Server setup issue

MoochieMoochie Join Date: 2011-10-18 Member: 128058Members
Hi, I have set up NS2 servers in the past but I can't seem to update my servers to Build 221. I installed a new server from scratch with SteamCMD and it was version 220. Is there something that I am missing or does it take a few days to get the server files updated to 221? I can set up a server with my steam install but cause I have my servers on a dedicated server box I can not play NS2 cause steam has to be logged in for the server to run with the steam files.

Comments

• WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey there! The servers do not auto-update. Use SteamCMD, with the same commands you used to install the server, to update the server.
    The client and server are updated at the same time on Steam's servers.
  • MoochieMoochie Join Date: 2011-10-18 Member: 128058Members
    edited September 2012
    I do use the steamcmd to update, I have also installed a new server and it is also 220.

I just tried it again and it updated to 221... Idk :P Thanks for your time.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Also, its better to make a new steam account for the server so you can still play NS2. You don't need to own NS2 on that steam account to download the server files.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unless you are installing mods from the Workshop, which requires an account with beta access to the game.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1985471:date=Sep 30 2012, 11:04 PM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Sep 30 2012, 11:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless you are installing mods from the Workshop, which requires an account with beta access to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True enough, but this won't be the case forever. Eventually, you'll just have to specify the mod # in your server config file and it should automatically download/update the mod whether or not the game is on that account. Also, there are a couple of current workarounds:
    - Download the map/mod on your client account then copy the AppData\Natural Selection 2\Workshop folder over to the server
    - Use your free copy of (or find someone with a free copy of) NS2 to put on the server account
    Will the free copy work? Since it does not have Beta access at the current moment.
  • MoochieMoochie Join Date: 2011-10-18 Member: 128058Members
    Only issue with copying over the workshop files from the client to the server is that once a mod or map is updated on workshop the server doesn't update and when the map changes I get kicked for "Server mod out of date". Not sure if everyone gets that or just people that are subscribed to that mod.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1986456:date=Oct 3 2012, 07:50 AM:name=Moochie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moochie @ Oct 3 2012, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only issue with copying over the workshop files from the client to the server is that once a mod or map is updated on workshop the server doesn't update and when the map changes I get kicked for "Server mod out of date". Not sure if everyone gets that or just people that are subscribed to that mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Everyone gets the same error as the old version of the mod is not available in Steam Workshop anymore so the connection clients can't download the old version from there anymore. This severely hampers the mod development as you're literally going to break every server that runs your mod every time you update it.
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    Btw.: Why isn't NS2 dedicated server listed in the "Tools"-Tab of Steam just like any other dedicated server? o_O
    Would be great to see it there, so we won't need to use steamcmd anymore.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Because servers don't run steam, or sometimes even a GUI.
    The NS2 Dedicated Server appears as a Game in my Steam Library, right underneath Natural Selection 2.
    "Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server"

Then again, endar is right.
    <!--quoteo(post=1986524:date=Oct 3 2012, 04:15 AM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Oct 3 2012, 04:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone gets the same error as the old version of the mod is not available in Steam Workshop anymore so the connection clients can't download the old version from there anymore. This severely hampers the mod development as you're literally going to break every server that runs your mod every time you update it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which is why the current workaround is a bit poor, but can be done if you are vigilant about updating the server workshop files regularly.
    Is there any particular way to retrieve the exact URL from which the game downloads the mods? Like this, a small script could be added to check for updates. (From what I know, the second part of the mod folder name after the underscore is the UNIX timestamp of the mod's upload)
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1986637:date=Oct 3 2012, 08:15 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 3 2012, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which is why the current workaround is a bit poor, but can be done if you are vigilant about updating the server workshop files regularly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry I don't understand what you are saying.
    What workaround?
    What can be done?
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1987306:date=Oct 5 2012, 02:35 AM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Oct 5 2012, 02:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry I don't understand what you are saying.
    What workaround?
    What can be done?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think i'm correct in saying he's talking about having the mod subbed on a client, then harvesting the workshop files from that client and uploading them to the server instance on a regular schedule. This doesn't work perfectly for the exact reasons you specify, hence the current workaround being poor :)

Honestly, other than us creating a script that runs scheduled git pulls, and having the server reboot on any changes (if empty) there's no other way right now; and trying to combine that with workshop files would be a nightmare.