Fair teams has to be fixed

hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
Right now the biggest problem I see with the game is people leaving a server (rage quit or bored) which then basicly makes the other team steam roll the game and basicly raping the other team.

A good % of the games I play end with the either team rage quiting. Either from stalemates or stacked teams. So (in my opinion) this is a serious issue with the game.

Well as of right now if somebody leaves, and somebody joins the other side....their RES starts over at 0.

Why would you want to even the teams? Why would you not only join the side that's loosing...but loose all your res in the process.

So its pretty obvoius that something needs to be done. But...should you just auto balance the another player and make him loose his ability/upgraded weapon?

Well while I would love players to just switch teams when there's a huge number advantage...this doesn't happen.

What I suggest is if you switch teams when there is a unbalance it basicly CASHES in your used RES. So it keeps your current res plus what you spent.

This way if the teams are unbalanced it makes it actually worth a players interest to even the teams.

If a player doesn't auto balance in a certain period of time you could either A) switch the last person who joined the server or B) switch the highest skilled player to the opposing side

But please give the team that higher players enough time and notice that the player who would like to join, join the other side. This only force somebody to move if enough time has passed. (maybe somebody will join the server)

Another option instead of "FORCING" players to switch teams (which is annoying) is give them the option not to, but balance in other aspects.

If a the teams are 10 to 5. The team with the fewer players should get more res per second. (If this is already implemented I havn't noticed it) So in this example either double or triple the fewer players team res per second.

Either option, either forced or multiplying the fewer side....please allow players to keep there res if they switch teams. Its SUPER annoying to switch teams to balance and you loose your res.

Comments

• DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ragequitting is a social issue, not a game issue. RTS games like Starcraft have the same problems, if a player drops or quits in a team game, the rest of their team will suffer. In a team game, you do need your team.

It sounds to me like the servers you play on have a lot of players who are sore losers, or who are impatient to finish the round so they can start a new one and try again. (nothing wrong with the latter) I will admit I would like to see a votable "surrender" option for those moments where you know it's over. Right now the game will not end unless every last person on one team quits, and that's a problem for the few who are left.

There was a lengthy discussion on this already in another thread, I do believe.
  • hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
    Ah I did a search didn't find it. (not doubting you saying I suck at searching)

Well it is the games fault when a good % of games end like this and nothing can be done.

If teams can't be evened out, because 2 people left then theres a problem in the game.

Somebody might say "Well let that team win then and start over"

Well, no. That shouldn't be a way to win the game, its a hole in the system. I don't enjoy steam rolling a team, or getting owned. Needs to a easier for players to switch teams. Allow me to switch teams on a fly when people rage quit. Or balance some other way.

Yes, it sucks they are rage quiting, but in most games when people do this it is autobalanced, and as of right now you can't implement this becauase of issues with res.

But...if this is aleady discussed to death, please delete post. Just hope the dev's know that this is something that HAS to be addressed before launch. This is up there in problems, this is right up at the top of the list that has to be resolved before launch. This happens in a majority of my games. Granted I only have 43 hours logged. Not a hard core gamer. But, this is one of the reasons that keeps me from logging more hours.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The cause of 90% of uneven teams is the party room...
    Think before you party.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981180:date=Sep 21 2012, 06:32 AM:name=RockyMarc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RockyMarc @ Sep 21 2012, 06:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cause of 90% of uneven teams is the party room...
    Think before you party.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't. I'm too busy partying!
  • CitronasCitronas Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155742Members
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121063&view=findpost&p=1980432" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1980432</a>
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981187:date=Sep 20 2012, 11:53 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Sep 20 2012, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't. I'm too busy partying!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2012
    Fixing the join random bug would help a lot already (or is it fixed this patch?).

I have had so many games that started with teams of 10vs8 on our 18 slot server. Most people don't even think of switching teams then, because they don't want to lose their precious 25 res. I already suggested to let people keep a percentage of their res when switching teams (maybe server defined) or to let them keep all of their res up to a maximum of n (server defined).

I don't like forcing players to join the other team, because they feel personally insulted when I do it.

Auto balance would lead to more rage quitting.

All in all the only thing that can really fix unfair teams are fair players.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    This happens all the time on the servers i play on stalemate or what have you one team will be then stacked for the WHOLE game, no one wants to even the teams and lose their res and an easy win.

I got all ###### at people on the servers calling them bad sports coz its 4v7 or something and no one wants to even the teams. It should be forced like in CS after a certain time. If that player doesnt like it then he leaves evidently helping even the teams.

Something needs to be done though because it does ruin alot of games because of team stacking.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    It should just be done automatically at respawning and if its done automatically, people won't lose their pres.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981180:date=Sep 20 2012, 09:32 PM:name=RockyMarc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RockyMarc @ Sep 20 2012, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cause of 90% of uneven teams is the party room...
    Think before you party.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its those darn gorges on those polls. So irresistible...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I still think there needs to be a comm-instituted surrender vote. It would effectively be like resigning in SC1/2 or Chess.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981192:date=Sep 21 2012, 07:39 AM:name=Citronas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Citronas @ Sep 21 2012, 07:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121063&view=findpost&p=1980432" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1980432</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the link, that's some good news in regard to teambalance, and anticheat.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1981221:date=Sep 21 2012, 03:01 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 21 2012, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still think there needs to be a comm-instituted surrender vote. It would effectively be like resigning in SC1/2 or Chess.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Marine commander already has that, now they just need one for the aliens.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981187:date=Sep 20 2012, 09:53 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Sep 20 2012, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't. I'm too busy partying!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+2

Fair teams will never exist although being able to join a team when they are already +1 needs work.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981192:date=Sep 21 2012, 08:39 AM:name=Citronas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Citronas @ Sep 21 2012, 08:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121063&view=findpost&p=1980432" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1980432</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Excellent, I can't wait for this feature, it will definitely help in games with stackers/leavers.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One of the biggest upsets is because of the early games, and it is terrible that this game does not have a 'get ready' feature or warm up timer like other games.

If teams are stacked or people join up late, they miss the early game and the first few minutes are so important for expansion.

Once people join sides the first people to jump in the comm chairs should reset the game (i.e. you require both commanders in their chairs). It then starts after a 20 seconds countdown with those two commanders starting in the chairs. It should then random anyone left in the readyroom.

This will solve lots of issues, such as not having a commander from the start, people afk'ing in the ready room... etc.

Something like this needs to be done.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    The reason many people rage quit is simply because there is no leadership. You need both a commander with a mic and someone in the action with a mic to tell people what to do, if you're being ordered around with people and dying its alot less frustrating than running around blindly dying over and over.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    As mentioned - quitting (I won't call it rage quitting, there's a difference) is a social issue rather than a game issue. A few thoughts:

- you lose your Pres because you know the location of your former team's structures and strength, so it's a fair trade off in my mind.

- quitting is a valid result if your team really has suffered such a serious setback that the game will inevitably end. That said, I have played a surprisingly high number of games where I thought "this game is over, gg" only to have the battle turn around. That's the message that should get out: hang in there, and anything can happen. I recall a great competitive match where the marine team refused to surrender, despite having base after base be destroyed. They relocated each time, and eventually set up a ninja phase gate (remember those, with power packs?) and took down a hive, then another, then won the game. It was amazing to watch.

- I think the real problem as alluded by the OP is the level of skill on teams - if it's stacked on one side, it's no fun for the other side (and frankly, wouldn't it be boring on the stacked side?). I think a server-side "balancing" option should be developed, which takes into account a player's K/D ratio or stats from a centralized server or some such. Or, better yet, a gather-style team-captain approach to select teams in addition to the current system. Either of these would even out the skill levels (yes, fat kid gets picked last, which would probably be me).

I also like Runteh's ideas a lot.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Veteran players chosing to play on different teams always helps balance.

The 'voterandom' command in some servers isn't bad either but it can give very unbalanced teams of course.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981750:date=Sep 22 2012, 09:32 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Sep 22 2012, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think a server-side "balancing" option should be developed, which takes into account a player's K/D ratio or stats from a centralized server or some such. Or, better yet, a gather-style team-captain approach to select teams in addition to the current system. Either of these would even out the skill levels (yes, fat kid gets picked last, which would probably be me).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I will never play on a server that auto-balances based on performance. Ever. It would feel like you are getting punished for playing the game well. "Oh, you're having a good run on the Marine side and enjoying a game? Guess what, now you get to lose!"
    Captains picking would only work in tightly-knit server communities where everyone knows everyone, or in groups of friends. Outside of that, it will feel like you're being judged, and be really annoying for the last-picked players. Besides, if you really want this, get a group of people to have a game night, and do it without game support. :P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981225:date=Sep 21 2012, 01:12 AM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Sep 21 2012, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marine commander already has that, now they just need one for the aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It would be better if it was a vote rather than a unilateral decision by the comm.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981716:date=Sep 22 2012, 01:39 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Sep 22 2012, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One of the biggest upsets is because of the early games, and it is terrible that this game does not have a 'get ready' feature or warm up timer like other games.

If teams are stacked or people join up late, they miss the early game and the first few minutes are so important for expansion.

Once people join sides the first people to jump in the comm chairs should reset the game (i.e. you require both commanders in their chairs). It then starts after a 20 seconds countdown with those two commanders starting in the chairs. It should then random anyone left in the readyroom.

This will solve lots of issues, such as not having a commander from the start, people afk'ing in the ready room... etc.

Something like this needs to be done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed, the game should start the moment both comms get into the CC/Hive.
  • RowenRowen Join Date: 2012-05-04 Member: 151545Members
    If the game had records of individual players I guess it'd be possible to give each one a handicap, making skilled players count as more than one when balancing teams. Two skilled players with a value of 1,5 would count as 3 moderately good players on the opposite team.

It'd be tricky to balance and not that hard to fool, though.