Auditive Feedback

countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Another thing we need</div>We don't hear when we are being hit.
Do you guys also feel that this is a very important point to address (not as a feature, but as polishing)?
Applies for both sides.

Comments

• sad. Clownsad. Clown Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147407Members
    It is an important issue and it has been a problem since I started playing the game. Especially when aliens have a silence upgrade: you can't hear you're being hit unless you're looking at your health bar.
  • DystoDysto Join Date: 2007-10-05 Member: 62545Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree, but also, alien vision...is that suppose to be a downside of it (not being able to see when hit)? You can't tell when you are being hit unless you are looking at your health bar.
  • Highlander92Highlander92 Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162257Members
    Agreed. something basic should be implemented imo
  • sushia11sushia11 Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162112Members
    Isn't half the point of silence that the marines sometimes don't know if they are being hit? Actually, if they're health is low sounds get muted and the screen blinks red. Part of the penalty is that they weren't observant enough to realize they were taking damage.
  • clowning-aroundclowning-around Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67495Members
    Has the definition of silence been changed since I learnt it?

I swear this must be a joke, but I am going to reply to it anyway.
    Silence is exactly that, the aliens have spent res researching and upgrading it, and it is a trade off for other upgrades.

On another note, if you are so oblivious to the game environment that you need a big auditory notification that you're being attacked, than you deserve to die to that skulk.

What's next? A big scream exactly like when you attack the hive for each time you injure a marine just so they are aware?
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Sound in general is pretty bad, since for ever.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    THE HIVE IS UNDER ATTACK!
    YOUR ANKLE IS UNDER ATTACK!
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    An audible notification if you are taking damage as alien should count as polishing. It really is missing.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1992152:date=Oct 16 2012, 08:24 AM:name=clowning-around)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clowning-around @ Oct 16 2012, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has the definition of silence been changed since I learnt it?

I swear this must be a joke, but I am going to reply to it anyway.
    Silence is exactly that, the aliens have spent res researching and upgrading it, and it is a trade off for other upgrades.

On another note, if you are so oblivious to the game environment that you need a big auditory notification that you're being attacked, than you deserve to die to that skulk.

What's next? A big scream exactly like when you attack the hive for each time you injure a marine just so they are aware?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, aliens have silence, so when a skulk eat half of my leg, I shouldn't be able to feel it :D
    No, the "Silence upgrade" means that the aliens do not do noises, not that Marines can't hear the effects of the aliens movements, e.g. the lerk's spikes do a sound when they hit a wall. If a skulk bring down a chair, does the chair shouldn't make any sound when it hits the floor?
    Absolutely not.

But besides of that, I think this is a huge problem in NS2, in nearly every games I die like... "whaaat?" Didn't even knew someone was shooting at me, because we have nearly no feedback sometimes.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1992232:date=Oct 16 2012, 11:58 AM:name=Regnareb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regnareb @ Oct 16 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, aliens have silence, so when a skulk eat half of my leg, I shouldn't be able to feel it :D
    No, the "Silence upgrade" means that the aliens do not do noises, not that Marines can't hear the effects of the aliens movements, e.g. the lerk's spikes do a sound when they hit a wall. If a skulk bring down a chair, does the chair shouldn't make any sound when it hits the floor?
    Absolutely not.

But besides of that, I think this is a huge problem in NS2, in nearly every games I die like... "whaaat?" Didn't even knew someone was shooting at me, because we have nearly no feedback sometimes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly. And yes, by using silence, the meat that is ripped off a marine should still make sounds. But skulk's movement and bite shouldn't.

I don't get why people are being sarcastic on this topic. No, auditive feedback does <i>not</i> mean dumbing down the game. If you don't know what I mean by auditive feedback you should not make jokes in the first place.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Some clear yet not annoying damage feedback would be nice indeed.

Otherwise some death sounds are delayed by about 1 second.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Yeah the sarcasm is unnecessary. There was auditive feedback in NS1 when marines got hit. Even if it was a silenced alien!
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited October 2012
    To me it feels like there's a lack of decent visual and audio feedback plus what we have isn't quick enough, it definitely needs improvement.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited October 2012
    Yup, this definitely needs to be improved. Tired of dying to pistols that apparently have silencers attached. And likewise, marines should make some sort of hurt/flinch sound even when attacked by a silenced alien.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I figured this was a given at this point. Your character sure knows when he takes a bullet or loses part of his leg; you should too.
  • banksiebanksie Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162745Members
    Absolutely need proper audio feedback on getting hit. Silence skulk killing you before you realize you're taking damage is kinda off.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even without Silence the damage feedback for aliens definitely needs a lot of work. As a Lerk or Fade I need to know instantaneously and with no confusion when I start taking meaningful damage.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->The benefit of the silence upgrade is not that marines can't tell they're dying. It is that you can run, jump and leap at full speed without making any noise to give away your position. This is why silence was a movement upgrade in NS1.

Even in NS1 you could hear a skulk chewing on your backside when it had silence. This is a critical issue not just involving silence, but for the entire game. The new visuals are good but the auditive feedback needs to catch up.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->