Spawning Selection (Especially Aliens)

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
OK, I have a suggestion which I think deserves its own thread.

My basic idea is that you should be able to select your spawn location while you wait to spawn (this is ESPECIALLY important with aliens).

Right now, spawning is, kind of "random" in my experience. Shift eggs are prioritized for aliens; other than that I think the spawn queue is filled from the oldest to the newest IP (for marines) and from the oldest to the newest spawned egg at hives (for aliens).

In my opinion, you should be able to select, especially as alien, where you spawn. For marines, this isn't much of an issue because with phase gates you can usually get to the chair you need to be at very quickly. With aliens, it's definitely not the case and sometimes you can spawn somewhere really far away which might mean the difference between a lost and a won game (e.g. hive in cargo getting attacked, skulks spawn at pipeline, have to run for 30 seconds to get to cargo).

If you could select/reserve the egg you are spawning at, it would also solve the "egg gets killed, timer resets to 12 more seconds; egg gets killed, timer resets to 12 more seconds" problem when marines are killing eggs somewhere. This problem is EXTREMELY annoying right now.

Additionally, for aliens it would be awesome to be able to select your evolutions and life form as you're spawning (and the time to evolve just gets added onto your spawn time). I know aliens are supposed to spawn in "waves," but realistically if a player wants to evolve to e.g. a fade, or put on evolutions to his skulk, he'll evolve when he spawns anyway, so why not have players make their selections while they're waiting instead of looking at a timer?

I think if aliens (and marines) could select their egg/evolutions and IP to spawn at, it would make the game a LOT more fun, and balanced. Less randomness = more strategy/tactics.

Discuss :-) .

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Couldn't agree more. I like the method that Empiresmod and Nuclear Dawn use; you open the minimap and select which available spawn location to spawn from and it stays that way until you change it. Also, Nuclear Dawn made a nice addition where the comm could designate the default spawning location for anyone who just joined the team.
  • AFireInAsaAFireInAsa Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160156Members
    This might cause games to go on even longer since it's biggest impact is for defensive reasons. This would be a problem for already long games (over an hour).
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't get how this is a problem; I can currently already "force" spawning of players somewhere by just making a shift and spamming eggs inside a hive which is getting attacked. It doesn't really change much, except alleviate frustration from randomness and stupid random egg assignment causing resets of the respawn timer.

I suppose you can argue it's intentional, but in my opinion it would promote longer "battles" for tech points which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    The current random spawn is a significant detractor from any kind of cohesive strategy. I can't remember how many times I've had to tell a Khamm "dude, I'd help, but I keep spawning on the opposite side of the map." We don't need anything fancy, just a "Which hive do you want to spawn at?" with numbered options, ones that aren't alien occupied greyed out (so that Data Core, for example, is ALWAYS hive 2, rather than the numbers shifting based on who occupies which tech point). Maybe give an egg count at each of those hives, or have the option be red if the hive is out of eggs.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    There is a tip right before you spawn as alien saying "right click to choose a different egg". So presumably there is planned implementation of egg choice.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1986359:date=Oct 2 2012, 05:08 PM:name=DanielD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanielD @ Oct 2 2012, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a tip right before you spawn as alien saying "right click to choose a different egg". So presumably there is planned implementation of egg choice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In the one sec before you spawn (you can't even read the entire text before you do so). Frankly, its a poor substitute for just choosing your spawn location on the minimap at any time you desire.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty sure that text is unchanged from some 30 builds ago when it was possible to choose your egg.
    I agree with op, choosing the wanted egg or at least egg group (hives, shifts) would be great.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah, right now the game gives you the ability to choose your egg for about 1 second after the 12-second timer. I have always assumed this was some kind of a cruel joke...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    a dynamic minimap could go a long way as scardy suggested, being able to use such a thing in one way would help spring up other features along the way. chop chop uwe.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    This has been suggested since the egg selection feature was removed some 30 builds ago. Like every thread before this one, agree completely.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited October 2012
    I personally don't like the idea of players having to sift through every egg on the map to find the one they want, or being confronted with a mini map every time they die.

Firstly, there can be a lot of eggs. While having the choice to sift through the 20 eggs at hive 1 in order to spawn at hive 2 is arguably better than having no choice at all, its a bad mechanic with bad usability, and including it would be bad design. In this case you need to look past the plain utility it provides, and look instead at the aesthetic consequences it has for the entire game. You can't expect people to go through tens of spawn points looking for the perfect one.

As for the mini map selection, here's the problem I see. In all games that I have seen implement this form of spawning, it is never a request. You don't click a spawn point on the map and say "please sir, can I spawn here?". Its a demand, you as the player are saying, this is where I will spawn, and the only way I will spawn anywhere else is if I choose to do so. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way in NS2. You could choose one hive as your spawn location, but if there aren't any eggs, you may just be popping out on the other side of the map. That's just the way it is.

I would prefer if something strategical like troop deployment was left up to the commander. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I think it would be just as good if the commander simply selected a primary spawn location, which could be a hive or a shift. Then, players spawning in would be assigned the closest available egg to the location of that primary structure.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Simplification: Let them pick region based on what's generating eggs (Hive or Shift). Don't let them swap between eggs within that region.

If there's no eggs, let them know how long the queue is and how many eggs are left. So if there's a region with a butt ton of eggs, they know to spawn there to conserve eggs.

Marines could use a spawn selector per CC as well, but marginally less important due to PGs.

Now, if Aliens had Hive Teleport, this would be a different story...
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1993109:date=Oct 18 2012, 03:43 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Oct 18 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simplification: Let them pick region based on what's generating eggs (Hive or Shift). Don't let them swap between eggs within that region.
    Now, if Aliens had Hive Teleport, this would be a different story...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    so much win
    edited October 2012
    Picking through 'patches' of eggs is what I have suggested before, being able to cycle through hives or shift locations is obviously a better method than individual eggs.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1993104:date=Oct 18 2012, 06:53 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 18 2012, 06:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer if something strategical like troop deployment was left up to the commander. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I think it would be just as good if the commander simply selected a primary spawn location, which could be a hive or a shift. Then, players spawning in would be assigned the closest available egg to the location of that primary structure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^THIS! A much better solution that gives the kham some connection to his troops. And the kham needs some more strategical influence anyway.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    edited October 2012
    Yep, this should be implemented tout suite.

It'd also be nice if eggs could be laid out more dynamically in the environment: ceilings, walls...
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Similar to the Battlefield 3 system would be great. It is quite frustrating not being able to spawn at your hive of choice. Should be able to select a hive/shift or command station as your spawn point while you're dead.

Probably too much work for 1.0 though :(
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993147:date=Oct 18 2012, 01:57 AM:name=Dusteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusteh @ Oct 18 2012, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Similar to the Battlefield 3 system would be great. It is quite frustrating not being able to spawn at your hive of choice. Should be able to select a hive/shift or command station as your spawn point while you're dead.

Probably too much work for 1.0 though :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe the devs said in the Q&A this week they don't want to do anything like that.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1993148:date=Oct 18 2012, 09:58 AM:name=Fappuchino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fappuchino @ Oct 18 2012, 09:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe the devs said in the Q&A this week they don't want to do anything like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shame. They wouldn't have to make it so you HAD to choose somewhere to spawn, could just make it an option by bringing up your minimap and clicking on a location.
    Bare with me here, this might sound a bit off the wall.

Pheromones right. Some sort of green transparent cloud the commander drops. Any nearby eggs affected by the cloud immediately get assigned to players who are dead and spawning in. Players assigned to an egg affected by pheromones spawn in 50% faster. So if a player is waiting to spawn, and has 15 seconds left, and then gets assigned to a pheromoned egg, that 15 will tick down in 7.5 seconds.

The egg assignment period would last 10 seconds, that is to say that, after using pheromones on a group of eggs, anyone who dies within the next 10 seconds would be automatically assigned to those eggs, and would benefit from the 50% faster spawn until they spawn, even if assigned in the 9th second. Once the 10 seconds are over, any egg affected by pheromones but not yet assigned a player would be destroyed.
    Messing with the egg spawning timing might be a bad idea, but whether the player selects it or the commander, spawning shouldn't be left to chance, either on the marine or the alien side (when eggs/IPs are available at desired locations, of course)... So yes, either commander or the players should be able to assign priorities to either hives or shifts at which they want to spawn.
    edited October 2012
    <i>Double post, please erase.</i>
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, don't overextend. Such an ability could lead to bad balance and heavy early skulk rushs.

A simple button on the building menu of every hive and shift, that allows the kham to set it as the default respawn-building is enough.
    You could even advance this with allowing the aliens to chose their egg for them-selfs. But the kham-chosen would always be the first selected.
    edited October 2012
    Priorities are fine - they can work perfectly well while still maintaining the option to select a spawning location. Just consider priorities when sorting possible selections.
    <!--quoteo(post=1993167:date=Oct 18 2012, 12:06 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Oct 18 2012, 12:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, don't overextend. Such an ability could lead to bad balance and heavy early skulk rushs.

A simple button on the building menu of every hive and shift, that allows the kham to set it as the default respawn-building is enough.
    You could even advance this with allowing the aliens to chose their egg for them-selfs. But the kham-chosen would always be the first selected.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But thats soooo boooooring and unalien like. We need GAS CLOUDS.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Making it way too complex Imba. imo.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    I like the commander selects priority idea, anything that gives the alien comm more to do would help and it is definitely really frustrating when you die near your hive and desperately want to get back in the battle and then you spawn all the way across the map.
    <!--quoteo(post=1993180:date=Oct 18 2012, 12:54 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Oct 18 2012, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Making it way too complex Imba. imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ye probably. I just wanted the alien-esque scenario where a marine walks past an egg and it instantly hatches and attaaaacks.