Possible to create outdoor maps?

2»

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    location dependency is already implemented as a tiny add-on to mods search the forums. Also extra entities mod gives you the ability to change the draw distance. so draw distances aren't the biggest issue with regards to outside/open spaces, they only exist to help the game run better. Technically it is possible, but without LODs, cascaded lighting, a decent terrain making system, global light etc etc etc.... you're going to have a hard time making it look or run good. safe yourself the heart ache use cry-engine for out door maps.

Everything about the game has been balanced around close quarters combat, wide open spaces are just not very fun for either team. L4D is an obvious comparison but the special infect cannot fly or climb anything mappers don't want them to. Out doors areas just makes me think of Crevice sniper lerks, Landing pad skirmishes and invisible walls.

Sure its a cool idea to show off some pretty visuals but I don't think it would go much further than that.
    Personally I would like to see some more fun, balanced typical maps rather than visual showcases. Like I said before Kodiak and colony style maps are probably the closest you'll get and as loki says there was enough problems getting that to work well.