New To NS2

HeavenOrHellHeavenOrHell Join Date: 2012-10-07 Member: 161756Members
^ Nuff said
Decided to get a forum account so......yeah

Don't worry, I won't ask the same questions that are repeated eleventyonemillion times
I have already browsed the site for beginner info., guides and stuff (e.g. NS2HD, base rush problems etc.)

No, I haven't gotten the chance to play yet since I only have the pre-order.
I have played AvP before with friends so I probably have a tiny edge over those who haven't touched this kind of games before.
I have a few questions/discussion topics though.

1) Moving Slowly/Roosting as Kharaa seems to be rarely used cause it makes you an easy target and 99% of the time you are on the move. Is it useless?

2) Map layouts. Toggling the minimap will get you killed in FPSes and this is no exception, so remembering the gist of it is a huge advantage. However, I want to know (or is there a guide somewhere) that shows areas Marines can go through with and without the aid of Jetpacks? I know some vents can be crawled through like the one in Warehouse.

Comments

• WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    2) Not that I know of. But in general vents at eye-level to the marine can be crawled through (try jump then crouch at the entrance to the vent) as long as the rest of the vent does not go upwards. Guess it will have to boil down to experience.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hi and welcome to the forums, as for you questions my take on them are as follows:

1)Skulk:
    Sneaking (shift walking) is a very valid tactic as it nullifies your footstep sounds so you can sneak around the ceiling to get closer to the marines you are targeting, without them being able to hear you.

Lerk:
    As for roosting, you're correct that when seen you're best off moving around as much as you can. But when you're not spotted or the marines are distracted by other players (Fade's and Skulks) you can perhaps roost to stabilize your shots on them if needed. What ever you do as either Skulk or Lerk, NEVER advance in straight lines and also stay of the floor as much as possible as that makes you a sitting duck

2)I usually have the map open when moving and not encaged in combat. I also have it bound to my middle mouse button so it is much easier to use and when I get myself into combat or are caught off guard I can simply let go of that key. The thing is, the map is not just for navigation of the map. Initially it is, but after a while you get to know the map and don't need it for that. What it is VERY useful for is the tactical overview of where the enemy team is advancing so you can coordinate attacks/defenses or relay this information to your team.

Vents are usually off limits for marines, unless they get jetpacks, they are also in a different color on the map display. There are some vents you can enter with some creative jumping. All I know is that Skulks usually never expect marines in their domain and with them not being able to dodge they are easy targets in there up to when you have to reload.

Remember the vent scene in Aliens? That is what I'm talking about :D
  • HeavenOrHellHeavenOrHell Join Date: 2012-10-07 Member: 161756Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1988198:date=Oct 8 2012, 02:31 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 8 2012, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remember the vent scene in Aliens? That is what I'm talking about :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I can recall, the woman(can't remember the name) pulled a pistol and gave the Alien a healthy meal of lead. Then proceeds to sacrifice herself with a grenade and save Ripley.

Also the scene where Ripley says "They can bill me", after the guy says that the facility was very expensive (or something like that) and she wanted to blow it up, was memorable.

Speaking of Aliens, that reminds me of Aliens:Colonial Marines which is coming out Feb next year....
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Houji prety much said it, so instead of a repeat i will just wellcome you to the forums.
    General anwsers and faqs can allso be found on the wiki (link in my sig)