Skulk Camera Orientation

SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Wouldn't it be cool if there was an option to have the camera orient to whatever wall or ceiling you are on? Like in that interesting Aliens vs. Predator game.

What do you think? I think it would be neat to have an option toggle in the settings menu for something like this, if it isn't too difficult of a task to create. I like having different orientations while running down corridors, 'cause it reminds me of Descent.

Comments

• RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    you mean you want it to be inverted when your running on the roof?.

It would be very confusing, im pretty sure it was like that at some point, and the way the levels are, it would be flipping all over the place lol.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This has been asked many, and I do mean many times before. It was tried in NS1 and resulted in lots of complaints about it being very disorientating, but as an extra option perhaps, well I liked it in AvP(2) so it would be fun to try again in NS2 (as an option/none-default)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2003862:date=Oct 31 2012, 06:29 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 31 2012, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has been asked many, and I do mean many times before. It was tried in NS1 and resulted in lots of complaints about it being very disorientating, but as an extra option perhaps, well I liked it in AvP(2) so it would be fun to try again in NS2 (as an option/none-default)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. As an option people can go with their personal choice, and boom everyone's happy.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    There would be no harm in having it as an option. thats one of the great things about good PC games, lots of options that people can tweak. If people want that view, i dont see why a toggle would hurt anyone.
  • PacraPacra Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165132Members
    I would kill to have optional view orientation for skulks, the way Dretches did in tremulous. It made it incredibly more intuitive to view and respond to an enemy or battle.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLYSpXTLNIk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLYSpXTLNIk</a>

I would find this, as would any tremulous/aliens vs predator gamers transitioning to ns2, a much better option of playing skulk.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004825:date=Nov 1 2012, 10:04 AM:name=Pacra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pacra @ Nov 1 2012, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would kill to have optional view orientation for skulks, the way Dretches did in tremulous. It made it incredibly more intuitive to view and respond to an enemy or battle.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLYSpXTLNIk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLYSpXTLNIk</a>

I would find this, as would any tremulous/aliens vs predator gamers transitioning to ns2, a much better option of playing skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup, that video you linked is almost exactly what I was talking about. It would make a great addition to NS2 in some future patch.
  • snailerisnaileri Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165480Members
    edited November 2012
    <b>Yes! Please do it! Do it now!</b>
    Of course, I'm sure not everyone would like it, but as a AVP2 veteran I would highly appreciate this as an optional feature.

Although, the game has already been released and I don't know how much effort the developers are still willing to put in to the game :/

EDIT:
    The actual wall-climbing mechanics would need to be changed since right now you climb by tapping spacebar, but it wouldn't work if the camera orientation changes every time you walk on to a different surface. In AVP2 the climbing was done by holding Ctrl and walking normally towards the wall.
  • SixPairsOfFeetSixPairsOfFeet Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146689Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    actually, wall climbing is done by walking at the wall. jumping with space just makes it faster.
  • nKulkurinKulkuri Join Date: 2012-10-25 Member: 163614Members
    The way AvP 2 handled wallclimbing was nearly perfect. Maybe we should not constantly compare AvP to NS but it seems to be the only game NS can be compared with.
    The way NS handles wallclimbing is understandable but confusing at the same time. I find adapting to this system very difficult. I cannot know what side of me is gripping and where. For example near ventilation pipes or other narrow space.
  • SynnroSynnro Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166234Members
    I signed up just to beg for this, haha.
    I was really confused by the lack of rotation because like nKulkuri said, you don't know which way you're orientated. It's not something that is needed but it could be a really cool (and handy), optional feature.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Well the problem is, this was easily done in games like tremoulus and avp, even the last avp, because those games had all very simple walls and ceilings.

Ns2 is rather complex there... (so there would be a lot of edge cases where it might spaz out)

Wonder if they could use the more simple occulusion geometry as a reference of orientation to make it work. (tho im not a programmer :D)
    Pretty sure the alternative,making mappers place invisible simple walls in front of complex geometry is not an option - way too much work for a optional feature.

Or maybe its done different than i think it would - feel free to ignore this crap then :P
    Koruyo,

Most likely new geometry is not needed, as the Skulk's <u>3rd person model</u> already rotates correctly when climbing walls. This shows that they already have an algorithm to avoid the model's orientation from being disrupted by tiny geometry shapes in the environment mesh.
  • SuecoSueco Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166309Members
    Agree! This should be toggle option. I personally would use it.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    I haven't tested this myself, but taking a look on the wiki provided me with this little command.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Console_Commands#Render_Options" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...#Render_Options</a>

Or, more specifically:

"skulk_view_tilt - true/false - true - Toggle view tilting while on non-horizontal geometry as a skulk"

It could be outdated information, but if you want to try it out, go right on ahead.
  • SwiftSwift Lost Keys Join Date: 2005-02-19 Member: 41683Members, Constellation
    That command adds a slight tilt to the skulks view when he's on a wall or ceiling. He'll 'lean' away from the wall he is on gradually
  • MadrawnMadrawn Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166535Members
    Hey, I want this too. And I've got a reason: I lose a axis for movement when walking on the wall. If I'm on for e.g. on the right wall in a tunnel I can move forward and backward but not up and down, because there's no key for upward movement. If I want to move up or down I have to look up or down. This really annoys me.

Also I think it somehow breaks immersion when I 'slide' around with my back glued to the roof, at least that's how it feels for me.
    <!--quoteo(post=2008158:date=Nov 3 2012, 04:51 PM:name=ChaosXBeing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChaosXBeing @ Nov 3 2012, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't tested this myself, but taking a look on the wiki provided me with this little command.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Console_Commands#Render_Options" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...#Render_Options</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bah, <i>"Default: True"</i> so no point in testing it.

<!--quoteo(post=2008681:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:27 AM:name=Madrawn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Madrawn @ Nov 4 2012, 12:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also I think it somehow breaks immersion when I 'slide' around with my back glued to the roof, at least that's how it feels for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And while you move forward on the ceiling, you have to keep the camera parallel to the ceiling and can't look down, as otherwise the skulk falls off the ceiling. AVP2 handled this much better by having a seperate button for locking the Alien to the surfaces, so looking around even while moving wouldn't make you fall.
  • SgtThompsonSgtThompson Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36340Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009313:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:50 AM:name=snaileri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snaileri @ Nov 4 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And while you move forward on the ceiling, you have to keep the camera parallel to the ceiling and can't look down, as otherwise the skulk falls off the ceiling. AVP2 handled this much better by having a seperate button for locking the Alien to the surfaces, so looking around even while moving wouldn't make you fall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is the biggest problem with the skulk and even the lurk at the moment. I feel nervous that I'm going to lose grip with either one when I'm trying to cling to the wall. It would be better if they split up the controls with Shift/Ctrl commands for different actions.
  • CyanisticCyanistic Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166793Members
    I'm all for this idea so long as it isn't enabled on default and is allowed to be toggled on via the options.

Really there's not really any buff to such a thing.
    If it is a buff then it's no different then say turning your graphics down to increase your fps.
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    I registered here entirely to post in this thread.

I personally believe that while the current wall walking might somehow be better for people who get motion sickness easily, it is inferior in terms of character control and immersion.

I find myself having trouble moving on the walls like I want to, I can't strafe when I'm wall walking, I can only move forward and backwards, this makes it very difficult to move fluidly, and dodge enemy fire (and even if you improve it will never be as good as being able to strafe). The lack of a 'hold key' to wall-walk combined with a lack of orientation indicator and view inversion leads to my falling off the walls fairly often when it is not my intention. As has been mentioned, it is even more difficult to walk on ceilings. After adjusting to the look inversion in AvP2 (2001), I never had these problems. I felt like I was in control of my character rather than having to battle a clunky interface.

Honestly, the current wall walking mechanics completely ruin the skulk for me. I know some people might get motion sickness from look inversion, and some people might not like the learning curve involved (due to look inversion), however in terms of maximizing character control, capabilities, and immersion, it is imperative that an option for an "AvP2-like" wall walking scheme is added.

Thanks much
  • ZarX88ZarX88 Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70475Members
    Yes please for the love of god.. so I can play skulk properly...
  • herb6044herb6044 Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147992Members
    This is a much needed option. As an AvP2 veteran that loved the interface and movement controls of the Aliens, the Skulk is extremely disappointing and awkward to control. I feel like I have no control over my character, as often I will fall off of surfaces I meant to stay on simply because when I ran around the corner I was still looking forward, whereas normally I would have wrapped around the surface and continued forward if it was in AvP. This needs to be an option.
  • WadelmaWadelma Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166488Members
    I too would love this to be brought into the game as an option.
    It feels like you would fall off the wall any time at the moment in my opinion, not to mention the awkward feel of having your back sticking to the wall instead of your legs (which it isn't for 3rd person view obviously). Breaks the immersion too much imo
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Well, I can understand if the developers don't want to spend time and resources adding an option to change the camera orientation, however, there badly needs to be an option to hold a key to stick to the walls. Not being able to walk sideways on walls or look down when running on a ceiling is extremely annoying and disappointing.
  • TungInCheekTungInCheek Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168270Members
    I find myself running on the ground a lot as Skulk, because wall-running is slow, clunky, confusing, and awkward. Please add an option to make wall-running like in NS1. Thank you.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013181:date=Nov 6 2012, 04:36 PM:name=das0308)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (das0308 @ Nov 6 2012, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I can understand if the developers don't want to spend time and resources adding an option to change the camera orientation, however, there badly needs to be an option to hold a key to stick to the walls. Not being able to walk sideways on walls or look down when running on a ceiling is extremely annoying and disappointing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hold shift?