Where do I fit in

fr8ofr8o Join Date: 2003-11-09 Member: 22411Members
I played NS1 forever averaged 50 hours a week, but almost exclusively as a gorge as honestly I suck at fps games. I can't hit the broad side of a onos with a gun and can't seem to track moving targets with skulk bites (always end up behind me and I die before I can find them again). I pre-ordered then never got around to trying the beta, tried it today and... I could not build anything! Read up on it and realized as a gorge I am no longer able to go around using my time and resources to get nodes for the teams, set up healing stations in corners and vents... as a 100% non-combatant through lack of skill and desire where do I fall now? My beloved position as a gorge builder seems gone in this game.

Comments

• bHackbHack Join Date: 2010-03-23 Member: 71059Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003386:date=Oct 31 2012, 08:52 PM:name=fr8o)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fr8o @ Oct 31 2012, 08:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played NS1 forever averaged 50 hours a week, but almost exclusively as a gorge as honestly I suck at fps games. I can't hit the broad side of a onos with a gun and can't seem to track moving targets with skulk bites (always end up behind me and I die before I can find them again). I pre-ordered then never got around to trying the beta, tried it today and... I could not build anything! Read up on it and realized as a gorge I am no longer able to go around using my time and resources to get nodes for the teams, set up healing stations in corners and vents... as a 100% non-combatant through lack of skill and desire where do I fall now? My beloved position as a gorge builder seems gone in this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you want to 'build' stuff, you have to be alien's CC now.
    Gorges are not primary builders any more that's true =(
    You could go out as a skulk and bite RT's as well... That is helpful.
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    edited October 2012
    as bHack already mentioned, playing the alien commander might suit you quite well.

It is not as fast-paced as the marine comm, its forgiving in timing and choosing different upgrade paths, and has your beloved building part (obvious, isn't it?) which was the gorgies strength before.

Of course you should still get leap upgrade up in time and a few other things, but it is easy to learn and might help you enjoy ns2 as much as you liked ns1!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Worst case scenario you'll have to play the NS2 Classic mod which recreates NS 1 on NS2 for all your gorging needs. That is until they add more stuff to the gorge in NS2, which they did promise they would do.
  • enhaxedenhaxed Join Date: 2011-01-03 Member: 76135Members
    edited November 2012
    I loved playing gorge in NS1 and hope the devs do give them some love soon.

Only being able to build 3 hydras (and 10 clogs ofc) is too limited in my opinion, my suggestion would be that once the alien commander has chosen the hive type (shade, shift or crag) the gorges should be able to build these chambers as well and the only limit should be personal resources as in NS1. As I understand it a lot of offensive chambers being built during a game can cause problems with the server load so it's a change that will probably have to wait until they have done more optimisation.

Bring back the Shack!!1!
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    I definitely agree with ya. Once the commander has chosen the hive type, I don't know why the gorge can't create those buildings.