Black Hit Marker? :-(

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Is anyone's hit marker black? I can't see mine and I'm really missing the "feedback" of when I've registered a hit or not. Anyone else having the same problem? Using GTX 480 latest beta drivers (310.33 I think) on win7 x64.

Comments

• Lev SteelLev Steel Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162274Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeh, its black for me as well. You can still see it, but the red one used to be better.
    I doubt, that the color change is intended.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    "Scrolling combat text" / numbers should show when you hit stuff, or are you talking about bullet holes (decals) when shoting at a wall for instance?
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    @GISP:They are talking about the red crosshair hit indicator.

It seems like they wanted to delete it for all weapons without crosshairs, but accidentally made it black instead by not modifying the alpha mask. I'm not sure why they'd want to delete it but I guess it's because they think that is inconsistent with it being a "no crosshairs" weapon.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1996857:date=Oct 25 2012, 06:20 AM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Oct 25 2012, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Scrolling combat text" / numbers should show when you hit stuff, or are you talking about bullet holes (decals) when shoting at a wall for instance?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think those numbers are ugly/stupid (remind me of RPGs like Borderlands and Torchlight) and I turned them off immediately when the feature became available. My opinion of course :-) .

Can I have my good old red hit registration cross feedback please? I miss it dearly. I have no idea why they would do something like that :/ . It was my way of telling when a bite/shot has "connected" without turning on the stupid numbers :-( . I can't believe EVERYONE else is using the numbers.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Some competitive FPS such as Tribes Ascent use damage numbers like those, they tend to be quite useful for your trigger discipline.

The red hit indicator needs to come back, though, the black one is invisible in dark rooms.
    Just give it a small white outline so you don't get the issue of the red one being invisible in red rooms.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    HeatSurge, you're not alone in hating the numbers, but with the current state of hit/damage feedback I'm forced to keep them on :/
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1996857:date=Oct 25 2012, 12:20 PM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Oct 25 2012, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Scrolling combat text" / numbers should show when you hit stuff, or are you talking about bullet holes (decals) when shoting at a wall for instance?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I turned those things off the millisecond they were added. They do not fit the NS2 atmosphere.

I rely on the hit marker to know my hits and the old one was 100x better than the new one. It is really impossible to see just what bites land and which ones don't.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Just as well I couldnt even see the damn skulks for the indicator before.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    edited October 2012
    pretty sure you can turn off scrolling damage numbers in the menu...