Do Fades need/want shadowstep?

MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
edited September 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I can't remember why it was implemented. It's just a blink that works slightly different. Doesn't feel like it adds anything to Fade. If Fade needs a gimmick, give them the old "aim where you wanna go" blink as a secondary, with a big cooldown. So you could aim somewhere and blink there. That'd be funridiculouslyoverpowere*COUGH*. Something like that.

Thoughts?

P.S. Inspired by 221 Fade changes but not ABOUT 221 Fade changes.

<b>EDIT: Please, if you like shadowstep, also provide a specific reason. Trying to map the fun-factor here.</b>

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I guess the point is to give the player a choice between quick burst movements and longer distance blinking, with the now slower acceleration.

Shadow step is supposed to be for dodging about the place in combat. Blink can also do that but I think the point is to get into the battle with blink, use shadow step to dodge, then blink away again when you're done.
  • r0@rr0@r Join Date: 2012-09-23 Member: 160490Members
    I really like the idea of adding the old "aim where you wanna blink" as an alternative.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love shadow step and I dislike this thread for fear the UWE removes it or something.

I reiterate. I LOVE SHADOWSTEP
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    Yeah with the adren changes I find myself using shadowstep alot. Ps I still don't like the new adren :P
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    It was fine, but I'm sure they'll end up reverting this change.

I personally used both pre 221.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I never liked shadowstep.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shadowstep is a great addition to the fade.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Love it for so many reasons. Hope it never goes anywhere. (wish you could shadow step UP when double jumping)
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do Fades need/want shadowstep?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep.

Good early game and still viable endgame. Makes a fairly large melee class mobile, which is more than necessary. Blink complements it nicely, giving more fast-movement range and the ability to go up as well.

Here to stay, and I love it.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited September 2012
  • comp_comp_ Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106656Members
    I don't mind it being there, I dislike the fact they nerf blink for people to "use shadow step as well" (literally from the changelog). I had so much fun with the old blink and felt very versatile, shadowstep isn't even close to that, and the current blink isn't either.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Uh, okay, appears it has much love. Care to elaborate why, exactly. I mean what it looks like is just a faster, smaller blink. I would understand dodging in combat, if not for the length of the shadowstep. If you dodge a shotgun shot with shadowstep you're ways away from the marine?
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Would much rather just have ns1 blink.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'd like to know the logic here because it seems dodgy to nerf normal blink just to shoehorn shadowstep into the game. Unless they thought that the blink momentum/acceleration was fundamentally broken, surely the more logical solution is to remove/change shadowstep and be happy that blink is versatile enough on its own?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, I enjoy shadowstep. They just need to find the right interaction between it and Blink.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Shadow step is fine. Don't destroy blink to make room for it though.... *Rage building up inside*
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Shadowstep is essential to fade gameplay, because you can use it with directions, unlike blink which only goes forward.

The fact that this thread even exists is surprising. To me the thread is equivalent to something like "Do marines need/want strafe?"
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I really really don't understand the wording for the blink nerf:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disabled initial blink force, to give Fades a reason to use shadow step as well<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty sure fades used shadow step in all phases of the game and that it was extremely useful. There was no reason to nerf blink in order to make Shadow Step viable because...it was already very viable.

I hate the new (well I guess it's the old now, isn't it?) blink, it's back to being semi useless. Makes the fade feel terribly slow and "floaty" again :/
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    Shadowstep indeed gives fade more freedom and variety which obviously is a good thing. Though, blink should be first hive upgrade and shadowstep second hive upgrade, because blink is more general ability while shadowstep in only good in special situations. Second hive already is in too much importance, this change would give aliens chance to fight back in middle game with only one hive.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Blink acceleration was a bit too much in the last versions, it sent you flying like a rocket, now it's a bit too little.
    Typical case of overnerfing, just like the skulk bite. I'm sure they'll confirm this via their stat tracking and tweak it for 222.

Shadow step is quite useful and should be kept as is.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    edited September 2012
    Shadowstep is absolutely incredible, there was already a HUGE reason to use it. Basically because blink only went forward and shadowstep could go any direction shadowstep has use. You needed to fully utilize shadowstep to be as mobile as a fade can. Basically you could jump, blink for a bit, double jump, blink some more (preferably above someone at a 45 degree angle to them) then shadowstep right into them. Any combination of those movements is viable.

The reason for the blink nerf on the main page (so people have a reason to use shadowstep) is absolutely ludicrous and telling of a decision maker that didn't listen to people well enough.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1984727:date=Sep 29 2012, 01:16 PM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Sep 29 2012, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here to stay, and I love it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

he loves it, that's all you need to know.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1984770:date=Sep 29 2012, 10:36 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Sep 29 2012, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shadowstep is essential to fade gameplay, because you can use it with directions, unlike blink which only goes forward.

The fact that this thread even exists is surprising. To me the thread is equivalent to something like "Do marines need/want strafe?"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhh, blink was multidirectional only a few patches back.

But thanks for your contribution anyways, I guess.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Shadowstep has always been viable.

Please give us the 220 fade back.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984816:date=Sep 29 2012, 02:47 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Sep 29 2012, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uhh, blink was multidirectional only a few patches back.

But thanks for your contribution anyways, I guess.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If blink becomes multidirectional (again or whatever), that's another discussion altogether. I probably wouldn't be opposed to removing shadowstep if blink is multidirectional, but I still think it might be useful as a "fixed portion" energy cost ability.

As it is right now (forward only) removing shadowstep would be like removing strafe.
  • nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    I <b>hate</b> shadow step. At least they could've made it more consistent before tying it up with blink (sometimes you have to press 2-3 times before it activates, same problem as previous patches).
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Everything rantology said sums up the uselessness of blink now. Devs... seriously... please stop experimenting with this stuff... just leave our blink alone. Leave it effective and the main movement feature of the fade. Shadow step doesnt even need to be in the game... its fine if you leave it but dont ruin blink.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    Dear UWE,

You do not understand your own game. You nailed blink/shadow step in 220.

Please stop ###### with the only skill based movement you have successful implemented in this game. NO ONE was complaining about blink/shadowstep in b220, yet you changed blink into an abomination to encourage shadow step which was ALREADY VERY USED.

It makes NO SENSE at all that shadow step to 30 speed, tap blink and I instantly go down to 16-17. Way to make blink absolutely useless for transversing the map and only useful for blinking straight up to disorientate marines. I have no idea who is giving you these suggestions that blink needed a change.. it was not called for.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2012
    Should preface that no playtester suggested this change, that I know of, but I would say that 220 blink needed an initial energy increase our something similar.(and again, the visuals are broken imo.)

Also, just looking at your feedback I'd say that it could be solved by simply preserving acquired momentum when entering blink. Now thats just an idea, idk if that truly is the only downside in your opinion
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1984825:date=Sep 29 2012, 04:03 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Sep 29 2012, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If blink becomes multidirectional (again or whatever), that's another discussion altogether. I probably wouldn't be opposed to removing shadowstep if blink is multidirectional, but I still think it might be useful as a "fixed portion" energy cost ability.

As it is right now (forward only) removing shadowstep would be like removing strafe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wish it's multidirectional again.