Onos ability suggestion: frontal aoe attack as seen in Exosuit trailer

IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
The Onos pulls back its head to one side and with the help of a shake from its powerful shoulders releases a brutal arcing smash, knocking marines back and causing them to:

1. Drop their primary weapons (LOL)
2. Aim wonky for a few secs
3. Lose the ability to fire for a few seconds
4. Be stunned as in Stomp

Any of these options and more; depending on what's workable and balanced.

It will do less damage than gore but have an Area of Effect in a wide horizontal arc in front of you, perfect for swarms of marines dancing around you.

It should also have a cool name: Thrash

v.tr.
1. To beat with or as if with a flail, especially as a punishment

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Sounds like stomp as in stomp.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    doesnt stomp send out a shockwave that stuns ala NS1? It's always been my impression that stomp is more of a defensive/novelty ability: you either use it to deny marines coming down a corridor or you use it when you've already won to toy with your food.

I'm thinking of a more intense multiple-target combat relevant thing here. You know when you rush into the marine base and they beacon and suddenly you're surrounded by dudes dancing around? Well instead of having to use Gore which is single target and hits slowly, I'm talking about a trade off where you can basically hit everyone on your screen, knock'em back and possibly apply a disorienting effect, and then either retreat or continue wrecking havoc.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited October 2012
    Onos leap would be entertaining, but I think ultimately impractical since it would eclipse stomp

Something that spreads infestation would be much more interesting as Onos usually become the new front line for alien team

Gorge needs a 3rd ability too <i>(I'm hoping for an alien trap like marine's #4)</i>

<i>Maybe exploding clogs? Can you say claymore?</i>

-
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have you seen an elephant jump? Something that heavy can't really "leap".
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No more skill-less and annoying abilities please.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There was talk of a bone shield ability for the onos some time ago, and i think this would be much better.

The onos already deadly enough and feels mobile enough for what it is. A bone shield to absorb damage from the front would be unique and usefull.

IMO stomp should be tier 2, and bone shield should be tier 3, to keep both usefull at the various stages of the game
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997857:date=Oct 26 2012, 09:58 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Oct 26 2012, 09:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There was talk of a bone shield ability for the onos some time ago, and i think this would be much better.

The onos already deadly enough and feels mobile enough for what it is. A bone shield to absorb damage from the front would be unique and usefull.

<b>IMO stomp should be tier 2, and bone shield should be tier 3,</b> to keep both usefull at the various stages of the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. Stomp is useless by time tier 3 appears since everyone is in exo or flying on a jp.

Bone shield implementation would require onos health nerf to compensate.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997752:date=Oct 26 2012, 01:55 PM:name=Idleray)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Idleray @ Oct 26 2012, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you seen an elephant jump? Something that heavy can't really "leap".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The onos does leap. If you stomp while running it plays a leaping animation.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Onos already has an AOE attack, it doesnt need another.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys guys I got it. Lets give onos bile spikes. Spikes that spash acid. They would shoot off his back like a porcupine! YES!!