Lerk feels reeaally strong

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Overpowered or just a long time coming?</div>So I haven't played many games, and this is in no way a definitive statement, more just speculation, but...

Does the Lerk feel really damn potent now? I mean like crazy strong. A few builds ago I was complaining that the Lerk kills marines way too slowly, much slower than skulks even. Now, in the last 3 games I've played as aliens, I've gone Lerk as soon as I hit 30 res, upgrades or not, it really didn't matter. And the marines fell like flies, like 4-5 kills a minute kinda thing, as long as the marine supply held up.

I know its lame to complain that its underpowered one moment, then complain that its too powerful the next, but it is what it is. I'm really enjoying the Lerk now, but maybe its just because its so potent. One thing I really like is how viable the combination of spikes and bite is, rather than just using one or the other. Due to the increases accuracy it really is beneficial to do a strafe of spikes just before landing a bite. Furthermore, and correct me if I'm wrong, but does a glancing bite from the Lerk still do maximum poison damage (does the lerk bite still do poison damage at all)? If it does, then that by itself is quite a major buff.

I think the damage and accuracy of spikes is perfect as it is, but the energy cost is a little too lax. Sitting out of range and peppering a marine for 2 or 3 seconds is ok, but sitting there and doing it for 10-15 seconds or more without having to stop is a little extreme I think. Lerks flying around at full pace also may be a little too accurate for my likings.

<!--quoteo(post=1997149:date=Oct 25 2012, 08:27 PM:name=Gorgenapper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gorgenapper @ Oct 25 2012, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Lerks can act as flying turrets now, thanks to the accuracy boost.  ** SUGGESTION ** Lerk spike accuracy should be lower when flying or hovering in place, and only reach full accuracy when roosted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This sounds like a nice idea, but Lerks who are roosted are far too easy to kill, not because they aren't moving, but because taking off takes quite some time. Maybe tying accuracy to velocity could be possible? So a Lerk hovering in roughly the same area would still be quite accurate, whereas wildly strafing all around a room would reduce accuracy considerably.

I should add, whether this counts for or against my points, that I have yet to play <b>against </b>a lerk, or at least one that was around for a prolonged period of time. All of my experience comes from personally being a Lerk, and finding marines a little too easy to kill.

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wish Lerk spikes would be more affected by gravity, like the medic's syringe gun in tf2. Instead of lmg lerks flying around you.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    You're lucky it's expensive as hell to go down to South Africa.

If you're pubbing then expect a ton of kills if you know what you're doing. As a Marine it doesn't take a lot to kill a Lerk. Early SG or even decent LMG aim can down a Lerk easy.. I'd like you to try Lerking in a gather or scrim and see if you can rack up that many kills.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    I disagree, it's incredibly easy to pick off lerks hovering and marines with good aim can easily deal with lerks using shothuns. (2 - 3 hits usually). A good player on a 30 p.res lifeform SHOULD be able to cause quite a bit of damage, before this build you may as well have picked a skulk. In addition, lerks really need both celerity and carapace to be really efficient, that's quite a lot of T.res invested on top of that 30 p.res.

I challenge you to use a lerk without celerity, see how long you last against even semi-competent marine players.

Personally, I'd much rather see spores returned to T1. Maybe even make them ranged. Then have these new spikes as T2, they're well worth the research to counter SG marines and jpers.

Lastly, 3 stacked mines (15 p.res) are an easy and cheap counter to lerks in pubs, I honestly don't get why not more players take advantage of this. It's a guaranteed kill and it's very hard for lerks to spot horizontal mine placement, even with alien vision, at a lower part of the ceiling or doorway.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997305:date=Oct 25 2012, 11:36 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Oct 25 2012, 11:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're lucky it's expensive as hell to go down to South Africa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You'll probably be stabbed, and not by a Lerk!
    <!--quoteo(post=1997308:date=Oct 25 2012, 11:38 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 25 2012, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, I'd much rather see spores returned to T1. Maybe even make them ranged. Then have these new spikes as T2, they're well worth the research to counter SG marines and jpers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This sounds reasonable. I was thinking spores may be a little too powerful for tier 1, but honestly using them well without adrenaline is pretty difficult. They are quite expensive energy wise.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Spores would have to be ranged if they returned to t1. But even then, spikes are the only real defense early game aliens have to help slow down shotgun pushes, I think the gameplay would suffer if the lerk were nerfed or spikes got moved back to t2. It actually feels like it's in a good spot right now.

Again consider the effectiveness of the 20 res Shotgun and compare to the 30 res Lerk. Also consider the avg p-res income for marines is higher than aliens, effectively making the lerk a more expensive unit than just it's face value of 30res.

Please don't nerf the lerk, is what I'm trying to say I guess.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997309:date=Oct 25 2012, 05:38 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 25 2012, 05:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You'll probably be stabbed, and not by a Lerk!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By a Dutchman, they have vicious tempers!

As for the lerk I like the buffs a lot, at least when playing lerk!
  • AlregardAlregard Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156903Members
    Lerk = Shottie+Jp.

Yeah, i know they are appearing later but the costs are still the same. Lerks may be the lifeform you can depend on in the future if you cant get a second hive fast or lose it and it may give you a chance to recover, unlike previous builds. Rines have armslab.
    I have to admit i havent played yet, and i'm also a big lerkfanboy. However, bitepoison makes little damage and spikes were a joke. Both got buffed this patch (poison with glancing bite). Lets see for a week how this goes befor already making a thread about a buffed lifeform. Rines also got buffed thanks to increased performance.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you were the driving force behind these changes, i salute you saba.

With the much tighter spread its very hard to dodge crazy and spike accurately at the same time. A good inherent tradeoff with a skill index. For 30 res, i think its sitting in a nice place between skulk and fade.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Lerk vs Shotgun...problem solved...not op!
    You never played lerk in ns1 Imbalanxd right?
    He was sitting WITH RANGE SPORE...now these little damage doing spikes, you are serious right?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1997319:date=Oct 25 2012, 05:45 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Oct 25 2012, 05:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spores would have to be ranged if they returned to t1. But even then, spikes are the only real defense early game aliens have to help slow down shotgun pushes, I think the gameplay would suffer if the lerk were nerfed or spikes got moved back to t2. It actually feels like it's in a good spot right now.

Again consider the effectiveness of the 20 res Shotgun and compare to the 30 res Lerk. Also consider the avg p-res income for marines is higher than aliens, effectively making the lerk a more expensive unit than just it's face value of 30res.

Please don't nerf the lerk, is what I'm trying to say I guess.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, not to mention those 20 p.res shotguns can technically be recycled ad infinitum
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    I still rather have the NS1 Lerk.

Ns2 lerk is fine, but unfulfilling.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    definitely need gorge melting spray on dropped weapons!
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    IMO people like me are just getting better at lerking because skulking was so unfun in 23 so I felt like I just wanted to get out of it asap.
    <!--quoteo(post=1997334:date=Oct 25 2012, 11:53 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Oct 25 2012, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk vs Shotgun...problem solved...not op!
    You never played lerk in ns1 Imbalanxd right?
    He was sitting WITH RANGE SPORE...now these little damage doing spikes, you are serious right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was an NS1?!?!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Lerks aren't op now. I believe the issue is that primarily good players go lerk (since its a difficult class to get the hang of).
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Good aim drops lerks fast. . .

I still fly into 2 marines and they kill me even though I run away instantly

The blindness from spores puts them well over the top

The only reason I don't think they are OP is because I know how fast they can die from a lucky nade round or wall mine
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1997371:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:28 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 26 2012, 08:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerks aren't op now. I believe the issue is that primarily good players go lerk (since its a difficult class to get the hang of).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^^
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The new spikes feel great, I love the way Lerk plays now. Don't want a nerf unless it's absolutely necessary.

My only complaint now is that spores on Mouse 1 feels really awkward. It might be inconsistent but I would prefer if equipping spores put it on Mouse 2 in place of spikes, and maybe umbra as well. Bite is far more useful in conjunction with crop duster spores anyway.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do like that I don't have to change weapons if I want to use bite and spikes one after the other. I've still quite not memorized how many spikes I need in addition to bites to take down each level armor marines, but I'll get the hang of it yet.
  • StarkwindStarkwind Join Date: 2011-07-26 Member: 112394Members
    Not overpowered just right. Games feel 50/50 now
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149779Members
    The lerk now is actually being used because he's good enough to compete against marines....op would mean that he dominates the marines but in fact he dies so easy to some hidden SG...
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I've actually been trying to play as lerk seriously for the first time ever, and while the spikes feel better compared to before, the lerk can only rely on working in groups (deal ranged damage as your teammates keep marines' fire off you), coming up from behind (surprise!), and attaching to weird dark places hoping not to be found and spiking down long distances.

Lerk still dies to a single perfect SG shot, or 2-3 people who are decent shots with the AR or pistol over distances.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997559:date=Oct 26 2012, 06:31 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Oct 26 2012, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My only complaint now is that spores on Mouse 1 feels really awkward. It might be inconsistent but I would prefer if equipping spores put it on Mouse 2 in place of spikes, and maybe umbra as well. Bite is far more useful in conjunction with crop duster spores anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definitely. Support abilities should be in the second slot and should be able to be cycled using a hotkey. Spores in the first slot seems very confusing. Who would want to use the spikes when doing a spore run anyway?

Also, does the poison bite actually do anything?
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    A team full of lerks? Please don't let that happen. :p
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    Lerks are fine. Move along, nothing to see here. Admin, please delete thread.