Marine LMG spread

napalm_9napalm_9 Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157768Members
edited October 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi!

Forgive me if this has been thrashed to death elsewhere, but while there is plenty of discussion around the spread of the shotgun and lerk's spikes, there seems to be none on the spread of the marines LMG.

To me, it feels like every bullet that spits out a marine's LMG travels in a dead straight line until it hits something, is this true? or do they have a small amount of spread applied to them?

With the recent concern about alien weakness, my idea is to maybe introduce a small amount of spread so that marines are less effective at long range, giving alien life forms more survivability at long range until they can maneuver into close range at an optimal time.

This would set the ideal range of contact for a marine to be mid range as their accuracy would be on par with what it is now, while being at less risk if they in close range but at more risk than if they were in long range (giving aliens a slight advantage).

Thoughts?

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    Don't worry. Rifles do have a small spread (4º), which roughly translates to 0.7 meter radius spread at 10 meter distance.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Yeah they have minor spread. NS2 isn't counter strike in that you need to control recoil and aim for headshots - the targets are far harder to hit anyway and come at unusual angles (aiming left-right is far easier than up-down).

The encouragement to conserve ammo is that you need to reload while a skulk is chomping on your feet.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you guys havent noticed the thread in the modding forums regarding spread, you should. The NS2 spread system by default is extremely biased towards the center, the lmg's effective spread may very well be closer to 2 degrees.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The lack of spread in most weapons is one of the most appealing parts of NS2 for me.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    It worked well in NS1.

It works well in NS2.

Leave it how it is.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1997941:date=Oct 26 2012, 01:17 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Oct 26 2012, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The NS2 spread system by default is extremely biased towards the center, the lmg's effective spread may very well be closer to 2 degrees.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's just a 2D gaussian with 2 degrees standard deviation isn't it?