Let's please avoid the "See through walls" stuff as much as possible

TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Running around with outlines everywhere through the walls is annoying. It's like I'm running around with hacks on.

I know NS1 had this to an extent but it was not nearly as intrusive. It should be subtle and you should be able to look past/ignore it easily.

I just don't want NS2 to end up like Battlefield 3 where half your screen is covered in things that aren't even in your line of sight.

Comments

• CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991541:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:38 PM:name=Tacota)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tacota @ Oct 14 2012, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just don't want NS2 to end up like Battlefield 3 where <b>half your screen is covered in things that aren't even in your line of sight</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's the point.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Are you talking about parasited marines? I mean, why wouldn't you want to see that as an alien? Other stuff like CCs and Hives being visible don't really bother me personally.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I don't like seeing the red images of the command chair of the hive. That's clutter. Hopefully there will be an option to turn it off. I can use the map to work out where the bases are they don't need to be shown on screen forever.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1991767:date=Oct 15 2012, 05:57 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Oct 15 2012, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like seeing the red images of the command chair of the hive. That's clutter. Hopefully there will be an option to turn it off. I can use the map to work out where the bases are they don't need to be shown on screen forever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Options -> Show Hints: No
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    These outlines are the best thing since sliced bread, and here is why.

The little glowing orbs in NS1 that you can barely see added nothing to the game but allow for rough positioning for the aliens. It also didn't tell you what you were attacking, and distance from the target was a lot harder to tell. It is also confusing for the learning curve.

It was easy to get confused between, what was a marine and what was a structure, etc.

This implementation actually provides greater tactical usage. If someone else can see the player or they are parasited, you can plan things ahead much better. You can see other alien movements, what they alien is, everyone's position in relation to each other. It adds tactical depth in positioning for attacks.

Another big advantage (that I would like to see put to use) is that it could replace alien vision. I hate alien vision, it is always on by default. I hate having to turn it on just to give myself a fight advantage, and to turn it off to see whether it is actually dark or not. I really don't appreciate a mechanic that does not feel fluid and adds nothing to the game by the fact I have to press it. It is another key to press for no good reason.

I'd rather just see outlines of players once the lights go out, or a toggle to just outline players. You'd either have it on always, or off always.

You also have to remember that the range is limited, so you don't see everything on the map at once.