Fear Factor

BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
Ok, so before I begin I know that this game isn't outright scary.

This mostly pertains to the human side.

I'm really getting a strong Doom3 vibe from some of the levels I've seen in the game. I'm kind of curious about the atmosphere of the game during matches, and what some of the beta testers have to say as far as fear factor is concerned.

Are there plenty of scary tense silences through dark halls, or is it more a endless stream of horrifying monsters dogging your every step? What about Lighting? Does having nodes destroyed just cause a little dimness or is it a obstructing blackness? Do musical scores accompany dramatic events or moments of tension or is it just an eerie silence and alien ambience?

As for the aliens...

I know it sounds a little silly, but does the element of surprise really make any difference in tactics when sneaking around? Does the multiplayer aspects take away from the shock of a sudden emergence might give or are there still opportunities to take advantage of nervous or unwary players?

I'd appreciate some opinions on this. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    For me it was scary playing as a marine the first time. Now I feel no fear. As for aliens and sneaking. I can tell you that its very hard for me to bite a bunny hoping marine. So if I can sneak behind him and bite him first before he realizes whats going on... It definitely makes it a lot easier to kill/defeat my opponent.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    I felt like this in 1.04 on hera outside double/holo room 10 years ago. Or going down the elevator in ns_nothing and wondering what was waiting for me..

After 2-3 months of knowing the maps inside out, nothing scares you anymore as their are only x amount of positions the aliens can hide. You learn them all and the novelty eventually dies off.

Wish I could start all over again and have that 'scare' emotion.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    After neerly playing this game for 10 years i still get "scared" by skulks coming out of nowhere and start panic shotting :p But that might just be me, being a wus :P
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Sae as you guys i still after nearly 10 years i still jump out of my skin and yell "wtf where he come from!!" lol never gets old, but yea game can make you jump, as a lone marine after your squad has een wiped out and your all alone as you hear the chuckles lol
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Yeah i freqently run around screaming at my screen for the aliens to leave me alone, or atleast invite me over for tea and buicuits, after they are done chewing on my body :)
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    I see. Well, even as I compare it to Doom 3 I will admit that game even lost the horror effect after you are able to plasmagun/mini-nuke anything that scares you. Same thing happens with the more recent Fear games and Resident Evil games.

In the end I'm ok with that. I think a horror ambience still makes for a good intense atmosphere during gameplay. Can't wait to try it!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    NS2 does not feel like a horror game. The aliens are not designed to be scary and it's rare for an alien to jump out at you without you knowing it was there.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    For the most part the game isn't designed to be 'scary' per say, but there is that chance of fear when you are a lone marine holding a RP, a few times I've jumped out of my skin when a skulk pops up out of no where. But mostly the scares in the game are boo-scares, once over the initial "WTFOMGBBQ!!12!!!" scare you usually get it together to take down whatever it is.

The game itself is too fast-paced with too much action to instill any real fear, even maps with amazing atmosphere would be unable to produce real fear or scares in NS2. It's just too fast-paced with too many people talking over the mic about their dog or cat that just got run over.

An it gets even worse during the PT sessions, I can't seem to focus when playing with Kouji, the man is just too funny an the games become a sort of "Natural Selection 2- The Kouji Show!"
  • SomnambulistSomnambulist Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73051Members
    edited October 2012
    I think atmosphere and speed are the biggest factors, NS2 is meant to be competitive so only so much can be done there, they've focused on !surprise! scares, with cloak and hiding and such. It's hard to be scary given the speed of the game, but you do get that pulse raising excitement.
  • amzee81amzee81 Join Date: 2012-10-23 Member: 163368Members
    edited November 2012
    HI
    I am a new player here

<a href="http://www.centplay.com/affiliate/games_4320/" target="_blank">http://www.centplay.com/affiliate/games_4320/</a>
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    So on this topic. I was playing last night while walking down a dark hallway with some other marines when I realized that I was no longer walking with anyone. I'm not sure where they went but I clearly remembered thinking "Oh crap, I am lost and alone and I am pretty sure I just heard a skulk running across the the top of the cave".

So in a slight (huge) panic, I turned and sprinted back towards where I saw some marines on the map when out of the fog emerged a silenced skulk. At this point I began the panic fire routine where I only proceed to embarrass myself. After I was soundly slaughtered I realized that in a fit of panic I had also managed to kick the wall under my computer desk.

So yes, I have been playing NS since it's original release 10 years ago on Halloween and I still find my heart in my throat at times.
  • CaptnRussiaCaptnRussia Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164462Members
    edited October 2012
    Here is the fear you will probably have durnig thi game.;P
    Look around the 13:00 , 16:00 and 18:00 minute mark for what most of your reactions will probalby be.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60UoB04N-Q&list=SPD28226024AD811CB&index=2&feature=plpp_video" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60UoB04N-Q...ture=plpp_video</a>
    haha that onos at 13mins :P
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I wouldn't say scary, but the maps do feel more "unkown" due tot he more complex geometry. Plus confusion by attacking form multiple angles is always effective for Aliens.
  • Lunatic HighLunatic High Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165594Members
    I played the original for a number of years, and I remember nearing the time I stopped, I was still scared ######less to turn a corner and see a Onos looking at me, or being left on the enemy side of the map huddled in a darkened corner as the skulks and the like rush past me, only to see me if they adjusted their camera slightly to the right.
  • finickyfinicky Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164613Members
    Tense is perhaps a better word.
    If the lights go out and you hear the pitter patter of multiple alien feet approach, or when an onos sneaks up and waits for you around the corner, or when you are hiding in the shadows and marines are frantically looking for you...
    All edge of your seat moments.

Playing alien can be very tense too, wiping out a marine wave then seeing if you can munch down that phase portal or power node before they make it back, especially if you are the scout to announce their return a bit up ahead while your mates do the munching.
  • ApheiroxApheirox Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167297Members
    Not scary in the slightest. Unfortunately.