Sound (Post 1.0)

LastdonLastdon Join Date: 2012-06-29 Member: 153767Members
I know this will not be looked into till post 1.0, but I would like to create a discussion on the in game sound. Just for acknowledgement I do not use a headset. I use a premium speaker setup.

- It is extremely difficult to distinguish on either side if a enemy is approaching your current location or moving away.

- Alien footsteps sound very similar to marines.

- Occasionally it sounds like aliens are chomping on the powernode right next to me when in fact it is a powernode in the next room.

- Certain classes do not have away to limit their sound output (Onos, Fade, Gorge, Marine with out crouching)

- Specific class sounds. Laughs, taunts, ex....

I feel as if UWE needs to spend a good amount of time (Hire a sound guy) in overhauling the games sound. A majority of the sounds have just been pulled from NS1. UWE has made sounds a key tactic for game play ( Silence).

IF you have any other ideas and possible improvements on in game sound please post them.

Comments

• era0era0 Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156701Members
    - option to set which sound device the game will use.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    - option to turn off directional sound that is currently implemented
    Doesn't work with my headset, because i only have 2 sound devices, its only playing 1 direction per headpiece.
    So that means, i can only hear one way.
    QUite lame, please fix.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    I don't quite get the "Alien footsteps sound very similar to marines" bit, in which way are they similar? They sound completely different for me...

I do agree the sound position system is still weird even with quality headphones it is a bit iffy to exactly pinpoint the vectors, unlike good old goldSRC :P

On the subject of more sounds, it's being worked on currently :)
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    alien footsteps do not sound similar to marines... i hope your not using beats by dre headphones
  • LastdonLastdon Join Date: 2012-06-29 Member: 153767Members
    - Sound adjustments, such as micphone volume and different bars for different type of sounds. Music, Warnings, Requests while commanding.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2000401:date=Oct 30 2012, 04:31 AM:name=Lastdon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lastdon @ Oct 30 2012, 04:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000401"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel as if UWE needs to spend a good amount of time (Hire a sound guy) in overhauling the games sound. A majority of the sounds have just been pulled from NS1. UWE has made sounds a key tactic for game play ( Silence).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just wanted to answer on that because it really doesn't do justice to Simon (the "sound guy"). Simon does an amazing job and i can assure you that most sounds are not from NS1. For me the ns2 sound problems have more to do with mixing (loudness etc) than the sound themselves
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Simon knows about he sound problems now he's fixing it up