Crags everywhere...stop it!

2»

Comments

• SplicerSplicer Join Date: 2012-04-23 Member: 150952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1989437:date=Oct 10 2012, 03:52 PM:name=Beelzebub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beelzebub @ Oct 10 2012, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guess im just trying to say I like the idea of lots of crags, it gives the alien environment a more.. forested look. If you make it so aliens need minimal structures to live, then you kind of make it boring to play khamm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was a little harsher than was required, I had a nasty headache while I was typing that. Sorry about that.
    <!--quoteo(post=1989525:date=Oct 10 2012, 08:28 PM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Oct 10 2012, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To go back to the original point of this thread, yeah, you need way too many crags to get the crag job done now. It hasn't always been this bad though. I'm not exactly sure when it changed.

Kind of funny how some design issues keep going round in circles. Crags to effective? Nerf. Now we have to spam them to get the desired effect. Spam is dumb, pls make them better. Now they're too effective. Repeat. Hard limits seem to be the only circuit breaker and I'm not a fan of hard limits. Coming soon to sentries: 1 power pack per room. :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That's the idea behind the buff and no stack. You've described the issue well. It's hard to make balance a thing such that one of it is worth using but two or three is not overpowered. One solution is to prevent the placement of two or three in overlapping areas, but like you I feel it's kind of an inelegant fix. But by making crags not stack you get the effect of a hard limit (can't have one player or structure receiving the benefit of three crags) without the kludgeyness. It also leaves a lot more room for personal tactics, since you can still place multiple crags in a room if you want to since there are still a number of lesser benefits (backups in case the first goes down, more creatures healable at once etc). So it becomes an actual tactical decision.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Fixed rate plus percentage rate. That way small lifeforms heal quickly, but large lifeforms also have a reasonable heal rate.

Diminishing returns for multiple crags. That way additional crags are useful, but not OP.