Attention: Aspiring marine chompers

elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I felt sooo guilty killing walker skulks over and over again last night, i had to make an updated beginner skulk movement video. Tried to keep this one short and focused on whats important.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9iTVrw02WCQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9iTVrw02WCQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Comments

• GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    hmm... doesn't work for me.

but key skills are, attack from walls and celings, don't walk on the ground, sitting and waiting is an okay strat!

if you don't want to fight marines, sneak behind them and kill their RTs. usually only 1 will come after you, and you may have some even battles. besides that, if nobody comes, you killed their RT which is incredibly important!
  • m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    learn to bunny hop. jump + strafe + slowly turn mouse direction opposite that which you jumped == impossible to shoot.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2003921:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:35 PM:name=m3lior)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m3lior @ Nov 1 2012, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->learn to bunny hop. jump + strafe + slowly turn mouse direction opposite that which you jumped == impossible to shoot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    there is no bunnyhop :).
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2012
    nice tutorial. one thing I find also helpful too is in some areas where you can chain lots of jumps is to look upward at a 45 degree angle, it launches you up in the air which gives you a little more time to travel from wall to wall.

edit: another helpful thing Agiel pointed out to me is that the more parallel you face to the wall, the better
  • shadershader Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13247Members
    edited October 2012
    No video for me either. White rectangle.

EDIT: use view source to get the link. Good tut.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2012
    <a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=9iTVrw02WCQ" target="_blank">http://youtube.com/watch?v=9iTVrw02WCQ</a>
    is the direct link
  • Brigand01Brigand01 Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165302Members
    You can't always use walls and ceilings, as its not always a good line of attack.
    Also eventually skulks just get outmoded and if you are one, you are flat out useless if you can't attack behind an Onos or go around them, everything one shots you.

idk what I'm doing wrong but I'm certainly trying my damndest to stay behind them and not attack from the floor, but if they so much as look at me funny I'm dead. This isn't fun or fair gameplay. Especially when it takes me a bunch of hits to kill a single marine later on.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2003901:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:09 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 1 2012, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I felt sooo guilty killing walker skulks over and over again last night, i had to make an updated beginner skulk movement video. Tried to keep this one short and focused on whats important.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9iTVrw02WCQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9iTVrw02WCQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shame on you lol go alien. Though i admit killing 5 marines as a lone skulk in the room made me feel guilty as well.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2003940:date=Oct 31 2012, 07:57 PM:name=Brigand01)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brigand01 @ Oct 31 2012, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't always use walls and ceilings, as its not always a good line of attack.
    Also eventually skulks just get outmoded and if you are one, you are flat out useless if you can't attack behind an Onos or go around them, everything one shots you.

idk what I'm doing wrong but I'm certainly trying my damndest to stay behind them and not attack from the floor, but if they so much as look at me funny I'm dead. This isn't fun or fair gameplay. Especially when it takes me a bunch of hits to kill a single marine later on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In my personal style of skulk play, there is no "line of attack", since a straight line always spells death. Rather I try to move unpredictably over every surface, since:

1. If you are with allies, the marines have to worry both about the one on the ground and the one on the ceiling.

2. I can wait for (newb) marines who don't use burst fire to empty their clips then drop down from the ceiling and catch them helpless

3. I can make a getaway should I decide that there are too many around.

So my first action upon meeting a marine head-on is to climb up a wall and vault if possible.

I only go in a straight line if I have silence or I'm sneaking up to someone.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    I would settle for having a toggle crosshair for aliens. after 20 years of gaming suddenly not having crosshair isnt really helping. it really just have to be a dot or something.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2003974:date=Oct 31 2012, 08:35 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Oct 31 2012, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003974"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would settle for having a toggle crosshair for aliens. after 20 years of gaming suddenly not having crosshair isnt really helping. it really just have to be a dot or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you can edit a crosshair in if you'd like, let me know /PM if you need help creating one. the default crosshairs.dds has spots for the alien bites except it leaves it blank.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Skulks haven't had crosshairs for 10 of those 20 years, and it seems to be working out decently :)

Seriously though, certain skills for certain aliens do have crosshairs; skulks have crosshairs for parasite, for example. I believe there are also some mods that add crosshairs?
  • m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    Well, that was a pretty awesome and informative video. That having been said, even without actual bunny hopping in the game, jumping and strafing as a skulk is still a pretty good idea when fighting marines, especially if there are no walls available.