls?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not as easily, no. You see a light on some wall and you have to infer where it is shining from.

There is no real time radiosity, so the light might be shining on that wall over there, but you will not see any reflected light if you're not looking directly at it. With the cone of fog it just screams "here I am, come eat me".
    <!--quoteo(post=2005027:date=Nov 1 2012, 09:12 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Nov 1 2012, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With the cone of fog it just screams "here I am, come eat me".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But that's what parasite is for. Why do skulks have to precisely recognize marines around corners? Isn't some reflected light enough awareness for an enemy?
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2005033:date=Nov 1 2012, 03:18 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Nov 1 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But that's what parasite is for. Why do skulks have to precisely recognize marines around corners? Isn't some reflected light enough awareness for an enemy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I told you what I think the fog is there for. Now you're trying to draw me to defend some point I don't even care about, ask UWE.