Whips are still dumb!

MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
It is still nerve wrecking to manage whips.

1. Echoed whips still do not attack structures automatically.
2. Whips should re-root themselves upon re-creeperation. (It is now. A word.)
3. When moved they turn like you know how in like horror movies, they have this girl who knows the bad guy is behind him, even though she can't hear or see him, maybe it's the smell i dunno, she turns like real slow that's how whips turn.

Yeah. Like that.

Comments

• Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    And I thought the main issue with Khamms is that they didn't have stuff to do and units to micro.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Whips should also stop slapping grenades into friendlies.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985971:date=Oct 2 2012, 03:06 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Oct 2 2012, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whips should also stop slapping grenades into friendlies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please...I think the whips are worse than the bloody GL's.

They actually increase the range due to whips randomly throwing grenades around.

Either allow a whip to eat 1 grenade every x seconds or revert back to the first model where whips mostly threw back at the marines.

The current random throws makes spawning at a hive under attack suicidal...even if you choose an egg not in direct fire..what out for the whip throws.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1985892:date=Oct 1 2012, 05:20 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Oct 1 2012, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I thought the main issue with Khamms is that they didn't have stuff to do and units to micro.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find alien comming to be much more enjoyable than marine actually, especially with later-game battles.

I think alien comm can do much more "fun stuff" (enzymes, ink, healwave, hallucinations(lol?)) than marine (MACs/emp, ARCs, medpacks, nano, scans, etc.)... just my opinion. I enjoy playing with a competent alien team much more than I do with a competent marine team actually...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Faster root/unroot speed and proper structure LOS vision would go a long way in making whips much more useful and microable.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985892:date=Oct 2 2012, 01:20 AM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Oct 2 2012, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I thought the main issue with Khamms is that they didn't have stuff to do and units to micro.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem is more that the alien commander is given menial and pointless tasks to constantly perform which do almost nothing and have negligible impact on battles. The busy work of controlling whips is a good example of this.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The big issue with deployables in this game is that the action is so fast that time to select and then deploy usually comes too late, and it is just another button to press that adds no depth skill wise.

Should just make it so moved NPCs deploy once they stop over a period of X, but make the pack up times near to 0/.5 when moved.

Then you'd see more comms selecting individual whips and running them to locations under or soon to be under attack.

Perhaps hive chamber choice could also effect structures in a soft way, such as shift making them move faster or hit quicker, perhaps shade cloaks them while building (even when out of range) and crag buffs armour?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also whips do a pretty bad job at stopping grenades, they used to be WAY better at that.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    yes, they move too slow off infestation, turn too slow, block cyst pathing, and take too long to root/unroot.

+ clunky unresponsive UI and bad pathing.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    Does anyone else feel that whips should do the worm dance to move around instead of tiptoeing? Is it just me?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1986028:date=Oct 2 2012, 05:56 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 2 2012, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Faster root/unroot speed and proper structure LOS vision would go a long way in making whips much more useful and microable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But
    That's not the actual problem.
    It's the whipvsgrenades combat thats the problem, not rooting, unrooting, and line of sight.
    Gls need to shoot slower, whips whip back faster, and actualy whip them back to the marines!
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986245:date=Oct 2 2012, 11:53 AM:name=VoodooHex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VoodooHex @ Oct 2 2012, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone else feel that whips should do the worm dance to move around instead of tiptoeing? Is it just me?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We are best friends.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    See this is the thing I don't get, do you really want aliens to be able to practically nullify a grenade push? Just plomp down a few whips and now GLs are not a problem anymore? Charlie has said many times that structures are not supposed to be too good. Sentries/hydras should not be able to lock down a room completely and whips should not be able to nullify GLs. Right now whips will whack back a few grenades but not all, thus the marine with a GL is not useless and alien players actually have to deal with him before he does too much damage. I agree that whips should not knock grenades in all sorts of directions, that is too random I think and not fun to die because the whip was being a ding dong. Maybe a cone of fire so the whip always knocks back grenades in a certain direction could be a good solution, but I strongly disagree with the sentiment that whips should be like they used to.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I disagree. If a whip is in line with an airborne grenade, it should be able to redirect it. I agree it should be more toward the marines who shot it and less toward the bundle of upgrades behind it, but meh.

If you want to kill a whip, simply make it so whips only hit grenades in the air. So you just gl the base of the whip, and boom. A little strategy, and the whip still remains useful.

On GLs, though, with the crappy bouncing of players and entities combined with the GL holder taking damage, either lessen that damage and apply it to all marines, or remove it. It's sad that nanotech can keep FF off of teammates, but not for yourself. I understand the whole "can't spam nades on yourself as a defence", but I have a grenade bounce OFF a fade's head and back onto me, killing me. That's just not nice.
  • 3DKnight3DKnight Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10181Members
    The problem with whips knocking grenades back is that during a push, that knocked back grenade will unlikely hit the person firing them, and just supply more explosive cover for the marines ahead of the GL.

So even if 2 out of the 4 get through, the remaining 2 will bounce off marine units in the front and supply passive cover for them, denying skulks the means to fight back anyway

I thought the reason whips loosing their knockback while on fire is to allow the marines to nullify them with a specific weapon. I have NEVER seen a game where it was important to use a flame on whips.

whips are basically 15 res meatsheilds that can protect your res tower for a short time from a rambo marine.
    <!--quoteo(post=1987226:date=Oct 5 2012, 06:55 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Oct 5 2012, 06:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But
    That's not the actual problem.
    It's the whipvsgrenades combat thats the problem, not rooting, unrooting, and line of sight.
    Gls need to shoot slower, whips whip back faster, and actualy whip them back to the marines!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They are also problems.

<!--quoteo(post=1987362:date=Oct 5 2012, 01:18 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Oct 5 2012, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree. If a whip is in line with an airborne grenade, it should be able to redirect it. I agree it should be more toward the marines who shot it and less toward the bundle of upgrades behind it, but meh.

If you want to kill a whip, simply make it so whips only hit grenades in the air. So you just gl the base of the whip, and boom. A little strategy, and the whip still remains useful.

On GLs, though, with the crappy bouncing of players and entities combined with the GL holder taking damage, either lessen that damage and apply it to all marines, or remove it. It's sad that nanotech can keep FF off of teammates, but not for yourself. I understand the whole "can't spam nades on yourself as a defence", but I have a grenade bounce OFF a fade's head and back onto me, killing me. That's just not nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or just make it so the grenade explodes when hit and doesn't damage the whip or damages it by a set reduced amount. Therefore marines are not caught out by grenades that come back at them, and you also know it takes 'X' grenades to kill them.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Why didn't you complain that they're also horrible at one of their main purposes? The fact that they are useless against grenade launchers still.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987366:date=Oct 5 2012, 08:25 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Oct 5 2012, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just make it so the grenade explodes when hit and doesn't damage the whip or damages it by a set reduced amount. Therefore marines are not caught out by grenades that come back at them, and you also know it takes 'X' grenades to kill them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, two choices are that the whips takes less damage as they destroy the grenade, or that they somehow remove the "FF" feature of the grenade as they throw it back. Maybe with the red enzyme on them to indicate? Heck, add a 3 second timer to explosion to give marines some notice...

I like the simple destruction method, however, I'm afraid as other posters have mentioned whips are pretty weak overall. If they take any damage redirecting or destroying the grenades, it makes even more vulnerable.

However, I'm afraid redirection may be even MORE processing power to differentiate non-FF from FF grenades or what not, and besides, all post 1.0 anyway.

Good discussion, I'm sure the devs at least notice there are some issues.
    You could just say it sustains X amount of damage if it explodes in range of a whip/whips rather than fussing about where it explodes etc, considering the balance issues related with this.

If it isn't hit however, it just does damage as per normal.