Decided to make ns2 server for fun

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited October 2012 in Server Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Stuck in LAN</div>Server is downloaded and installed. Using a second steam account for server so I can play on it. I have tried "-lan false" in the command line arguments of the icon link with both the "s and no "s.
Paste bin of my <a href="http://pastebin.com/bs3ddxar" target="_blank">server.xml</a>

Havn't done much else besides that.

I don't have any ambitious goals for this server. I just want to run one to play with running a server, have a server for me a few buddies when needed, and maybe even run combat from time to time.

Is it possible to run an ns2 server off the same computer I run ns2 on at the same time.

Comments

• CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    Have you forwarded your ports?

You should run a listenserver.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Yes, you can easily run a (non-dedicated) server; when you run the game normally and start one, it will populate the master server list. I've had around 12 folks on my i3-2500 with a solid 30 tick rate (until the late game, where it does start to dip). You actually get quite the home field advantage, too: there's no prediction, as you are playing as the server, so I found my accuracy was much higher than normal.

You do have to forward some ports though, can't remember which.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    I've already notice whats wrong just by looking in your server.xml file. I strongly suggest you to look in the NS2 wikipedia, and if you still doesn't understand. Look in the video tutorial which is linked in the wikipedia.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...edicated_Server</a>
    Yes it is entirely possible to run a dedicated server instance on the same computer that the client is running.
    <!--fonto:HelveticaNeueUI--><span style="font-family:HelveticaNeueUI"><!--/fonto-->In your case, you need ports 27015 AND 27016 to be forwarded. You need port and port +1 to be forwarded for each server instance.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I did use the ns2 wiki from the start. I did watch the OAG tutorial after it did not work. All that before posting here.

I had forwarded my ports. The next day I started having some local network issues. I then rebooted my router. Then server started working. Router must not of been forwarding ports.

The server is tested and working now with no changes to the server.xml file. What do you see wrong with it OAG?

Thanks for the responses guys.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In general consumer-grade routers need to reboot before settings changes fully take effect. It's also good to reboot your router every week or every other week.

Glad you got it working!