First time launch on windows 8

KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited October 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">Suggestion for UWE</div>UWE might want to make sure that the game installs directx etc. the first time you launch.

Just made a fresh install of windows 8 and ofc blackness. (only saw the menu cursor, and all the devtools had errors, instantly crashed or also showed nothing - even the debug report crashed :P)

Im used to ns2 and know the troubleshoot routine.

- clear %appdata% ns2 cache
- check integrity
- check redist folder (dx, physx)
- download up to date versions of dx or physx/download up to date graphics driver
- check graphic driver options
- make flame post

And ofc after i installed the directx from the redist folder (which had a popup that wanted me to install some c++ redistributables and whatnot, which i also did) it worked fine.

But for somebody that doesnt know that... very frustrating. (has to google, maybe find this forum, maybe not, maybe has to make an account...)
Would be easily avoidable i guess.

Comments

• A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    It's the same on a clean Windows 7 install actually. The install doesn't include DirectX 9 or at least not the numerous patches and extensions that were released in ~2005-2009. All recent DirectX 9 games require some or all of them and that's why most Steam games run those DX installers on first run and every game comes with that 100MB "redist" folder. I don't even want to know their reasoning for not including them in W7/W8 by default.

Of course DirectX 9 is obsolete stuff and no new game should even be using it. ;)

But yeah that's a good catch since there might be quite a few players running the game on brand new Windows 8 machines soon. I assume it's just a switch that needs to be flipped for the first run.