Speed up energy regeneration after use

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
edited October 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
I, like many others, feel that the change to adrenaline was a step in the right direction in making energy mean something in combat. Ultimately it meant that fades, and many other lifeforms, could no longer ignore the amount of energy they had, because they knew that their passive regeneration would always keep them safely in the green.

However, I feel that this change may have had the undesired side effect of making energy <b>regeneration </b>mean nothing. Before, players knew that their energy regenerated so quickly that they didn't care how much they had. Now, the regeneration seems so low that players typically attack while at full energy, wait till they are at about 20%, then use the remaining energy to escape. They no longer care about the intermediate energy amounts, or how much energy they are regenerating, focusing only on full energy, and zero energy. The downtime also feels far too long, when waiting to regenerate, especially when you have 200% normal energy.

At the moment, it takes 10 seconds to regenerate from zero to full energy, and 20 seconds with adrenaline. 10 seconds vanilla seems appropriate, but 20 seconds just feels far too long. Also, in many situations, the fact that the energy regeneration rate doesn't increase with increased energy removes a lot of the advantages of having more energy in the first place.

(for the purpose of clarity, lets assume a vanilla alien has 100 energy units, and adrenaline increases that to 200 units)
I propose a system whereby energy regeneration increases as you don't use it. That is to say that energy regeneration should be less than 10 a second (the current constant regeneration for all aliens) immediately after using an ability, but should quickly increase to more than 10 a second 1-2 seconds after using an ability. The only abilities which should not break this passive regeneration are flying, belly sliding and shadow stepping.

Although this hasn't been thought through entirely, I think that it would be acceptable if energy regeneration immediately after using an ability was 8 units per second, which then increased by 1 unit each second thereafter. So immediately after using bite, a skulks energy would be regenerating by 8 every second. One second later, it would be at 9 energy a second. 5 seconds later, it would be at 13 energy a second.

With such a system in place, regenerating from zero to full energy would take approximately 8.5 seconds, <b>provided absolutely no offensive abilities were used during this time</b>. Regenerating from zero to full energy with adrenaline would take approximately 14 seconds. 60% longer than it does without adrenaline, rather than 100% longer. Also 15% and 30% shorter respectively than their current regeneration times, once again, provided the use of no offensive abilities.

Comments