No server list

DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Post here if you are having list problems</div>I lose the list of servers if I refresh the list. Sometimes, I get no server list at all.

I can't seem to find a reason why the server browser does this.

When it works, I get a lot of servers.

It's not the filters, or my firewall. I thought it might have something to do with the steam cloud sync, but disabling that doesn't fix it.

Also, once the list disappears, I have no reliable way to get it back. even if I exit steam and relog it is totally random if I get a server list or not.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Comments

• DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    I forget, what were those files you could delete and have steam re download to fix a lot of issues. ClientRegistry.blob or something like that?

EDIT: Tried re downloading ClientRegistry.blob, didn't fix the issue.

It seems like I only get 2 refreshes including the initial one and then it goes blank.

Is the master server list set to time out your refreshes after the first 2?
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    Happening to me as well. I have to restart the game 2 or 3 times before I get a list.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem is, it takes me more than 2 refreshes to find a server that doesn't come up as full and that has a decent ping.....
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    thats a different problem. I thought we were talking about there being no servers.
    We ARE talking about the no server bug.

What I meant was, in my case, when the server list does work, I lose the server list before I can to connect to a server.

Sometimes there is no server list at initial start up at all, just like you have.
  • GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
    edited October 2012
    This is a steam master server list issue, not an NS2 issue. The steam master servers go down from time to time.

This is not a bug in NS2
    <!--quoteo(post=2003130:date=Oct 31 2012, 02:48 PM:name=Garfu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Garfu @ Oct 31 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a steam master server list issue, not an NS2 issue. The steam master servers go down from time to time.

This is not a bug in NS2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This happens everytime I try to play the game, it's not "From time to time" . If it was just an occasional issue you might be right.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    had his issue this morning but when I unchecked "filter modded servers" everything popped up.
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    I have seen this as well but it only tends to leave out a few servers. I have hit refresh a few times and it still didnt come up. Then I close the game, come back and then all the servers popped up. So there is an issue.

It was one of our servers that would not show up once in a while but it was full of people so I knew it was online.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The server browser has always been spotty, but unfortunately it's not in UWE's hands. It depends on Valve/steam to work, and they have no control over that. Today it was down for over and hour+.

A good solution when the ingame browser is being difficult is to use<a href="http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/" target="_blank"> Nanogrid</a> web-based browser.
  • BrawlinBoxerx32BrawlinBoxerx32 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164750Members
    Yeah i am having the same problem i have no servers showing up at all. I am playing the game through a website that was given to me by a member of this forum.

The website is called NANO GRID THE NS2 WEB- BASED SERVER BROWSER allow the website load all the way, most of the games on the top half are from the UK Germany etc.

Scroll down to the middle of the page and the USA servers will be there hope this help happy gaming :o
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    Same problem here, third click on refresh and list goes blank. I'll try unchecking the modding button.
    Tried unchecking Modded server filter. Did not help. Still going blank after 1 refresh and initial run.

That website is great and all, but it doesn't show ping times. Or did I miss that somewhere?
  • LokenLoken Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165513Members
    Hey,

i have the excat same issue. Also it seams that my whole internet connection suffers after i had that issue with the server browser. Couln´t play a single game since 1.0. This internet connection block/issue only happens if i try to play NS2. Does my ISP think that iam involved in some kind of DDos and blocks me for like 2-5 mins after querying the master server for a server list?
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2003744:date=Nov 1 2012, 09:01 AM:name=Dogbite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dogbite @ Nov 1 2012, 09:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tried unchecking Modded server filter. Did not help. Still going blank after 1 refresh and initial run.

That website is great and all, but it doesn't show ping times. Or did I miss that somewhere?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It can't show the ping times from your machine because the ping times that it will show (if it does) is from the server of the website instead of your system.
  • xStahlxStahl Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165212Members
    I'm having the same problem.
  • JemmeJemme Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21698Members
    edited November 2012
    You might wanna check that your Ping isnt accidently set to 0. I read some people having experienced this happening to them where it was 0 somehow.
  • ch0pstixch0pstix Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159863Members
    I'm having this problem too. But it only occurs after I attempt to connect to a server that is on the list and get an error that says:

"Couldn't establish a connection to the server"

Then I have to restart my Steam to see the list again. This didn't really occur during beta so I'm not sure what's going on. This bug is certainly annoying
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Server lists when it feels like it, when I do I get cannot connect.

When I make a server it says Authentication Error.

When I go Explore it breaks.
  • KrustyKroganKrustyKrogan Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165405Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I've had a 0 servers list problem since day one... tried everything I could think of, then found this post:

<a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=0'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122901</a>

"Hi,

You need to open this file:

<drive>\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\4920\remote\options.xml"

I had some strange text in <filter_gamemode></filter_gamemode> like %@x16% - Set it to blank. Immediate fix!

Maybe something else is wrong with your options.xml?
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2006193:date=Nov 2 2012, 12:09 PM:name=KrustyKrogan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KrustyKrogan @ Nov 2 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've had a 0 servers list problem since day one... tried everything I could think of, then found this post:

<a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=0'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122901</a>

"Hi,

You need to open this file:

<drive>\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\4920\remote\options.xml"

I had some strange text in <filter_gamemode></filter_gamemode> like %@x16% - Set it to blank. Immediate fix!

Maybe something else is wrong with your options.xml?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the tip!
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    If you cannot use in game browser, please use this website in the meantime which allows you to browse and connect to servers:

<a href="http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/" target="_blank">http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/</a>
  • AnammoxAnammox Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184597Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited May 2013
    Build 246 just came out and now servers to not appear in the box.
    Tried:
    Restarting Steam/computer
    Deleting NS2 and redownloading it
    Verify cache files
    Deleting this <filter_gamemode></filter_gamemode> (did not find strange text)
    Can not join via nano grid or by trying to connect to a server with a friend in it: get the "attempting connection" error, no connection could be made yada yada yada.

Getting very pissed off.

PS: of course i tried maxing the ping filter, tweaking the performance filter, and clicking off the filter boxes (i.e.; rookie server, etc)
  • GeezerGeezer Join Date: 2004-09-28 Member: 31976Members
    I have the same problem as Anammox; though I played Build 264 yesterday, and today it's simply not loading any servers in the Server List.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    Probably Weekly Valve/Steam/Master Serverlist Maintenance ;)
  • GeezerGeezer Join Date: 2004-09-28 Member: 31976Members
    Yeah, it seems to have self-repaired. Cheers Kouji. Never had that happen before, so I assumed that it must have been an error. All good!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Geezer wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems to have self-repaired. Cheers Kouji. Never had that happen before, so I assumed that it must have been an error. All good!
    It usually happens around Tuesday or Wednesday each week, something to keep in mind.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I had the same issue yesterday, it certainly seemed like a Steam thing.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    yes, tuesday is always steam update day. for me its usually around 19-20 CET :)
  • AnammoxAnammox Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184597Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    so if this is not an NS2 bug and a master server issue how can it be fixed? I can see that for some people this problem fixed itself and many of my friends aren't having this issue. It's been 3 days now and the servers still aren't showing up :/