85 pres gorge makes me sad

maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Better to die then to save</div>I see players in long games with 80-100 res and it makes me so sad... that's an onos that could be fielded.... The current overflow is not nearly as helpful as having 1 more onos(even a terrible onos).

I don't know why some players are afraid to spend their res but its not doing anything if they don't and that is a bigger waist then losing an onos. The only reason I can think of is that they are afraid to disappoint their team.

In conclusion I think we need to encourage players to try lifeforms out and get less angry when they lose a onos. (As long as they don't lose the com drop onos)

Res lost by death is better then res never spent

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    I personally don't enjoy playing onos of fade since the onos is really only good for seiging and fade has been changed so he can barely take out 1 marine. lerk and skulk are my prefered life forms ( if we are being pressured though I will change to gorge because hes adorable )
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't mind 80 p.res gorges, as long as they're good and helping the team. A good gorge can hold back an exo or arcs by working with other life forms. What I don't like is people who go gorge, gorge up some place, make a little fort and just sit there when they could be more useful somewhere else... and then you go in front of them and they don't even heal you :-/ .

If you think the current situation is bad though, just wait until Wednesday... It'll take quite some time for the new people to learn how to get and push an advantage over the other team.
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Certainly would be nice if you could donate Pres to the team, I've been in a position before where I've been Gorge and had enough to go fade but I don't want to let my team down, man!
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1999916:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:39 PM:name={LoC}Blue_Leader)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({LoC}Blue_Leader @ Oct 29 2012, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Certainly would be nice if you could donate Pres to the team, I've been in a position before where I've been Gorge and had enough to go fade but I don't want to let my team down, man!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what I'm getting at, if you have 60 res you can fade die and gorge again, but at least for a few minutes you pushed back and got practice.

Also not sure if everyone realizes that hydras and clogs are perminant until destroyed, so if you fade your hydras and clogs will still be their
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1999916:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:39 PM:name={LoC}Blue_Leader)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({LoC}Blue_Leader @ Oct 29 2012, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Certainly would be nice if you could donate Pres to the team, I've been in a position before where I've been Gorge and had enough to go fade but I don't want to let my team down, man!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1. Start a game.
    2. Immediately donate all the pres to 2 or 3 players (depending on amount of players on the server).
    3. Get 2/3 onos.
    4. ???
    5. Profit.
  • VivalaHellVivalaHell Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161456Members
    If you would reach over a hundred your income gets split to other people. Maybe let people change that to their own liking via console. The Team Gorge could limit his res to 20 or whatever and let the rest be split to his team. Just an idea I came up with on the fly and if this is possible is a different story
    <!--quoteo(post=1999923:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:45 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Oct 29 2012, 05:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Start a game.
    2. Immediately donate all the pres to 2 or 3 players (depending on amount of players on the server).
    3. Get 2/3 onos.
    4. ???
    5. Profit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok /giveres is obviously a bad idea but what about give lerk to an egg.... Or give fade to an egg .... That way res dosnt stack but if someone just wants to be gorge all game he dosnt waist 50-100 res
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Sounds like Gorge need more things to spend his PRes on.

His building options will probably be expanded on post-release, so maybe tweak the Evolution system a bit to allow swapping upgrades (without changing lifeforms): pay 1-2 PRes to switch evolutions in a full slot?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yea gorge needs some more structures, and the hydra cap could really go up tbh. Or the hydras should have their base damage beefed a little bit. (Maybe with maturity they should become somewhat stronger, so they actually scale somewhat throughout the game)
  • Dr_Cox1911Dr_Cox1911 Join Date: 2011-04-25 Member: 95575Members
    I´m one of the "wasting" gorges (is that the right plural?). Some might have played with me and maybe saw me playing with other lifeforms really badly. That´s why I go gorge. As gorge I can still contribute to the game and in my opinion I´m not the worst gorge in the world.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    I have no issues with a GOOD gorge playing his/her support role and backing up higher lifeforms. From what I have seen gorge support can make or break a hard match. The amount of res being carried around is irrelevant.

With that said, I would prefer that the gorge be allowed to build more hydra at a higher cost. I don't think I have more than 3-5 kills with hydra, and I play gorge A LOT.
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    You can already swap out upgrades thats what hyper lets you do but they have taken it out as of just now (better be in for 1.0)
    I'm not saying you should not be gorge, I'm saying if you onos and are terrible and die its ok... Currently there is no way to share res, so if you don't spend it it won't get spent. This is not ns1 where you as an individual can save for a hive or a forward base, right now after you drop 3 hydras your done. So keep 10 pres in reserve to go gorge again but cut loose and go fade lerk or onos, your not hurting anyone else.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Battlegorge.

Battlegorge, battlegorge, battlegorge.

BATTLEGORGE!!!

Seriously, just follow those damn skulks and healspray the marine they're attacking. Skulks get healed while you get healed while marine gets damaged - it's AWESOME! Can be hard sometimes, when Skulks are too impatient to wait for your fat behind, and go get themselves killed. Gorge should infact go in FIRST, take a few bullets, then have the skulks go in. Especially with cara, you can tank an entire clip, then it's a marine with an empty clip vs. skulks.

So yeah. Just battlegorge more and you can get great results + use some of that "wasted" res.

8/0 as gorge! pwn!
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    There is overflow, so if there is a gorge with max pres it'll overflow to the rest fo the team. Ideally the whole team should be at 100 most of the time but that would mean people don't go on suicide missions.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think part of the problem is Gorges putting their Hydras in ultra safe places that are never at risk of dying because they never see any action. But yeah they definitely need more res sinks, you should be able to perma-Gorge without putting any of your res to waste.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I also want more Hydras, current meta requires Gorges to use thier Hydras to defend hive Harvestors , and often need to use up most of the clogs to slow down res sniping.

I rarely see a chance to build in a forward position... and with the current Hydras, they wouldnt do much good anyways.

I would say get 6 / hive ... but keep them as they are, however add a upgrade mechanic at the cost of more res and a Hydra that allows the Gorge to make a much stronger and harder hitting Hydra (if its feasable make it have more heads... hell have 1 single headed Hydra, then a 2 headed one, then a 3 headed one...3 upgrades).
    The Gorge can elect to have lots of weaker little Hydras to discourage <b>solo</b> marine res / upgrade sniping ... or upgrade them 3 2headed one or 1 3 headed hydra / Hive.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited October 2012
    Allowing gorge to build cysts / harvesters / whips / hive(?) / chambers(non upgrade like shift/shade/crag!) = problem solved?
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Honestly I'd like it if there was more to spend res on as a gorge as well, but that's perhaps because I played NS1 and had tons of things to build. It was actually kind of a shock to play NS2, since the gorge is essentially a proxy of the alien commander to speed up building. There are obviously other things the gorge does, but those Hydra's are pretty useless 9/10 times. I think the limit to 3 hydra's issue is pretty much what leads to ARC turrets never being used. Well, that and mech's that do the job better. It would be nice if I could build things the commander has already researched, such as whips and res towers. (Of course, a gorge should not be able to build upgrades since it could cause griefing and split the command role too much.) I doubt it'll happen, but unless you're a battle gorge with some good skulks you end up feeling pretty useless until Bile Bomb.

On the split side of that, I think marines should be able to drop Batteries as well (Perhaps 35-40 p.res?) since a skulk with carapace can probably take the stupid thing down in a heartbeat. Mines are pretty nifty, don't get me wrong, but they seem to not kill skulks let alone higher lifeforms. I've seen a skulk run over all three of my mines, and had all three explode behind the skulk doing no damage. Pretty stupid for 15 spent res on literally three 'shots' that do nothing unless the skulk stops on top of the f'ing mine.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2000002:date=Oct 29 2012, 01:00 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Oct 29 2012, 01:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Allowing gorge to build cysts / harvesters / whips / hive(?) / chambers(non upgrade like shift/shade/crag!) = problem solved?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I support this idea minus the shifts. Can't think of any negative draws to the team letting a gorge build any of those chambers, although it might make the role of commanding less important. A shift though should be left to the commander's discretion.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Overlapping structures between comms and gorges just doesn't work, we tried it in the past and it only serves to 'deepen' the gorge experience at the expensive of making the commander one more shallow. Not to mention it would effectively take control away from the alien commander.

Surely we can start by just making him a proper combat engineer, and giving him some more abilities like webs.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    What I also notice from Aliens is many don't take advantage of going gorge just to plant hydras. Every alien can plant 3 hydras to help the team and NO ONE does it. Only one gorge or two. It doesn't make sense to me, if every alien would go plant 3 hydras what a difference that would make. But, I don't think that is going to change any time soon.
    edited October 2012
    It costs 21 p.res to do so, that's not exactly insignificant. The commander should ALWAYS gorge and drop his hydras though, there's no reason not to as a commander. He can also use his clogs to cover up upgrade structures.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    gorging is the most fun! make a little clog base with hydras PEWPEW --- then just be a portable med-machine !
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=2000123:date=Oct 30 2012, 07:23 AM:name=Zefram)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zefram @ Oct 30 2012, 07:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I support this idea minus the shifts. Can't think of any negative draws to the team letting a gorge build any of those chambers, although it might make the role of commanding less important. A shift though should be left to the commander's discretion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ACtually i find that bit the most tedious, you'd be amazed how many times i forget to do it, would be nice if a basegorge could do it for me :3
    Gorge needs a third buildmenu!
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    If you want a res sink for Gorges, I think the most obvious is... dropping eggs. <i>Lifeform</i> eggs. Or maybe just upgrading existing eggs (they used to be able to do this when eggs used pres by taking over as Khamm for a sec). Take that away from the Khamm and give them something else as a res sink (if there weren't egg drops, maybe more Khamms would spend more res on forward bases throughout the game... and use the chamber abilities).
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    A good gorge is better than a dead onos. I agree with others there needs to be more uses in spending for gorges as well.

I must say that I am very sad at the way Gorges are going coming from NS1, gorges were supposed to be both support and build defensive positions. Currently being a full time gorge is near pointless as the structure limit is extremely minimal, if anything the limit should have been like it was in ns1 where the number of structures was capped at certain distance. The limit needs to go up, not everyone will gorge to build their 3 hydras, it needs to be set to distance restrictions again like in ns1 - 5-8 in an area of X distance, not each player.

It would be good if gorges got their support title back in building too, I am sure a comm doesn't have as much time to focus on tactical defensive positions as a gorge does, and a gorge would be able to provide a better defensive outpost as they can observe the area and its weaknesses much better, they are able to build on walls etc too, something the comm cannot. The best fun I had was being able to create defensive points in the map as a gorge that would end up as the kharaa hub for heals etc. At minimum it would be good to see a single gorge be able to build more than 3 hydras and be able to build crags or even the whips, I do not see comms dropping whips often.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    I do feel that the gorge needs a third structure, possibly something researched on 3rd hive after bilebomb.

What is structure is? I could not say.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    All non-upgrade chambers should be buildable by the gorge. The khamm is always sjort on res and its not exactly a full time job as is. Crags shifts and shades are underused.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited October 2012
    I like the idea of making the cost of additional hydras grow exponentially. For example: 4th hydra 7*1.5= 10.5, 5th hydra=7*1.5^2=15,75, 6th hydra=23,6. If gorges have to spend >20 res for a hydra, that will prevent spamming just fine imho.