ENSL needs a new webmaster

JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
edited October 2012 in Competitive Play
<div class="IPBDescription">Time for me to go</div>Hey fellow players,

I am too busy in real life to handle ENSL duties anymore. ENSL needs a new webmaster and head admin if it wants to bring itself to NS2 era. The new webmaster will have to take care of the website, ts3 and game servers at least. There will bugs to squash and the layout could do a polish. Familiarity with Ruby on Rails and Linux shell is needed. And last but not least, lots of motivation to create the competitive scene for NS2!

In any case, <a href="http://www.ensl.org/articles/401" target="_blank">NS1 era</a> for ENSL is over for good. It was many years and over thirty competitions of fun, sweat and fury. Thanks to everyone who made this possible. Cherish what you have, all good things come to an end.

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Even from Australia I can appreciate what ENSL was for ns1. You provided so many good games + teams to watch!
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    Jiriki, I can't thank you enough for all you've done and I don't want to stretch it out...or talk about memories with you, it'll just make me more sad to see you go. But I wish you all good luck in the future.

I hope someone picks up the job and helps making ENSL an active leading league for NS2 in europe. I also heard rumors that the first ENSL NS2 Season is planned.. ;)
  • James1coolJames1cool Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43883Members, Constellation
    :( Its really a sad day in NS history, thank you so much jiriki for everything you did for ENSL, good luck mate :]
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    ENSL Gathers are the most fun I have had playing NS2, thank you for everything you have done!
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    Did you take ENSL down, or just a server crash?
    Also, thank you for everything you've done with ENSL.
    That's the place where I learned about NS1, and played gathers and nightcups for about the last year of NS1 activity.
    I'm sad I was never in a real team in NS1, nor played the seasons. It looks like some massively great times I've missed.
    With NS2 about to hit, I think ENSL could play a major role.
    A place where the main focus is what the players need, within some reasonable boundries.
    A place where you're not playing for promotion or prizes.
    A place where you can play longer term competetions, instead of rushy tournaments, which can be hard to endure.
    With this I mean no offense to the official tournaments, you've done a great job for the game and promotion of it, with very little budget.
    But the focus have not been on giving the players a great experience.
    This is where ENSL can hopefully play a good rolemodel that can be copied free of charge.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you for everything you've done with ENSL.

<!--quoteo(post=1998920:date=Oct 28 2012, 12:22 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Oct 28 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>With NS2 about to hit, I think ENSL could play a major role.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cmon UWE, you can take it over and host it from the office! I think the gather system plays a VERY important role in the community!
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    That is a horrible idea, weezl.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Arga at NS2Hub is looking to do what ENSL did with gathers on his site. Might want to give him a shout =)
    <!--quoteo(post=1998975:date=Oct 28 2012, 04:29 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Oct 28 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is a horrible idea, weezl.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why is that? UWE isn't going anywhere, it's their game, they got resources to run a server...
    Or do you mean you wan't something "independent" from the developer? (how ironic with them being indies :P)
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999058:date=Oct 28 2012, 02:45 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Oct 28 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is that? UWE isn't going anywhere, it's their game, they got resources to run a server...
    Or do you mean you wan't something "independent" from the developer? (how ironic with them being indies :P)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not irony.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    If you guys need a webhost for whoever takes over ENSL I can provide the hosting for free. I used to host it way back in the day. And don't worry, I don't work for UWE so it's not like they would be taking over. I would do nothing more than provide some hosting :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1999077:date=Oct 28 2012, 10:32 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 28 2012, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not irony.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How is it not ironic if some one wants a site independent from an independent developer? (if now that's what Fanatic means)
    Or what is irony then?
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Jiriki will still provide the server, he just needs someone to do the work on the website and league.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think it's better that the competitive community stays independent from the developers. There will be to many issues(and drama) if it stays to connected.

It does not mean that UWE can't host tournaments or keep supporting the community, I just really think it would limit its growth. Its better to have dedicated players who have full time and dedication keep doing it. They usually have easier access to all the teams/players and it will be less restrictive.

I have already seen small hints of frustration and limitation happening in last 3-4 tournaments and we don't want them to grow.

---
    It's really sad to see you go Jiriki, thanks for the awesome work you have done up til now :). I wish you best of luck in the future.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Thanks for good words.

I will still take care of the server as it doesn't require much intervention on regular basis.

Currently the server is locked out by ISP because someone DDOS'ed it. Seriously, who bothers?
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for what you've done up until now, and I hope ENSL continues long into Natural Selection's future.

ENSL kept me going when Australia had no servers, and I met a bunch of good people through there.
  • Linksys_RouterLinksys_Router Join Date: 2012-04-11 Member: 150276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999108:date=Oct 28 2012, 05:00 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Oct 28 2012, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you guys need a webhost for whoever takes over ENSL I can provide the hosting for free. I used to host it way back in the day. And don't worry, I don't work for UWE so it's not like they would be taking over. I would do nothing more than provide some hosting :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I miss ENSL already!
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Sad to see you go Jiriki. It was always impressive that you could sustain your dedication and energy levels throughout the highs and lows of competitive NS.

At the time that competitive NS was waning in North America there was a surge of activity in Europe. I remember naysayers promising that the demise of EU NS was imminent and I think that might have been the case if not for you. Maybe this isn't the case, but it certainly looked like it from the outside.
    I don't think there can be any doubt that jiriki's work on ENSL kept the community alive for far longer than it otherwise would have.
  • BirdgameBirdgame Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72397Members
    edited October 2012
    Hiho i'm studieng computer science and i would love to help taking care of the website. I'm actually living in a funny houseshare and all my housemates are studieng comperscience too ;D

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jiriki:
    I will still take care of the server as it doesn't require much intervention on regular basis.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would love to be a part of bringing ensl.org back into life.
    love u all ;)
  • tjab0tjab0 Join Date: 2007-10-23 Member: 62710Members
    Thanks for all that you've done for the scene Jiriki!
    @Birdgame is ENSL up again cos of you? ^^
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2009783:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:18 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Nov 4 2012, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Birdgame is ENSL up again cos of you? ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, as Fana said, jiriki is still hosting it. But there are lot of stuff to fix and maintain on the site.
  • RicazRicaz Join Date: 2007-03-25 Member: 60487Members
    Hey,

I'm a freelance web developer. To be honest, I wasn't much involved in the ENSL scene back in the day; I only participated in World Cups and did some mercing.
    I know PHP pretty well, and have used architectures like MVC in the past. I also know quite a bit about web design. I'm pretty good at the whole HTML5/CSS3/jQuery deal (also just known as HTML5).

I'm sure I'm up to the task, I would just like some more info. I'm primarily doing this to get back into the community for NS2, as I have fallen in love with the game.

You can add me on Steam, pm me on IRC (Ricaz@Quakenet) or just PM me here.

<3