b224 sound issues

elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited October 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">halp!</div>Problem:
so since b216, i've been having issues with surround sound on headphones - anything above 2 channels really. Basically, an onos could charge up and gore me from behind and i literally wouldn't be able to hear anything at all. (this is without silence).

I've come to accept that any fix needs to come from my end, so i'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution short of buying a new soundcard. I'm using a realtek card and have heard that this could be the problem, but then again ns2 sound was running fine pre216, so i know the card is capable. Does anyone know of a third party program that might do the trick? Nothing in the realtek audio manager is making any difference

Comments

• MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    I have 5.1 Surround Sound system. Actual speakers, with a receiver. It works incredibly, in all games.

Except NS2, where it sounds muted and low, so that I have to turn my volume up massively, to hear anything really, but then at random times, some sounds will be so incredibly loud it feels like it'll blow my ear drums out.

It's been happening since that build as well for me Elo, every build I kept saying "Well, they'll fix it now..."

But nope...and here comes release. Alot of PO'ed people are going to come to these forums.
  • geggisgeggis Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165490Members
    New player here and just wanted to confirm what elodea and Mkilbride are saying regarding the surround sound. I noticed that if I choose to have 6 channels (5.1) then the audio is very uneven and patchy; guns sound quiet then go loud all of a sudden, everything sounds fainter and if you strafe left and right while shooting the gun sound effects swing from the front left to the front right channel. Bizarrely, guns sound louder in the individual left and right channels than they do when centered ie. stood still.

If I switch to 2 channels then everything sounds absolutely fine but not being able to use my surround setup for a game like Natural Selection 2 is disappointing, particularly when the sound effects are as satisfying as they are. Also worth noting is that this occurs using either my onboard Realtek audio or my Asus Xonar DX soundcard so I don't think it's a device issue.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'll pass this along, thanks guys.
    Any further information would be helpful as well, i.e. specs and drivers and windows settings.