Gorge Web Idea

RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Okay, so gorge web is going to be in eventually, but we need a fun design to put it in with, and I've got one that will allow gorge a more buildy role, by giving him a new structure and a little mini-game of sorts to attend to.

Okay, so web is placed as in NS1, nice and easy.

When a marine runs into a web, they fall to the ground and are wrapped up in it. A teammate can cut them out with 1 axe swipe, or they get out themselves after 20 seconds. Here is the fun part. If a gorge gets there before 20 seconds are up, he can build the trapped marine into a whole new structure: the (Cocoon? I got no idea.) The previously tangled player respawns as usual. It appears as a bit of infestation that looks a bit like the end of Q-tip. The gorge can move it back to base somehow, and it will be great for decorative purposes. It makes a nice chandelier. The utility part? It acts as a very small harvester (1/4 or so of a regular harvester) and can be teamkilled to refill health.

This allows the gorge a more building role, gives him an active, fun, useful mini-game type thing to play, and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Thoughts?

Comments

• NoxZANoxZA Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159814Members
    Bad idea. Gorges would just camp the web, which makes it an insta-kill for any marine running into it.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Any rine with a teammate around could stop the gorge though, so that only effects rambo marines.
    Any rine with a teammate around could stop the gorge though, so that only effects rambo marines.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    We've come a long way if a mini-game is the only way to make gorges a fun class to play.
    It's a fun mini-game- Collecting and harvesting marines, putting them into cocoons so they can became pretty butterflies!
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i think it would be best if there was a way you could "design" your webs (so it looks like a spider web or anything else you want), much like you can "design" your clog wall, and they would be an additional toy for the gorge to decorate it's fortifications. but the functionality could be pretty much the same as in ns1 (JP rush, rambo marine stopper). that's just an idea and what i imagined
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    Would be fun, but it'd be even more fun if you actually made the gorge a proper combat engineer so minecraft and healspamming wasn't the only thing it can spend its time on. :P
  • LutherLuther Join Date: 2012-05-29 Member: 152714Members
    Didn't ns1 have some sort of web mechanic? I swear I remember doing a from point to point strate line webs that would slow down people who run threw it, that stuff was awesome, I wish it was in ns2.
  • SplicerSplicer Join Date: 2012-04-23 Member: 150952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982113:date=Sep 23 2012, 11:52 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 23 2012, 11:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think it would be best if there was a way you could "design" your webs (so it looks like a spider web or anything else you want), much like you can "design" your clog wall, and they would be an additional toy for the gorge to decorate it's fortifications. but the functionality could be pretty much the same as in ns1 (JP rush, rambo marine stopper). that's just an idea and what i imagined<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I'd be happy just getting NS1 web back. It was fun! Well, fun for gorges anyway.

Maybe have it decay over time, so you can't just spray and run but you can maintain an area.