Bad Server Message - Killing NS1 Servers

waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Help!!</div>For weeks people have been getting dropped from servers due to

Parse server: Bad Server message: Client ###

What causes this, ive seen entire servers get emptied because of this error.

Can anyone help?

waffles813@gmail.com

This seems to be a client based error, but it hits ALOT of people playing NS1 on most servers, not all.

Comments

• tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    Are the affected servers all with the same host?
    Any other error messages? Does it happen randomly?
  • waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
    edited October 2012
    The effected servers are not all the same host, Currently their are 2 safe servers to play on.

WongaNS
    EvolveNS

these 2 you can play on , every other server we tested all have the same issue, some more then others.

It seems to go in waves, ever 2 hours, ever 30min , depending on the day it will boot half the server, we thought it may be some kind of Dos attack on a particular server but it cant be cause multiple people get booted on other hosts.

Its all the same error message.

Its extremely confusing, and i do not know enough about steam and hl1 severs.

Currently - the top 2 servers on this list - <a href="http://www.gametracker.com/search/hlns/" target="_blank">http://www.gametracker.com/search/hlns/</a> (surprise)

-----------------------

Another post on the same issue.

I recently started an NS1 server in the US and for the past 2 weeks we have been getting an irregular but constant error. The errors disconnect clients with svc_bad type errors with or without amx and metamod enabled. The errors appear to come in waves, so when one person get disconnected others begin to disconnect too and then it happens all over again a few minutes later. There have been times when we can go for hours though and no one gets kicked (but these are rare). This occurs on all of our servers (3 different hosts). We also noticed it occurring on random servers we would join. It does not seem to occur as often on your server (we haven't fully tested this). Some clients (such as myself) do not ever get the error or do so very rarely. Also, the errors occur irregardless of the player count. Some of the errors are given below. Any help you might be able to provide would be much appreciated. We are trying to keep NS1 going and even growing, but these errors are making it difficult.

Host_Error: UserMsg: Not Present on Client 247 <-- that number changes
    ---------------
    Host_Error: DispatchUserMsg: User Msg BlipList/101 sent too much data (197 bytes), 192 bytes max
    ---------------
    Host_Error: CL_ParseServerMessage: Bad Server Message
    ----------------
    Host_Error: CL_EntityNum: 1426 is an invalid number, cl.max_edicts is 133
    ----------------
    Unable to load voice codec DLL uF?":?O%*
    Cw(?U`{?B2eMO`3T?f`?? =[?2.]?%e??vv??$"??g$G?t`??!vS?5"D?"??B&zBs.??d}?F26K?d9TTbk?? =_?6.]F 5??w"??$#?DbsA?tb?T%uTU6"B?"i??$z?Ds(?U`)?C35L?`4U?b>?S$h]?1{^N&5??t%??&r??g"FPt2?W#!UU0qAR">?? ,?Fp*?.dll. Voice disabled.
    Host_Error: CL_ParseServerMessage: Bad server message
    ----------------
    103304 0018 svc_newusermsg
    BAD: 243:svc_bad
    Wrote erroneous message to buffer.dat
    Host_Error: CL_ParseServerMessage: Bad server mes
    ------
    Sent at 9:25 AM on Thursday
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Happens to all ~28+ player NS1 servers, or atleast ones running AMX/Metamod and their fair share of plugins. People have put tons of time and effort into reducing the occurance of those issues, mainly by making improvements to AMXMod and its plugins, but it mainly stems from so many systems built onto of oneanother, each with their own set of bugs. Judging by the message posted your probably talking mainly about the new NA NS1 server, and the owner of that server knows who can help.
    We have tested servers without plugins, just pure clean, and the errors still happen.
    <!--quoteo(post=1989767:date=Oct 11 2012, 10:34 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Oct 11 2012, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Happens to all ~28+ player NS1 servers, or atleast ones running AMX/Metamod and their fair share of plugins. People have put tons of time and effort into reducing the occurance of those issues, mainly by making improvements to AMXMod and its plugins, but it mainly stems from so many systems built onto of oneanother, each with their own set of bugs. Judging by the message posted your probably talking mainly about the new NA NS1 server, and the owner of that server knows who can help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you saying its directly related to how steam and ns1 servers are working right now? Its wierd that it at one time was working, but now its not. Sad
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its a bug in NS1/HL that gets exacerbated by larger playercounts and plugins. When valve adapted GLSRC to the steam platform it seems to have had a negative impact on the engine, as afterwards it never ran quite as smoothly or as reliably.
    <!--quoteo(post=1989811:date=Oct 11 2012, 11:16 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Oct 11 2012, 11:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its a bug in NS1/HL that gets exacerbated by larger playercounts and plugins. When valve adapted GLSRC to the steam platform it seems to have had a negative impact on the engine, as afterwards it never ran quite as smoothly or as reliably.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was starting to think that is was the engine itself, it has to be, servers without pluggins crashing people ect...

Thats very unfortunate , so other then asking the "2" servers that have put the time into fixing it, their is nothing we can do about it.
    Does anyone know how or who to talk to about these issues? Flayra mabey one of your team can look into keeping NS1 alive? :D
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    Hi W@Flz

perhaps this thread (which seems to detail the very issues discussed here) can shed some light on the matter

<a href="http://www.evolvens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2386" target="_blank">http://www.evolvens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2386</a>

I'm glad that you enjoy ns! Certainly no other game plays like it, especially when you get a game that hits on all cylinders
    edited October 2012
    <a href="http://nsbadclan.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0" target="_blank">http://nsbadclan.org/forums/viewtopic.php?...mp;&start=0</a>

Another huge discussion on it.

Ty Annoying kid!
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    ns4life. I'm just saddened you missed the heyday waflz ¬_¬

Garterman and Asmo talked about stability, I'm pretty sure that is why Wonga is stable.

Like Aga said Asmo has pretty much looked over every line of code, and short of doing that (on all layers) it's a vexing issue that isn't likely to see much time from the NS dev team
    I think they dont really want to work on it right now, and would sooner get NS2 up and running smoothly.

I use to play in 2003, tons of games, admin on voogru servers, We had a huge community, an awesome community.

The servers were fine then!
    I dont think that even if they wanted to patch NS1 at this point they could, from the sound of it some of the NS1 source code has been lost.

But as already said Asmo would be the guy to talk to, he put in alot of effort to get it running as smoothly as possible.
    I would have said this probably has to do with plugins too.

Has this only started happening recently?
    Have you or anyone else tried contacting the people who run the working servers to see what plugins they're using?

I doubt the Natural Selection source code is lost though.
    Because the 2 servers are in "drama feud" I dont think Asmode would want to help the other one. Its pretty stupid.
    That's unfortunate.

How long has the problem been around?
    as in Voogru Server? with his uber awesome plugin?

Around that time I was on [who]Thems modified NS and the lunixmonster
    Yesir, Voogru servers :D. Voog was amazing at fixing and running plugins.

I prolly played with you at one point , -IA- was the tag Insane Aggression was the guild.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issues have been consistent for about a month.
    It pisses me off that by updating the platform causes issues for the MOD, it forces the NS team to continue to update their game to make it runnable.
    Team?

Guess its just GG to Ns1 haha, farewell!
    Pretty funny, So because i posted asking about help for one of the servers, i got banned from one of the "2" Fued servers. tooo funny.
    awesome triple post

Hi W@flz, NSF protip: Discussing server drama is frowned upon, and used to be deleted instantly

now that NS1 is sunsetting it's not so rigorously enforced
    We were able to hook up with another HL1 server and fix some issues, we think the problems are non existent now :D, well hope.
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    awesome triple post

Hi W@flz, NSF protip: Discussing server drama is frowned upon, and used to be deleted instantly

now that NS1 is sunsetting it's not so rigorously enforced

The cause of the crashings was because someone in EvolvNS was sending maliciously crafted malformed packets to servers they didn't like (DaGs server mostly) to either make them crash or to kick all players with garbage errors. I figured it out when I took my server install that had been proven to be stable and coordinated with DaG to smurf as his server, and put up a second server. They immediately started getting EvolvNS members on (which were banned after they started trolling), after which the mysterious crashings and disconnects happened.

I had Wireshark set to log packets going to and from the server, which I later sifted through and found peculiar packets from a known EvolvNS player that was sending corrupted packet frames and other bouillabaisse.

tl;dr, there was never any stability problems, it was just trolling and sabotage.