Dishonored: Thief + BioShock + Assassin's Creed

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">+ Dark Messiah + System Shock + Deus Ex</div>So apparently <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/205100/" target="_blank">Dishonored</a> is <a href="http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/07/dishonored-review-begin-get-all-the-scores-here/" target="_blank">awesome</a>. If you hurry up within the next few days, you can buy it at <a href="http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/dishonored-na/" target="_blank">Green Man Gaming</a> and use discount code GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN for 25% off.

The only review you need is <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/wot-i-think-dishonored/" target="_blank">Rock Paper Shotgun</a> which says stuff like:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dishonored is a work of rare imagination and skill, the sort of thing that can’t simply be copied and repeated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That’s why Dishonored is important right now. It feels like a game from another timeline, one where Thief and System Shock set the bar for what first-person games could be, leading to designs that were built around intelligent use of space and world-building.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But here's a trailer

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-XbQgdSlsd0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-XbQgdSlsd0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Comments

• MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Man look at that white box. I am so godamn hyped.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I fixed it, tag was missing the leading - in -XbQgdSlsd0.

Yes this game is appealing to me!
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    I was excited since the first trailers.

And this news article made me want to play it:

<a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/21/dishonored-clues-hints/" target="_blank">http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/21/dishonored-clues-hints/</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->“People would just walk around during playtesting of the ‘Lady Boyle’ mission,” Dishonored executive producer Julien Roby said. “They didn’t know what to do. They didn’t even go upstairs because a guard told them they couldn’t. They’d say, ‘Okay, I can’t go upstairs.’ They wouldn’t do anything.”<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks consoles. You ruined a generation of gamers.

First thing I do if Guard says I can't? Save and try to attack him, or sneak by him, or search the area around him for ways up. Pretty basic, I'd say.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    Been following this since its announcement and cant wait, I had a feeling from the start that it would be one of those rare gems that come out every few years.

The drunken whaler trailer was classy.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7khCk0bdnE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7khCk0bdnE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1988423:date=Oct 8 2012, 01:31 PM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Oct 8 2012, 01:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was excited since the first trailers.

And this news article made me want to play it:

<a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/21/dishonored-clues-hints/" target="_blank">http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/21/dishonored-clues-hints/</a>

Thanks consoles. You ruined a generation of gamers.

First thing I do if Guard says I can't? Save and try to attack him, or sneak by him, or search the area around him for ways up. Pretty basic, I'd say.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's because focus testers are the lowest denominator of intelligence on the planet. They're so retarded I don't know how they manage to breathe in and out to stay alive every day. Or put on pants without bursting into flames.
    No, this was at one of those E3 events as well.

Console gamers are so used to having everything spoon fed, they can;t even think for themselves anymore.
    Nobody knows how to crouch jump any more either!
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Harvey Smith (Deus Ex) + Arkane Studios (Arx Fatalis), at least the developer lineup seems pretty damn promising.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1988488:date=Oct 8 2012, 05:26 PM:name=Monkfish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkfish @ Oct 8 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nobody knows how to crouch jump any more either!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is true. I was playing Cry of Fear and nobody could make this one jump on these stairs, I told them to Crouch Jump and they tried for like 5 minutes...sigh.

Wow, I've been seeing some gameplay videos people released already...and the Console version looks worse than the recent Darksiders 2 release...disturbing. Look's 2005 / 2006.

It literally, looks -nothing- like those videos. I thought I had the wrong game. There is minimal lighting, and the textures have zero detail...it was bad man. No reflections on anything either.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    This game owns, by the way.

Two tips:

To holster your weapons, hold down the use button (default F).

To skip the intro movies, go to [whatever]\Steam\steamapps\common\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Movies and rename or delete these files:

Legal.bik
    LoadingVoid.bik
    LogoArkane.bik
    LogoBethesda.bik
    UE3_logo.bik
    ZenimaxLegal.bik
    ZenimaxLegalFR.bik
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1988624:date=Oct 8 2012, 05:48 PM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Oct 8 2012, 05:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It literally, looks -nothing- like those videos. I thought I had the wrong game. There is minimal lighting, and the textures have zero detail...it was bad man. No reflections on anything either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you comparing PC footage to console footage, might be missing some context there.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1988488:date=Oct 8 2012, 05:26 PM:name=Monkfish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkfish @ Oct 8 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nobody knows how to crouch jump any more either!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I started hearing this when Black Mesa was released and I thought it was a joke.

Then I saw some gameplay videos.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    How hard can crouch-jumping be ? It's basically what its name implies.
    <!--quoteo(post=1988923:date=Oct 9 2012, 03:14 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Oct 9 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How hard can crouch-jumping be ? It's basically what its name implies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You would be surprised.

In other news this game continues to be awesome. Everyone buy it. It's like playing a painting.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited October 2012
    Half life, WAY back in the day, explicitly told you what crouch jump was in the tutorial course. It kind of makes sense from a realism perspective... but at the same time, in real life it's more of a conscious effort to NOT bend your knees to reach a maximum jump height than it is to bend your knees. You bend your knees subconsciously... it feels a little unintuitive to have to consciously perform an action in order to jump properly in a game (although granted pressing the duck key mid jump becomes extremely automatic for experienced players of games with duck jump over time)

From a perspective of usefulness, duck jump is generally not useful in Half life until you are deep into exploiting strafe-jump related movement mechanics. This extended into NS1 and CounterStrike, (as well as most other Half life mods) however in both the two previous cases there were significant nuances to what duck movement allowed vs the system in Half life by default. That being said, in a game where none of the air movement stuff that made Half life and HL mods so awesome even exists... duck jumping is just kind of stupid. I feel it shouldn't really be considered as a feature in games when it really doesn't add anything except a layer of utterly useless complexity.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I used to think it bad that people got confused between crouch-jump and jump-crouch, now gamers don't know either, and even think it's the same thing :P

One is for jumping further when moving, and the other is for jumping higher, I'll let you figure out which is which, hahaha
    edited October 2012
    ###### this game.

It's awesome

But GOD DAMN

It says "THis game uses an auto-save system"

SO!

An hour into the game, I ###### die!

Where did it last autosave? THE PRISON, WITH THE BREAD.

THE ###### IS THAT?

Happened again! I keep trying to remember to save, but man, these checkpoints are spaced 45+ minutes apart. IT GETS OLD.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited October 2012
    Was watching someone stream this, and kept pointing out stupid crap. First five minutes.
    -'Why would you DO that, instead of just using a stupid goddamn elevator AFTER getting OFF the boat?!'
    -'Oh, there's an antagonist. Cue assassination and frame job... oh. There it goes. Look at that.'
    -'Can this writing get any WORSE?'
    -'Holy crap, it got worse. And more cliched.'
    -'All these people have one-piece helmet hair. We've come further than this, guys. Seriously?'

And as far as textures, world design, character design, facial animation (plastic Barbie-doll faces EVERYWHERE!), dialogue... etc go, it kind of looks like a game from about two or three years back, if not more. Hold it up against Guild Wars 2 even (much less The Secret World) and it's pretty clearly leaning heavily on the sun-rays for ooh-ahh factor, amid heaping spoonfuls of BLAND. And yes, this was the PC version, with all the settings 'cranked up'.

I really have zero desire to buy this game. The only thing it kind-of had going for it was the Tall-Boys and semi-steampunk theme. Neat idea, but frankly crap execution.
    Definitely doesn't stand in the same league as AC, much less Thief (the good ones, not the recent money-grab one) for various reasons.
    It's incredibly fun, but yes the graphics are pretty bad.

I think the animations are nice and gameplay is addicting.

But graphics wise, poor for even consoles.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    Mkilbride: Press f5 to quicksave, do it often. Keep a regular save too, in case you quicksave at the wrong time or just press save instead of load like I did once.

Personally I think the game looks amazing, not Crysis crisp textures and realistic animations amazing but design, props, lighting, architecture and various animations amazing. Enemies react to blows properly, characters act good and the climbing and overall athletics is smooth as heck. I much rather have this kind of quality and having it run a constant 60+ fps than anything better looking for 1/5 the performance that lacks on the other areas. I can agree it looks plastic but barbie doll? None yet has been a real looker in anyway.

Combat is easy as heck if you cheese it by sitting above or just using ranged stuff so I'd recommend very hard right off the bat unless you plan on fencing everyone to death.

For 110 fov: <a href="http://www.destructoid.com/here-s-how-to-customize-dishonored-s-fov-even-more-236377.phtml" target="_blank">http://www.destructoid.com/here-s-how-to-c...re-236377.phtml</a>

There is also a bunch of other settings in the .ini files which might be fun to mess with. Stuff like move speed, number of corpses, heartbeats intervals and weapon attributes (bleeding on hit, explode on impact, tears off limbs etc). I will wait until finished to mess with it but it sounds like it could mess things up towards being more hilarious. To remove unskippable intro logos go to "Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Movies" and rename intro_loc.bik, zenimaxlegal, logoarkane, UE3_logo and logobethesda files to something else. I put ".bik2" on the end.
    edited October 2012
    The graphics in this game are great. It's like playing inside of a painting. It's like Team Fortress 2 before TF2 ruined itself with all those wacky items.

I think this might be the best stealth game since Thief. It's amazing. Hiring those Thief level designers paid off. The exploration in awesome. I spent hours stalking through the first full mission area and I think I still missed some stuff.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1988923:date=Oct 9 2012, 09:14 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Oct 9 2012, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How hard can crouch-jumping be ? It's basically what its name implies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know if it's the technique itself or just the idea of using it, but quite a few youtube videos of people playing black mesa has them stuck at the most basic jumps, such as that part where the walkway collapses and you have to use the pipes to get around, because they can't crouch jump up onto the pipes.

Seriously, youtube it. I haven't linked any here because I don't know which ones to pick, but they're all amusing.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    edited October 2012
    Its not exactly a massive thing in games especially these days and think about the logic behind it where somehow crouching while in mid air makes you go higher, its pretty stupid.

I imagine a lot of people are playing black mesa because they never played half-life and want to know what all the fuss was about so such backwards mechanics probably seem alien to them.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Seeing as half life was the FPS I played most growing up I crouch jump all the time in every game I've ever played.

Even though I don't think any game since half life has actually had it as a feature.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Adding to the confusion, in some games trying to crouch-jump will net you <i>less</i> jumping height instead of more.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I think I've decided to buy this, but it's USD$80 here in beach-tax-land, as opposed to £30 (USD$48) in the UK. Does someone in the UK want to do the old paypal <-> steam gift switcharoo?

--Scythe--
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Can't you just use greenmangaming, Scythe? 99% non-UKers can purchase there.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1989875:date=Oct 12 2012, 06:57 AM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Oct 12 2012, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't you just use greenmangaming, Scythe? 99% non-UKers can purchase there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope! GMG filters based on IP. I don't see a buy button there.

Stickman was kind enough to buy it for me in exchange for a couple of games. Yay!

--Scythe--
    This game is interesting. I've taken RPS' suggestion and turned off the objective markers. It forces you to attend to your surroundings and involve with the game, rather than following a quest marker. There are very strong influences from other games, the art guy from HL2 has left an obvious mark, the moment-to-moment movement and perspective feels very bioshocky, but the combat feels far more fluid and satisfying than bioshock's ever did. The guard's private discussions, and the hidden, out-of-the-way routes reek of thief and deus ex.

This is a game that stands firmly atop the shoulders of giants. Hopefully they haven't bitten off more than they can chew and can actually execute on an entire game.

--Scythe--
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1989171:date=Oct 10 2012, 08:54 AM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Oct 10 2012, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was watching someone stream this, and kept pointing out stupid crap. First five minutes.
    -'Why would you DO that, instead of just using a stupid goddamn elevator AFTER getting OFF the boat?!'
    -'Oh, there's an antagonist. Cue assassination and frame job... oh. There it goes. Look at that.'
    -'Can this writing get any WORSE?'
    -'Holy crap, it got worse. And more cliched.'
    -'All these people have one-piece helmet hair. We've come further than this, guys. Seriously?'

And as far as textures, world design, character design, facial animation (plastic Barbie-doll faces EVERYWHERE!), dialogue... etc go, it kind of looks like a game from about two or three years back, if not more. Hold it up against Guild Wars 2 even (much less The Secret World) and it's pretty clearly leaning heavily on the sun-rays for ooh-ahh factor, amid heaping spoonfuls of BLAND. And yes, this was the PC version, with all the settings 'cranked up'.

I really have zero desire to buy this game. The only thing it kind-of had going for it was the Tall-Boys and semi-steampunk theme. Neat idea, but frankly crap execution.
    Definitely doesn't stand in the same league as AC, much less Thief (the good ones, not the recent money-grab one) for various reasons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems to me almost like you've gone in expecting not to like it :/