New patch 222 , all server broke

13»

Comments

• ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited October 2012
    B223 out, is anyone able to access his webadmin? Or am I missing something in the server.txt...
  • LucianLucian Join Date: 2004-01-09 Member: 25193Members, Constellation
    The web ui moved to ns2/web. Also, you need to use -webusers to specify the .htpassword file. Don't put it in ns2/web, because then admins can actually download the file once logged in.
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    I still cant get my server up. Why would anyone do like this?! Nothing works anymore. Of all the "fixes", this is by far the worst.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Everything seems to work fine for me.

Have a look at my earlier posts about how I got it to work, guys.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1990538:date=Oct 12 2012, 02:12 PM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Oct 12 2012, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still cant get my server up. Why would anyone do like this?! Nothing works anymore. Of all the "fixes", this is by far the worst.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I posted earlier in this thread about why these changes were made. What is the problem that you're having?
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990388:date=Oct 12 2012, 09:47 AM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Oct 12 2012, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am going to get a mailing list setup soon (before 1.0) to help us better communicate these types of changes to you all in the future and to post implementation details for feedback.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fantastic - This is something I'd really like to see, server admins knowing when and how to deal with patches post 1.0 will be a big deal for the public's perception of the game as it'll help reduce (and for some of us, eliminate) our downtime after each patch.

--------

<!--quoteo(post=1990538:date=Oct 12 2012, 02:12 PM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Oct 12 2012, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still cant get my server up. Why would anyone do like this?! Nothing works anymore. Of all the "fixes", this is by far the worst.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bit of tl;dr on your part here, all of the information you could need is now in this thread and the 223 thread. What exactly is your issue though? We need more details to help.

Examples of your command line options, settings file (whatever -file is now defined as), and some knowledge of your file structure is needed before we can help out properly. Also, check your log file - they've gone out of their way to have it print errors that are easy to understand and fix.
    It was just a mess everwhere, and I was frustrated after several hours of trying to fix it and it still didnt work! Eventually I understood what was wrong though.

At the end of the day, I think I just miss Lance, who always helped me with everything on steam, as well as writing easy-to-understand guides to server noobs like me.

I just felt that it used to be simple doing this. Now its not. And every patch just seems to make it more and more complex. I understand that this webinterface will make things cooler for everyone, but its very difficult to set up. And all this .json files and all this -config_path and xml files and txt files and I dont even understand half of the things I do anymore! Its worth repeating: It used to be simple. Now its not.

There seems to be a tradeoff here: the more stuff you put in, the more difficult it will be to set up. And I for one dont want more stuff now, I just want it to work without taking a master degree in it.
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1990799:date=Oct 13 2012, 12:22 PM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Oct 13 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the end of the day, I think I just miss Lance, who always helped me with everything on steam, as well as writing easy-to-understand guides to server noobs like me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you wish and if Lance is ok with it, I can post or try to convince him to post his tutorials once he updates them with the newest content.
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990827:date=Oct 13 2012, 05:23 AM:name=ExplosifBe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ExplosifBe @ Oct 13 2012, 05:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you wish and if Lance is ok with it, I can post or try to convince him to post his tutorials once he updates them with the newest content.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm waiting until 1.0 to make a video for server setup, but the more the merrier - unless anyone from UWE can confirm there will be no major shift in the current situation. I've half-made 3 videos at this point only to be informed of or see big changes (well, small really - but setup breaking changes) that make them obsolete before I've even finished.

Any admins still having trouble getting their server up, feel free to add me on steam - I wont be as clued up as Lance but im happy to help.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1990799:date=Oct 13 2012, 04:22 AM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Oct 13 2012, 04:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just felt that it used to be simple doing this. Now its not. And every patch just seems to make it more and more complex. I understand that this webinterface will make things cooler for everyone, but its very difficult to set up. And all this .json files and all this -config_path and xml files and txt files and I dont even understand half of the things I do anymore! Its worth repeating: It used to be simple. Now its not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We are in a bit of a transition period, but the whole point of these changes is to simplify things. Here's what you need to do to configure a dedicated server

1. Run server.exe -webadmin
    2. Open your browser to <a href="http://localhost/index.html" target="_blank">http://localhost/index.html</a> to configure it
    3. Done!

You should never have to edit an xml or json file. Right now the ServerConfig.json can't be setup through the web interface, but it will soon.
  • leeleatherwoodleeleatherwood Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155623Members
    Max, thanks for the hard work, I like the changes and look forward to future improvements.
    Thnx Max. Im very happy to hear that you aim for simplifying thing, its been somewhat of a concern for me as a server owner lately. Now I feel much more comfortable.
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990921:date=Oct 13 2012, 07:24 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Oct 13 2012, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should never have to edit an xml or json file. Right now the ServerConfig.json can't be setup through the web interface, but it will soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please also publish the information how to create these files manually in the future.

Running a webinterface is ok, but from a security point of perspective this sometimes may be really, really stupid.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1991209:date=Oct 14 2012, 10:23 PM:name=falc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (falc @ Oct 14 2012, 10:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please also publish the information how to create these files manually in the future.

Running a webinterface is ok, but from a security point of perspective this sometimes may be really, really stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The information is in the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">wiki</a>! :)
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    I know... I was more referring to future changes.

Just relying on the community to reverse-engineer things is not a very good thing for both sides.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990921:date=Oct 14 2012, 04:24 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Oct 14 2012, 04:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are in a bit of a transition period, but the whole point of these changes is to simplify things. Here's what you need to do to configure a dedicated server

1. Run server.exe -webadmin
    2. Open your browser to <a href="http://localhost/index.html" target="_blank">http://localhost/index.html</a> to configure it
    3. Done!

You should never have to edit an xml or json file. Right now the ServerConfig.json can't be setup through the web interface, but it will soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey Max, GSPs (that run many servers) usually want to just use a config system and not play around with the setup via a UI.

Tools like TCAdmin / GameCreate / etc let people run servers by just automating config files.

Check out <a href="http://www.mammothmedia.com.au/~/media/92E27A0F97F34A958D6D4B9F3CD2A64F.ashx" target="_blank">http://www.mammothmedia.com.au/~/media/92E...9F3CD2A64F.ashx</a> for some recommendations for (large scale) helping server ops.

(Disclaimer: I wrote that guide due to my GSP experience at Mammoth / BigPond GameArena)
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I read through the doc, looks like pretty good information. It saddens me that someone tried to force a dedicated server to use a cd/dvd drive.

I don't like the idea of running a webserver to create a configuration file, if it truly is just a plain text file which you should be able to read/edit then keep it as such. I might be missing the benefit of doing it through a web browser.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991396:date=Oct 14 2012, 02:30 PM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Oct 14 2012, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Max, GSPs (that run many servers) usually want to just use a config system and not play around with the setup via a UI.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1991649:date=Oct 15 2012, 04:52 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Oct 15 2012, 04:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like the idea of running a webserver to create a configuration file, if it truly is just a plain text file which you should be able to read/edit then keep it as such. I might be missing the benefit of doing it through a web browser.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We figured people would like other ways to configure a sever, which is why we made all the config files JSON. This should make it easy for the community or server hosting companies to create additional tools to configure the server, or to allow server ops to configure them by hand.

That document looks pretty interesting, I will read it over.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1991396:date=Oct 14 2012, 05:30 PM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Oct 14 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Max, GSPs (that run many servers) usually want to just use a config system and not play around with the setup via a UI.

Tools like TCAdmin / GameCreate / etc let people run servers by just automating config files.

Check out <a href="http://www.mammothmedia.com.au/~/media/92E27A0F97F34A958D6D4B9F3CD2A64F.ashx" target="_blank">http://www.mammothmedia.com.au/~/media/92E...9F3CD2A64F.ashx</a> for some recommendations for (large scale) helping server ops.

(Disclaimer: I wrote that guide due to my GSP experience at Mammoth / BigPond GameArena)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The web UI does generate a normal text file that you can edit however you want. Maybe the best solution here is to have the server write out a default config file if one does not exist.